Back from Va.

-Cheryl-

Hello Everyone,

I got in late last night from my trip home for my Papaw's funeral. I am trying to get caught up on everyone's posts. It was a long trip to the south-western part of Va., in the Appalachian mountains. The trip took 32 hours of driving in the car round trip! My sister and I traded off driving. My whole body aches! I saw many relatives that I haven't seen in years. They looked so old, then I realized I too have aged! Ha! The wake and funeral service was "Old Time Baptist." I remember going to church with my Mamaw, it was pretty frightening as a child. I asked her what was wrong with the man beside us holding his ears who was speaking in tongues. She said, "Oh honey, he is just getting happy!" They sing when they preach, and work themselves up to a frenzy. They also sang old blue-grass gospel songs without musical instruments, they don't believe in having musical instruments in the church. It was an era that few will witness today, because it is dying out. Just as the language and culture are dwindling too. I am proud to have come from that hertitage. Thank you all for your responses. Prayers for you all.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Glad to see you back on. I was away for two weeks, and when I got back was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear about your Papaw. Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Faylene

Cheryl-

So glad to have you back safe and sound. I relate to your "cultural heritage' references and pride as I, too, am the product of folks from the deep, old South (LA) that will never see the same values again. What a wonderful heritage. Blessings.

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome back home. Missed your posts. Glad you had a safe trip and was able to see a lot of relatives you hadn't seen for a while. Make sure you get some rest after this trip and get rid of that achy feeling. You don't need to wear down your immune system and get sick. That is not good. You are always in my prayers. I'll give you a call, maybe this weekend...

Blessings, prayers and gentle hugs,

Karen

Good to have you back home Kiddo! I am so very sorry for your loss.

WOW, that was a LONG ride! But, I'm so glad you were able to make the trip. Sad for the reason why! :cry:

You mean we AGE???? HUMMMM! I thought it was only those around me that aged!!! :shock:8)

Welcome back!! You were missed!

Cheryl,

I am glad to see you back. So sorry about your grampa, we buried mine last year (he'd have been real pissed about that if he hadn't been dead first...). I don't care what anyone says about old folks "living a good life and being ready to go" and it not hurting so much when they die, I cried for days. My grampa was the greatest man, I was so lucky to have had him...

There has been a lot of dying around work lately (gee, maybe it's ME, I'm the common denominator...Snowflake, Angel of Death....nah, can't be!) and at one of the viewings, my spouse commented on how families all get together for funerals. Took a minute, but I think I have the reason why - for funerals, time off is given and paid, BUT, no company will pay time off for a "reunion" of family that DOESN'T center on a death. Pretty morbid, ain't it? Will be making it a point to spend time with LIVING relatives before the big funeral home reunion...

Hope you are recuperating from the drive, that's a long time in ANY position!

Take care,

Becky

Hey Yaw!

The lingo wears off on you ha! Tiny, Jack lived in Bossier La. most of his life. Whereabouts are you from in La.? I love that cajun food! Jack and I met in college at La. Tech in Ruston. Connie, I don't think I realized just how old I was getting till I saw everyone back home. I haven't any kids, so I am not reminded as much I think- I avoid mirrors these days anyways! Becky, you are absolutely right about "why more relatives make it to funerals, instead of reunions." I got time off for the funeral, which didn't cut into my vacation or sick time. Karen I look forward to talking to you soon.

As for the rest of you, Mo, Bruce, Don, and Frank, et al. You guys really know how to cheer a girl up.

Thanks,

Cheryl