So sick from chemo - need suggestions

Nancy B

I started chemo last Tues., Wedn. and Thursday - carboplatin and VP16. I was OK (no appetite but OK) til Saturday morning. I was sick all day Sat and Sun (no vomiting just extreme nausea). Thought I felt better today and tried to eat a scrambled egg and toast this morning - didn't work. I am very light headed, weak and nausous. I can't eat anything but jello and saltine crackers. I have tried Boost but it churns up my stomach. I have lost 9 lbs. in 6 days. I am taking Kytril for nausea every 12 hours but don't think it is helping. I am open to any and all suggestions - I just really don't feel good. Of course this all happens on a holiday weekend!!! I will call the doc tomorrow am and change the medication but til then I need help.

Thanks y'all

Nancy

We found that eating a small amount every 2 hours worked better than the usual 3 meals a day. It also helped the nausea by keeping something in the stomach. Try smoothies that you can do in your blender. You can get the base at the grocery store and add the fruits you like. Liquids seem to do better than solids. And definitely keep away from greasy foods. Don

Nancy,

I didn't have your chemo combination, but I found if I took Zofran every 8 hours for about three days after chemo, I didn't have much nausea at all. It's really expensive, but my insurance has a drug plan and it did wonders for me, but they told me at chemo to not wait till I got sick to take it--it doesn't work very well that way. It's more of a preventative thing for a few days after every chemo treatment.

I hate to hear that you're sick--I hope you feel better soon.

Cindy

Oh, Nancy...poor sweetie. I am on the same two chemo drugs...and I also get Zofran by IV prior....plus have pills at home that I take the three days of chemo at night before bed...and I had no nausea, but for one time.

If you're not getting premed by IV of steroids and something for nausea...or if they aren't working...I'd sure ask about the Zofran. That works like a charm for me.

In fact, now that I'm getting radiation too....I get a daily Amifostine shot prior to rad. and it can cause nausea, so I take one daily Zofran pill a half hour or so before the shot.

It's good stuff, I think. Ask about it. And I agree with Don about the many smaller meals and also yogurt smoothies. Dannon makes one that is called Frusion. Only l0 ozs. but the ONE time I got sick I lived on those Frusions once I could keep something down. And I got sick because I'd had a full week of chemo, two shots and two radiation treatments...and after the second one, like a dummy, I ate half a granola bar a half hour later. It didn't sit right and came right back up. Now I wait about 2 hrs. after radiation to eat anything.

Hope you feel better soon. Feeling sick is THE WORST for me....so you have ALL my sympathies. But ask about Zofran or something else if what you're getting is making you THAT sick...because as I said, during chemo I've had not one ounce of queasiness....and neither should you if there is a drug that will stop it!

Feel better soon...and report back in. I'll be worrying about you.

oh Nancy,

I'm so sorry to hear your not feeling well. (under-statement I'm sure)!

I agree with Don in that small amounts of WHAT EVER you can eat as often as possible, is a very good idea. Just try different things and see whats what with your liking! The chemo can screw up your taste buds! Also, ask for another kind of anti-nausea med. You may have to switch a couple of time until you fine what works for you. Don't wait to do that, call them right away.

Hope your doing better real soon. Maybe the next chemo won't be as bad. ((((((NANCY))))))

Love & Hugs,

Con

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

This is probably too late to help since it's tomorrow already. :(

I was on the same 2 chemo drugs and had trouble. I don't think I ate much during that time though I tried. Boost was way too thick for me. I tried Ensure and added Rice Milk to thin it down.

I made myself a pest, each time telling the nurse I got really sick so that they would give me the IV anti-nausea drug before the chemo. Where I was they won't do it unless you ask for it. I also got compazine - every 6 hours - I don't think that helped. Starting the second week, following the chemo days, I would take Anzamet for 3 days in the morning as soon as I got up.

My stomach was still often rocky but it improved quite a bit.

I'm pretty sure when the doc gets you on the right meds, you'll be doing much better.

Cat

Nancy,I'm very sorry to hear that your so sick.I was on carboplatin and Taxol,I got sick like clockwork 2 to 3 days after chemo.(i was on 1 time a week for 7 weeks)I had good luck with eating small amounts more often rather than 2 or 3 big meals.DRINK LOTS OF WATER.It really helps.Also took Compazine for sick tummy.(it helped).DRINK LOTS OF WATER.I hope you soon get feeling better.DRINK LOTS OF WATER.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I was so sick and near fainting when I called the oncologist Tuesday morning. They had me come in right away. I was given iv fluids for two hours and they switched me to Zofran. I had been trying to drink as much water as possible but I was extremely dehydrated. My blood pressure was barely palpable at 60 and she could hardly find a pulse. Next chemo is in two weeks and I go for three days and then the 4th day I will go in just for iv fluids and Zofran. Sure hope that works. I feel so much better today and even was able to eat alittle dinner last night. I lost 9 lbs in 6 days (fortunately I needed to lose the weight) but now see that it was mostly fluid. Oh well, I will think about Atkins or South Beach AFTER chemo. Better yet maybe I will just go to the beach!

Thanks again for all of you just being here. It is so comforting to have a place to go for good information, caring and prayers. I wish I could meet all of you in person......maybe a get-together somewhere between "here and there". I love you all!

Hugs,

Nancy

I'm so glad you went in, Nancy...this was serious stuff!! And I'm even more glad they switched you to Zofran. It seems pretty effective to me.

You said you'll go in now on the fourth day for fluids and Zofran IV...but will they give you Zofran on the chemo days too? They do with me....and other than taking a bedtime pill, as I said, by day 4 I don't need any anti-nausea meds. You might ask about having the Zofran on chemo days too!

I'm so glad you're feeling better and were able to keep some food down. The beach sounds like a great idea to me too....can I join you there post-chemo? Haven't dug my toes into sand for a long time! :)

Keep feeling good...and let us know how the next round goes.

I have been away and am now catching up--

With the breast cancer and the chemo, we used the term "grazing". Lots of yogurt and soup. I willed my appetite to never return, but it did after chemo.

With my last chemo, I took ativan for 24 hours after chemo. LIFE WAS GOOD!!! :lol::lol::lol:

And for me, the first was the worst because I was such a wreck. Once I decided to treat it like the flu, and lay low for a few days, I got a lot of movie time in.

thinking of you

gail

Nancy,

I think Gail has a valid point. What worked for me was to just give in to the fact that most of the time I wasn't working I would lay around and muster my strength back. I felt better for it and was better equipped to handle the next one.

Please please be sure to drink enough water. Not only will dehydration make you feel terrible, that cisplatin is really hard on the kidneys and the more flushed you keep them, the better off you will be......you don't want to do all this to get your health back and then find out you have kidney problems.

I trust you're feeling better now....I sure hope so.

Nancy glad to se you are doing better. I never had your problem, in fact I gained A LOT of weight while on chemo. I have to echo everyone else who said to make sure you are drinking. I kept a quart bottle full of water with me everywhere I went and made it a point to drink at least once every 5 minutes. I visited the little boys room a lot but did not have any problems with dehydration or kidneys. You are in my prayers

David C