Latest scan results

Well I just had a follow up CT scan to see if whatever it is in my right upper lung has grown since the one I had in December and the inconclusive biopsy  that was done at the same time. The results of the scan show that it is indeed growing and it is time to take it out to see just what exactly it is. Surgeon said this morning it’s possible that it is benign but that she feels it is most likely malignant. The good news is she also feels that we have caught it very early. So, I’m optimistic that regardless of what is going in, it’s going to have a good outcome. Surgery is scheduled for May 6th and will involve a stay in the hospital of 1 or 2 nights if all goes well. I’m not looking forward to having this done but will be glad to have it over with so we can move on to whatever is next. As I digest this and get closer to the surgery, I’m sure I’ll have questions for everyone here and any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the update on your scans.  I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing growth, but it's not unusual.  My nodule was discovered in Jan. '19 and was so small they waited three months to see what might happen.  Three months later it had grown but after an inconclusive PET Scan and failed CT-guided Biopsy they opted for surgery.  Prior to the operation I asked the surgeon what the chance was that it was not malignant and he told me "about 10%".  He went on to explain that while most nodules are benign the malignant ones are more apt to grow.  I had my surgery in May '19 and it resulted in a lower-right lobectomy.  Since that time I've been NED and leading a full life.  My prayers are that if it is malignant you'll have the same kind of outcome.

In the meantime you may want to take a look at a blog I wrote titles "Thoracic Surgery Tips & Tricks".  It will cover pre-surgery prep, the hospital stay, and post-surgery recovery.  In the meantime please ask any questions that you may have.

Lou

Thank you Lou! My journey is starting out just like yours did and I hope to have the same good results you’ve had. I will definitely look at the blog and appreciate the recommendation. 
The one question neither my husband or I thought to ask is, how long does surgery take? I know it probably depends on what they do once they get into the lung but are we talking an hour, 3 hours or ?

Just read the blog. Thank you, it’s very helpful! One (other) question. Are you able to lift your arms over your head after surgery? The answer will dictate what I take to the hospital to wear home.

Feeling for you Blossomsmom!  It sounds like this is the right way to go.  Wishing you well as you proceed and prepare.  I've read so many posts the last several months and people seem to do well overall with even two lobes removed, let alone one.  Hopefully your surgery is even smaller than that!?  Please keep us posted though I'm sure you will.  I'm actually in a similar boat though a rescan in July....

Thank you Livin Life for your response. I’m hoping that all the surgery will involve is taking the tumor and surrounding tissue out but trying to prepare in the event it’s a little more than that. I won’t know the extent until I wake up after it’s over. 
I’ll hold a good thought for your rescan in July. Waiting is hard I know.

My surgery was done robotic VATS (Visually Assisted Thoracic Surgery) so it was more endoscopic.  In my case I was told I was under for about 6 hours.  I know of others who have been under less and more.  It will really depend on what they find and what is being excised, and anything else that they want to check out during the procedure.  The good news is I wasn't aware of any of it.  

After my surgery I was able to raise my arms, but my right-side (the side of my surgery) was sore for a while.  In the beginning I'd get up, walk around the house for 10 minutes and then sleep for an hour.  Over time the walks became longer and the sleep shorter.  That will depend on how you prepare yourself for the surgery.  I normally do 5 miles a day and then weights (not a body builder, just trying to keep everything working) but it took me a few weeks to get my first 10k steps (~1 mile).  My advice is; take care of yourself before the surgery (food, sleep, and moving), and after; use the spirometer, move as much as possible (don't overdo it), eat healthy and get good rest.  Over time you'll be surprised quickly you'll recover strength.  Right after surgery I spent time being breathless after any exertion but over time that improved so don't be frightened by it unless it is serious then speak with your doctor.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you've got friends here and you won't go through this alone.

Lou

Thanks Lou, I appreciate all the valuable information! I started walking a couple of months ago after being sedentary for way too long. Weather permitting, I’m up to between 3 or 4 miles a day. Hoping this helps in my recovery a little. I’m guessing by what you said, it will take a while to get back up to that. My immediate concern when I come home from the hospital is we have a 2 story house & our bedroom is upstairs. I can sleep downstairs in my husbands recliner if necessary but would rather not. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Being breathless or short of breath freaks me out. My daughter will be here when I get home. She’s an ER nurse so am hoping she can talk me through that. The last thing I want is to panic and end up in the ER. 

Since I’m retired, I have lots of time to rest and recover. I will be motivated to get back on my feet as we are planning a 12 day cruise out of London the end of August. It will definitely give me something to work toward.

Ask if they will be performing a Rapid On Site Evaluation.   They look at the tissue right there in the operating room.  (Some have separate rooms but close)   

You've already started the rehab and it is going to go a long way towards your recovery.  Follow their plan and move as much as possible.   

Edivebuddy, thank you for your reply!  Yes, the surgeon said they will do the rapid on site evaluation. Sounded like the results of that will dictate how much of my lung she’ll remove. Guess I’ll find that out when I wake up.

I will definitely do what they tell me to do. I really want to be back on my feet as quickly as reasonably possible.

I may be wrong but I am going to go out on a limb and predict that you will feel much better cutting that vile thing out! I did!

Glad you caught it early. You got this

Thank you Karen L, I appreciate it! I’m anxious to get it over with. I find my mind wondering to it what seems to be all the time. I listen to books on my daily walk and seem to miss most of what’s said LOL.

TJM, you’re absolutely right! I’ll feel much better when whatever it is is gone. Knowing that it will be caught early is the only reason I’m not hitting the panic button for sure. I appreciate your encouragement, it does help!