Start 1st round of chemo tomorrow

Addie

Today was an ultrasound of the ovarian "lesion" picked up by the abdominal CT last Friday. Good news....there are NO blood vessels in whatever it is....cyst or perhaps adhesions. I'll need to follow up with another U/S next month, but it's nothing that will alter the plan to start chemo, so I'll get my first dose tomorrow. The second and third doses in this cycle will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, due to the weekend and holiday.

A bit unconventional, perhaps, to have one dose with three days between that and the next dose...but I'm just glad to get the ball rolling. It's been 17 days since the diagnosis, and while all my tests were clean of mets......for how long could I *count* on them staying that way?

I guess if this were swimming lessons...this is the point at which I'd be jumping in with both feet.....huh?

Hang in there Addie - it's not nearly as bad as you're probably imagining.

Get that mind power working in positive ways - as you're receiving your chemo, imagine it dissolving those nasty cancer cells.....

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Addie,

I'll be thinking of you as you start your chemo treatments. Oh, how I remember my first...scared, emotional and only got through it because my daughter had come from Tucson to go with me. Now I go by myself and become impatient for them to start me, so I can get out of there and go on with my life. I hope everything goes well for you and that it is easy on you. I'll be watching for your post-chemo post.

Praying for you,

Margaret

Dear Addie,

Good luck with your treatments. I hope you breeze through them!!! Everyone has different experiences with side effects. I know they loaded up my mom with pages of side effects and it wasn't until her fourth treatment that she had some weakness and upset stomach, just from time to time (kinda like a stomach flu coming on). She's 83 and has one more to go. You'll do great, if it gets bumpy for you there are lots of meds to help you along. Good luck and we'll be thinking of you!

Nancy

Addie,

I have been slow to welcome people to the board lately. So I welcome you now. You sound like you have a lot of willpower to beat this monster! I will keep you in my prayers. And don't forget that there are many of us here standing behind you and who will support you all the way.

Elaine

Hi Addie,

Glad you're on your way....hope everything works out well for you....for me, the side effects weren't as bad as I'd imagined.....hope the same goes for you!!

I do the visualization thing too....picturing all these little "space invader" creatures fighting off the bad cells....anything to get through!

Good Luck! Mary

Well, I made it thru the first session. Took about 4.5 hours there....but I brought a good book! :wink:

Got both drugs today....the carboplatin and VP-16. And instead of having to wait till Tuesday for the next round....they have me set up to just go to the oncology unit of the hospital tomorrow and Sunday for rounds 2 and 3. The next two days will be VP-16 only.

So far so good. I had sort of a bland dinner, but am armed with Zofran and Compazine for nausea and Ativan if I can't sleep. I figure I'll take something for the nausea on the schedule they gave me...in hopes that it won't kick in. She said getting both drugs today might make me more apt to be nauseated than the next two days will.

Sheesh...some of the possible side effect to the anti nausea drugs sound almost worse than nausea!! :?

I appreciate everyone's prayers and "cheerleading"....and you've got my prayers in return! My visualization symbol is little yellow hard hats!! 8) Lots of them, coursing around in my body and keeping the cancer contained right where it is until the chemo eradicates it!

The day I first met with the oncologist....I swear....on the way to his office we pulled up to a stoplight and in front of us was a yellow VW beetle that looked JUST like a hard hat on wheels! :lol: It had a sticker on the back with a name that is one of my hubby's nicknames! Now you tell ME that wasn't some sort of sign...eh?

Hard hats, it is! And they're working for me even as I type!! :wink:

Hi Addie and here's hoping all goes well for you and your treatment's. :wink: My wife just finished her second round of cisplatin/vp16 with 3 day's in a row every 21 day's.She is doing much better this time than from the 1st round.I'd like to say it was our battle plan to eat healthy and alot when she felt like it.She has lost a lot of hair and goes through 2-3 day's of total listlessness and sleeping.and her strenght is not to bad either in fact she locked the car key's in the car and walked a mile home to get the spare's.She has not experienced the nausea but has had the metalic taste in her mouth.It look's like everyone has different variation's on how it effect's them.As for the cancer spreading that i can't answer as once again every body is different.God bless and fight the good fight as were all pulling for you.

Good luck Addie! I had very few side effects from the same chemo you're taking. I did feel nausea a bit after one session but they changed my anti-nausea pills and I never had it again. Did have the mettalic taste, but a peppermint took care of that. Take lots of naps and keep up the visualization!

Claris