Bone Mets

GayleMarie

Hey all,

My mother is in the hospital with a broken fibula. It was horrible. We were trying to get her from the car to the wheelchair after her oncologist visit. I had know idea we were moving her around on such weak bones. They said the fibula in her other leg is in jeopardy to break. We opted not to have surgery as she had 60% chance of coming off the table. They would have had to put steel rods in both legs. Her arm is sore and says she pulled it. She did not. We know now. It is the cancer. The doctor never said be careful of transporting her. I guess we were so naive. She barely knows who we are with all the morphine and is going to be moved to the skilled nursing floor today. My heart is breaking.

All I want to say is be so careful in moving your loved one on these weak bones. If they are painful they are at risk to break. :( I dont know what the answer is but thinking of you all every day...

Gayle

Hi Gayle

I am sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I can't even imagine what it must be like for all of you.

I don't know whether it is something you are interested in looking into right now, but have you noticed that several members of the board are using zometa for bone mets - it is supposed to help strengthen bones and reduce the incidence of bone mets. If you do a google search on 'zometa and lung cancer metastasis' you will find some information.

I am hoping that your mother can be made comfortable.

Take care of yourself too.

Karen

Gayle,

I'm sorry sorry about your mom. I hope you take the advise from Karen and do a search on Zometa. I really don't know anything about it. It's a lot that we don't know. The doctors really don't tell you everything that you need to watch out for. Bless you and your family.

Dee

Hi, Gayle. I am surprised the onc didn't know she had bone mets. As mentioned already, Zometa or Aredia are usually used to strengthen bones when bone mets are a problem. Lucie had a bone met in her fibula and it never hurt her, but it was big enough to cause fracture. Luckily, the bone scan picked it up and it was treated with radiation. Was your mom treated with radiation for the bone mets? Usually, if a bone met causes much pain or is threatening bone integrity, radiation will be used. Don

You guys are the best. I wish I had asked more questions. The onc never knew she had bone mets and the last time we visited him HE asked HER if she had had a PET scan... I thought, you dont know??? I am so disappointed in all of it, why didnt I ask more questions? why didnt we get the pain checked out earlier? I read these posts, I should have known. I thought the onc would do something if there was anything to be done. I just dont want anyone else to make that mistake. It may be too late for the Zometa but i will ask. Since she broke her leg they have told us she has cancer in her pelvic area, lesions in her other leg and that it is at risk to break also, and her shoulder is too sore to move. She has a lump the size of an egg on the back of her head. They never gave us an option for radiation anywhere and I never knew why? He told us she was stable for the last two of her visits!!? How could she have been? I just dont understand. She is in very serious condition and they told us 4 weeks. I am heartbroken, we all are. :(

I think of all of you and read your entries. Don, Karen, Dee, John, Connie B, Thanks for taking the time to reply and wish us best... I wish the best for all of you and your loved ones. This is a horrible disease.

Gayle

Hi Gayle,

My sisters name is Gayle and I always wished it had been mine!! I am so sorry about your sweet Mom. Thank you for the heads up to alert us all about the possibility of really hurting someone we love while we are trying to help them. My prayers are with you all.

God Bless you all,

Jane

Gayle

THis is heartbreaking. I couldn't help being sad and then angry at your mother's doctors for letting this get to such a severe point without doing something about the bone mets. There are no doubt people on this website who could better suggest treatments than some oncs we have been hearing about lately.

I pray your mother and your family find comfort and peace in the days ahead. Pls keep hope alive.

love

elaine

Gayle,

Please, please don't beat yourself up. You have an Onc who you obviously trusted and believed in. You should not be chastizing (sp)yourself for that. It is easy to see what "we should have done" after the fact. I am sorry you and your family are going through this - I would not hesitate to tell the Onc exactly how you feel about his treatment - it may make you feel better. God Bless. Love, Sharon

I second Sharon's motion. Don't beat up on yourself. If you've not been touched by cancer or a serious illness before, you don't know these things. In medicine today, the patient, caregiver, etc. have to be proactive and not rely on the doctors to tell you everything. It is just the way it is. Forums like this offer lots of support and information. Let us know how we may support you. Don

Gayle,

So sorry for your mon and all of you.

We were lucky the doctors told us about the bones,

even if my husband did not have mets.

Zometa is good, hope your doctor will prescribe it.

Prayers going for all of you.

J.C.