Robert Bowley

Robert D Bowley

I was first diagnosed with NSCLC in August of 2017 after a biopsy confirmed stageIV lung cancer. My initial prognosis was 9-24 months to live. After several tests my oncologist said I was a candidate for immunotherapy. In Sept of 2017 I was put on Tarceva and that lasted approximately 18 months before my scans started showing signs of progression. My next treatment after discussing options was to go on Tagrisso. This treatment worked really well for about 4 years. I had a doctors appointment on Wed. the 9th of Nov 2022 to discuss my recent CT scan. The scan showed 5 nodules (3 on one side and2 on the other side) that have increased in size. It was suggested that we do another scan in 60 days for comparison purposes. In the meantime the unknown has led to a lot of anxiety. Can anyone relate to this scenario?

Hi Robert, and welcome. You've had an inspiring run! Here's hoping this latest nodule development will be addressed swiftly. I have had some nodules but they were teeny and resolved themselves. Whenever I've asked my oncology-radiologist how we'll know we need to take action, she says it's simple: "It will grow." 

I'd be nervous about waiting 60 days if the nodules have already shown an increase in size. If you could get someone else to look at the scans-- not just the report-- I think now's the time.   

Karen

Hi Robert. Has your oncologist suggested a new biopsy (tissue or liquid) for biomarker testing? Depending on the size of the nodules, will you be seeing a radiation oncologist in the meantime? I agree with Karen that another opinion would be wise. 

Robert,

Welcome here.

I'd ask your medical oncologist to refer you to a radiation oncologist for a precision radiation consultation. Depending on the location of your nodules, precision radiation may be able eliminate them with several short treatments. Here is more information on radiation used to treat lung cancer.

Doubtless, your oncologists will need to work in tandem because your new nodules indicate the need for systemic chemotherapy but many of us have had good results adding radiation as a treatment method.

Stay the course.

Tom

Wow Robert so sorry to hear.  I’m on chemo for my esophagus cancer w the lung cancer in remission.  But I’m not a fan of chemo and want to stop.  If my stage 4 lung is going to come rearing back, I question the point of chemo.  Hang in there

Hi Robert,

I had a similar experience with Tagrisso, where my tumour grew from 6.7cm to 9.8cm within a month. But I think it was a wrong diagnosis since I do not have EGFR biomarker after doing my second biopsy.

The doctors might present other treatments such as chemotherapy and/or radiation. The side effects will be more painful, but something that you'll get use to just like Tagrisso. Hang in there, and I hope all the best.

Cheers