Odd Question

Hebbie

Hi Everyone,

I have had a thyroid condition (Hypothyroidism) since the early 90's. They hit me with a "radioactive isotope", which pretty much zapped my overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) into oblivian to slow it down, and then requires taking a a daily dose of sythetic thyroid hormone (Synthroid) to keep it normal. :roll:

About 6 months after radiation/chemo, during routine blood work w/ my thyroid doc, he noted that my dosage needed to be increased. Now, after another round of bloodwork, he just called to say it needs to be increased again. Not that big of a deal, except for the fact that things have been pretty stable w/ my dosage for YEARS. He doesn't seem to think there is anything going on and said that my body just needs more right now to make the thyroid function normal. But you know me -- WHY is it "off" right now?

It started me wondering -- does anyone know if radiation treatment could have fried whatever was remaining of my thyroid, therefore causing me to need a higher dosage of synthroid? I know that some of you have thyroid issues as well -- has this happened to you? I might put in a call to my radiation oncologist, but figured I would start with my personal panel of experts first!

Heather

Ok, somewhere in what is left of the back of my mind I remember reading an article about a woman that had her thyroid destroyed by too much radiation. She then had to go on medicaiton etc. So the answer is yes, they could have over zapped you.

Seems like this was in some magazine I read in a waiting room somewhere...

Guest Phyllis

Hi, My thyroid started dropping month after month, but I don't remember why my oncologist said that was. It wasn't the radiation. I hadn't had radiation at that time in about a year. What he told his students was that you should always check the thyroid level in cancer patients. I was freaking out thinking I had some type of degenerative thyroid problem on top of everything else. It stabilized after about 4 months to 1.25, which my throat surgeon said was within the normal range (I don't have a thyroid gland). It knocked me for a loop when my thyroid would drop. It just made you so tired.

I had my thyroid zapped about 17 years ago and have been on the same dosage of synthroid for about 15 years. When I had it checked this year it was WAYYYYY out of whack and I had to adjust the dosage. I am at 175mcg a day right now. I always wondered if the radiation they zapped me with to kill off 2/3 of my thyroid played a part in my cancer since it started very near the same location????

Good Luck and God Bless,

MO

Mo,

I was wondering the same thing about hebbie and her cancer so was glad you asked the question. Did you ask your onc or other doctors, not that they would say or even know, but I wonder. Mine started in the exact place they did a biopsy 18 years ago during a bronchospy (sp)--to look for what else?? LC. There is some kind of sick irony in that, isn't there?

Elaine

I was hyper thyroid when I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I had lost more than 40 pounds. They all said this is not a good thing! They gave me the radio active pill, told me they were not going to be fussy for their goal was to zap it right away. Right after this I started my chemo and daily radiation, and they were still trying to regulate the thyroid and decide how much I needed. I take 150 mcg a day . Sorry that is not much help as all was happening at the same time and who knows which

( the radioactive pill or the radiation) knocked it out. My only point is they were worried about the thyroid being too high, not about it being too low. Donna G

Guest Karen C

Hi, I just had to jump into the discussion even though I'm not the cancer patient, but I was recently diagnosed as hypo thyroid and my doc put me on .50mcg (is that right) a day of synthroid. I since found out it runs in my family and a bunch of us, including my Dad and a brother, have it. I can't tell you how tired I was, but just attributed it to the stress of having a husband with LC, a two year old, and a pretty long day every day. Now after about six weeks I am starting to feel normal again I think. ANYWAY, I would certainly think that radiation to your chest area could do something to your thyroid, but am curious if something else about LC or its treatment does it. I also am going to make sure Dave gets his thyroid checked as well, especially if this could do a number on his. He's just so tired all the time. I know chemo and brain radiation especially knock you out for a long time, but he ended chemo last June and PCI was last September and he's still very fatigued.

Would love to know the real answer to this, if there is one!

Karen Chapman (David C's wife)

Guest Phyllis

My thyroid was underactive. They now check it every 6 weeks per my oncologist orders. I will ask them the next time I go for a treatment. I feel soooo much better when my thyroid is working. But my thyroid came out, and then the lung cancer developed. Of course they removed a lot of tissue in that area.

Oddly enough, I just filled my new (higher) dose of Synthroid this evening and was reviewing the sheet that comes along with the meds. (Something I haven't bothered to look at in years) I looked at the side effects and the what-to-avoid-while-taking-this-medication information -- now, I always knew to take it at opposite times of day from my vitamins (which I have always done) and I have always known that I was SUPPOSED to take the food on an empty stomach, 1-2 hours before/after eating....however, I usually remember to take it right around the same time I am eating breakfast. Not usually a problem, but for the past 6 months I have been eating a big old bowl of Old Fashioned Oatmeal EVERY MORNING.

What did I read on this medication sheet from the drug store???? DIETARY FIBER CAN BIND THIS MEDICATION FROM ABSORBING PROPERLY AND DECREASE THE EFFECTS. Would you say that oatmeal is a "dietary fiber".....uh....yeah! :oops:

Which may possibly explain why my levels had suddenly gone wacky between August testing and January testing. Now, I may be wrong, but I think I will try taking it on an empty stomach and see what the next round of testing in 6 weeks turn up.

How ridiculous would it be if it were that simple???

As far as wondering if the two doses of radioactive isotope I had to lower my overactive thyroid contributed in some part to my lung cancer....I have often wondered about that....and my mom will swear to this day that it directly caused it. My doctors don't seem to say one way or the other. Interesting to read of other's similar experiences though.....

Hi Heather.....I'm also "hypo"thyroid and I take 1.25 mg Synthroid daily. There are two things I've learned about this drug in the last 4 yrs.........It works much better if taken "ALONE" on an empty stomach...so I take it when I first get up in the morning and wait an hour or so before taking my other meds. The second thing I've learned the hard way is that the generic equivalents of Synthroid don't work for me. My doctor writes my scrips for SYNTHROID....'no substitions'. These are the things that work for me....maybe they can help you feel better too. It also might help to know Synthroid has been cited in the past for 'shoddy manufacturing practices' causing highly variable medicinal qualities.............see this article: http://www.spancoalition.org/NewNews/MainNews/7.23.01M.htm