Successful Trip

Candy

Well, I DID it. I drove from Massachusetts to South Carolina by myself. Well, not entirely by myself, I had my dog with me. The trip went well and was easier than I had anticipated as far as driving goes. I did get tied up in a traffic jam caused by an accident going down and ended up pretty much parked on Route 95 for 3 hours while they took care of clearing the road. I drove all in one day so it put me at Jeremy's house at 12:30 a.m. when I had left my house at 5:00 a.m. I am always amazed at the range of emotions I go through since Hugh died. I was elated that I had found the courage to drive so far by myself and sad much of the way because I knew how much fun Hugh and I would have had making the trip together. We always broke up our long trips into a couple of nights so we could get off the beaten track and enjoy the trip as well. I can't say I thought of this trip as anywhere near something to enjoy. The drive was a necessity and all I wanted was to get it out of the way. I stopped only at rest areas to use the bathrooms and walk the dog and get gas. Since Hugh died I always feel like I stand out, sort of like the word "widow" is flashing neon green over my head. I know thats ridiculous but I find it uncomfortable. So, I was elated, sad, weepy, content and more all in one 16 hour road trip. The dog was good company and she rode like a dream. Traveling with a dog alone does pose a minor problem - it was extremely hot and I didn't have a choice but to leave her in the car while I used the restrooms. I was a nervous wreck about leaving her in the car for even 5 minutes in that heat, but I didn't have a choice. I left her seatbelted (yes, there are even seatbelts for dogs) with the windows open and the sun roof open and made sure I parked in the shade. If the lines were too long I waited until the next rest area. And of course I had a pity party or two about not having Hugh around to share the dog watching. It seems like I can find a million things every single day to remind me how being without Hugh just plain sucks. But, I got to see Jeremy and Sarah and had a very enjoyable week visiting. Sarah ended up coming home with me because she got news that her Grandmother was failing. Another loss to cancer - God, how I HATE this disease and our inability to find a cure!!!!!! She got home in time to see her and was grateful to be able to attend the funeral. She is 8 months pregnant, Jeremy couldn't get leave so it hasn't been an easy week for her. I will be glad to see her safely back in South Carolina so she and Jeremy can be together to wait for Casey's arrival together. I have been concerned that the baby might decide to arrive early with all of the stress she is under.

I haven't been able to catch up with everyone's posts while I was gone, I hope all is as well as can be for everyone!

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Good for you Candy. I don't know if I could force myself to drive that far alone - even with my dog. I applaud you.

Cat

Candy,

Glad you had a good visit with your son and daughter in law and sorry the trip was so hard on you. BUT you did it!!! That took courage and determination. I am glad you are back safely and now we will wait to hear about the new granbaby to arrive.

God Bless You,

Jane

Candy, so glad to hear you made the trip safely. So sorry to hear about another cancer victim in your family. Like you, I have found it absolutely amazing what we can do when we have to. Driving often seems to soothe my soul but it seems when I'm driving almost every song on the radio makes me think of Dennis. You are so very brave for making this journey! I am so very proud of you. I agree that these furry little four-legged friends of ours can be mighty comforting so much of the time. Please keep in touch!!! So glad you had a wonderful trip!!!

Candy,

I think I posted to you to stop by and see me if you took I-75 but I think you had already left. I bet you passed me right up. I am only a mile from I-75 from leaving Ohio and entering into Ky and going up the big hill. From the top of that hill I am 1 mile down the road. You and your dog would have been welcomed.

Glad you had a good time but I know the feeling you are talking about. I go out to eat by myself at times and I feel everyone is thinking WIDOW WIDOW WIDOW. Oh well, I am a widow. I just need to get used to that..

Next time e-mail me if you come this way...

Welcome home Candy. I applaud your courage. I can't get the nerve to drive from here to my family in the Bay area and it is only less than a five hour drive.

Sounds like you made out pretty good over all. I know that it had to be hard on you but you did it and that is what counts. Let us know when the baby arives. Thinking of you and praying for peace for all of us. Lillian