Gastroscopy and nodule

catlady91

My mum had a gastroscopy as she's been having problems with her stomach for a long time. They said that everything seems normal and that they saw a hiatus hernia and a small nodule. The nurse didn't seem to concerned and said that they always do a biopsy as it's just procedure. I think my mum had a biopsy for something relating to the stomach ages ago. When the nurse said nodule I immediately panicked and can't remember what she said but she didn't seem too concerned. My mum had her last CT scan at the end of November so surely something would have showed up? 

I did some reading and read that gastric metastasis is extremely rare and when I Googled stomach nodules it came up with polyps (they don't seem to call them nodules but polyps) which are mostly always benign and can be caused my medications (my mum takes a lot of meds so very possible) and over acidity and ulcers (which my mum has had). 

Am I thinking into this too much? 

Hi there, no you are not overthinking, it is only normal to worry when one is already dealing with cancer, let alone lung cancer. However, it may very well be a benign simple issue that does not warrant worrying at all.

My mom was having stomach issues for years  (acid reflux, coughing fits) that come and go. After my LC diagnosis I harassed her to do a CT for chest. Chest looked OK but they saw something in stomach they could not identify. She got an MRI for abdomen. MRI showed lump like shadow in stomach. Doctor offered gastroscopy. She finally had it recently and they did 2 biopsies. Pathology came back benign, likely muscle nodule she had from birth. I was so worried too but she was fine in the end. 

My point, try to calm down until you know the final biopsy pathology report. Fingers crossed it is nothing to worry about. Keep us posted.

Thank you for your replies everyone. My mum went for another ultrasound of the kidney and vaginal area the other day as she's been having discomfort (they didn't find anything) and she spoke to a very nice doctor who said it's common for people over 60 to have nodules and growths and that they're mostly benign. The nurse from the gastroscopy said that doing a biopsy is standard even if they don't think there's anything concerning. I hope that everything is ok. I think I'm just super worried about everything because of the trauma of my mum's diagnosis. 

Of course you are concerned.  Once we suffer from this disease we never really feel that we are "out of the woods" completely.  I'm thrilled that so far nothing bad is showing up and my prayer is that nothing does and whatever discomfort she is having can be treated palliatively.

Lou

Palliative seems to mean different things in different places. Here in BC, when I mentioned palliative care to my doctors they looked bewildered as they seem to only use the word to describe end of life care. At my cancer centre they call it "pain and symptom management" when it is care offered to help reduce effects of illness or treatment.

LilyMir,

Thanks for that insight.  Having had relatives that employed it in the US it was intended to reduce side effects and provide comfort, but can be used during treatment that is "curative" in nature.  I would consider "end of life" care under the heading of Hospice, but again, Canada may have different definitions.

Lou

That's very true. In the UK palliative usually means end of life with the aim of treatment being to alleviate pain, not to control or get rid of cancer. I've read on some American sites that palliative doesn't mean end of life or terminal but it can be used together with curative treatment as you say. I really hope everything will be ok and fate won't deal us an unlucky hand just as it's close to my mum's third year cancerversary and almost two and a half years of being NED.