Congress - Senate - My fight has begun

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Find your senator

http://www.senate.gov/

Find your congressperson, state and local officials

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Write with the feeling you do when you post here. Don't think you have to write fancy - write from your heart. Ask the questions you do here. Why isn't there more funding for lung cancer when so many people are afflicted with it? Tell them how unfair it is that people with lung cancer are treated in such a negative way by our society because they're thought to bring it on themselves. Almost one half of the people with LC stopped smoking years ago. 1 out of 6 people never smoked. If the tobacco industry has been found responsible for causing people to be more susceptible to cancer, why not fine them more and put that money to cancer research. What about doctors who offer no hope. There is hope somewhere for every cancer but some in the medical community also have negative feelings about people who have lung cancer and may not go out of their way to help these people. Isn't it bad enough, these people can die? Why should they be punished by lousy attitudes as they struggle to overcome the disease?

What about HMO's who care more about making money, who hold back treatment permission until it's too late? What about people who don't have insurance and can't afford the drugs. What the h is wrong with this land of freedom.

Why are the survival rates for all cancers almost the same as they were decades ago. What happened to the War on Cancer. Did it take the money and head to Iraq?

Please - just write or e-mail or fax these people. Let them know we are here. Otherwise, we are INVISIBLE and we will never get the help we need.

The life you save may be your own or that of a loved one.

Thank you all.

Cat

P.S.: If enough of us speak out and loudly enough, we have POWER! Let's start our own War on Cancer.

Cat,

Kudos to everything you said... Im gonna do it as soon as my kids give me more than 5 minutes. I get to post and read in 5 minute intervals, like now while my youngest in splashing in the tub!

I dont know exactly where this would be addressed but...

Who is in charge of coming up with statistics? I know that all of us know to just ignore them, but for new comers with so many worries already, I think it would be better to have the first thing they find while surfing the net for info, recent more hopeful statistics. They are so outdated!

Jamie

Etiquette in writing letters to members of Congress

The Honorable ____________________

United States Senate

Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Senator _____________________

The Honorable ____________________

United States House of Representative

Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representative ________________

(Begin e-mail by Dear Representative ____________ or Dear Senator _____________ )

Jamie

Someone recently posted an article that said the stats on lc hadn't changed. I think that's what my cancer brain read. Hope I am wrong.

One thing though: The stats were new, but still didn't take into account most of the changes that have happened in 2000-2004.

elaine

Cat,

I'm glad you got this started, but I am especially glad that you have them looking into your particular case. I hope that with some outside pressures, your HMO will be more cooperative and you'll finally get answers and treatments you deserve. Concentrate on YOU for right now and take care of yourself.

Margaret

Hi Cat

Good to read your post - them thar sound like fightin' words to me!!!

I wish you great success, and hope that everyone here who is able to will follow your lead.

But, as Margaret said, don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Love,

Karen