Guest singlecancermom

Guest singlecancermom

single mom of 3 teens with nsclc, diagnosed feb 2003 almost completed 37 rad treatments, recieve chemo weekly just praying for a great outcome, like us all, its been hard for me mentally and financially, i went through being depressed, but i know i have to stay strong for myself and my kids. ive been browsing this site and i feel good and glad i found the site, i get very lonely, this is the first time i have not worked in 17 years, been home since february. from the radiation im having difficulty swallowing, it is so painful, i try pain killers, eating cold foods, mylanta, and i stay so hungry so i deal with the pain any other suggestions please let me know

Hi Mom.

It sounds like you are indeed a strong person. I'm glad you are finally registered - there's some great people here - and a lot of cancer knowledge and experience. I sort of did the same as you, browsed for a couple weeks before getting up enough nerve to sign on and write my first message. You've been through quite a bit in the last three months; I hope the results of your treatment are good. Consider yourself an experienced cancer treatment receiver, that is, someone who can now give some comforting advice to the many new people on the board who have yet to go through treatment, and don't quite know what to expect.

Glad you're here,

David P

Dear Mom,

Sorry to meet you this way - but WELCOME.

My husband took Carafat during his radiation and continued it until the Rx was gone.

He also had an Rx for "Magic Mouthwash" which numbs the esophagus for a few minutes so you can eat - you need the nutrition. That is really the name that the druggist typed on the bottle label.

Glad you are here - you will find this site very useful and comforting.

Guest singlecancermom

thanks ginny, i will check with the DR and find out about this magic mouthwash. ive been in so much pain the last few days, ive tried extra strength tylenol, due to the fact cant afford to fill my prescription right now, hopefully in a few days i will, you take care, so glad to hear from someone, hope to hear from you again, god bless

Hi Single Mom,

Boy, what a load to carry...and I'm not just talking about the LC!!!! You've already been through a lot and are still hanging in there. So sorry for the need to welcome you here, but hope you continue to visit and interact with us. People here are very sensitive to needs and provide intimate, caring information and support.

Dear Single Mom,

Welcome to the board. When I was getting radiation, the group had a nutritionist who met with me once a week. She suggested that I buy Aloe Vera Juice which makes food go down a little easier. Also, why don't you call the doctor about your discomfort and ask for samples of pain medication? Just a thought.

I hope you are feeling better soon,

Ada

Guest singlecancermom

thanks for your reply ada, on thursday i did get some oxycontin, which is not helping the pain , just makes me sleepy, dr also gave me magic mouth wash which is to numb my throat , well it only does for about 5 minutes. it feel like my food stops in my chest, i do a lot of burping, the pain is at the bottom, i believe i have acid reflux too, im going to have the dr look more, i have chemo on monday, should be my last, and i have 2 more rad treatments. im so glad to have found this site,,, thanks everyone for the replies

Hi mom,

Welcome to the group. I have one teenager and can't image dealing with 3. I have to say our relationship has improved since my diagnosis, partly because he is being nicer and partly because I don't worry about the little things as much. I hope yours are supportive and helpful to you, I still have a problem motivating mine. I had a swallowing problem like yours. It felt like an obstacle course in my chest where I had the radiation. I ate slower and chewed more. You might try the carnation instant breakfast, you really need to keep your nutrition up. Maybe you could add ice cream in the blender. Come back often and let us know how you are doing.

Jenny

Single Mom, I would look into taking something like Nexium for the acid reflux. Ask your onc. My wife was suffering with acid reflux, brought on by the treatments, and she has had no problem with that since going on Nexium. I believe pain, burping, nausea are all tied in together. You should ask your onc. to try other pain medications until you find one that works for you. Good luck, and keep in touch here. Don

Guest singlecancermom

thanks to everyone for your replies. any suggestions you all are giving i am trying, Dr did prescribe prevacid,,, jun 2 was last chemo treatment today jun 3 last radiation, will go for CAT SCAN in 4-8 weeks. i need the break i have been going strong with all the treatment since march 3 radiation daily and chemo weekly. so im going to rest and get my strength back the next few months. once again im glad i found this site, my prayers are with everyone

Hi Single Mom,

Am glad you found this sight. So much knowledge is here. My husband experienced the same thing regarding swallowing. He had it for months because of the different times he had radiation. I feel that it is from the radiation more then the chemo. I asked on this forum about his problem and some came back and said to try popcycles before you eat. He felt to sick with this pain to try that and he just went along loosing weight until about two weeks ago and he is now swallowing okay. His last radiation was April 24 so it was about 4 wks after that that he is now able to eat okay. I asked him this morning how it was and he said okay now. I never thought this day would come for him. It was a bad experience. he tried all kind of meds and nothing worked. Pain meds caused shortness of breath and so he could not take any of that. I did make him lots of homemade vegetable soup and chicken soup with gave him the nutritions he needed. He is now looking somewhat better because of the ability to eat so hang in there, it to will go away after the radiation is over. God bless.....

Hi, its me again, I am new at the computer so I thought I was logged in before but it brought me on as Guest. I am the one who's husband had this problem. I meant to also tell you that he had two BA swallowing tests and they both showed no radiation burn at the time. That was very confusing to the dr beings my husband was in so much pain when swallowing. No matter what he tried, nothing really worked until it cured itself and it will yours too. God Bless.