Sep 1 2004 GETTING SMALLER (not cancer related)

stand4hope

Today is September 1, 2004 – the big “getting started” day? Did anyone go ahead and start before today and have GETTING SMALLER losses to report? I’m proud to report that I am 10.5 lbs. smaller than I was on July 25, 2004. Woopee! Yippee! Patting myself on the back!

Now it’s your turn. Are you SMALLER or GETTING SMALLER? If not today, you will be GETTING SMALLER over the next month, and you WILL BE SMALLER on October 1. Right?

Drum roll ……………………… Ready! Set! Go!

Love,

Peggy

P.S. Here are a couple of food tips:

-------Try I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray. 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 everything.

-------Try Healthy Life High Fiber bread. Only 35 calories per slice, 0 fat, and 5 whopping GETTING SMALLER grams of fiber.

--------Try Snackwells’ Devils Food Cake fat free cookies. These really aren’t very good for you, but if you have to have something ooey gooey sweet, 1 or 2 of these will do the trick (50 calories each)

Congratulations Peggy!!

And a well deserved pat on the back that would be. I can hear the drum roll loud and clear. I hope you're combining a whole lot of fruits and veggies and exercise with those other goodies you mentioned. Good luck with the rest of your "getting smaller" program, (if indeed it's still necessary to continue :wink: ). Take care.

David P.

Good progress for you Peggy.

I am exactly the same as I was last post. 0 additional pounds lost. 13 pounds to go. But I am commited to do this - to get smaller.

Food tip - rice cakes? I like Quaker lightly salted with a smidgeon of p-nut butter spread on it. Okay, the peanut butter is not the best but it is a whole lot better than I used to do. It's a filler snack.

Healthy Choice makes a frozen premium Fudge Bar (fudgecycle) 80 calories and tastes great.

I guess we should be writing about tasty salads, eh? Hee, hee.

I am happy to say that I am definitly smaller, not by much. I peaked out at 306 over a month ago. Much of that was water I guess. I was experiencing pretty bad edema, I had no ankles thats for sure. Even though I knew it was that I still beat up on my self. I started this cancer journey at 250 pounds which was too much, but I kept gaining. That was not my view of cancer let me tell you! Any way, I have finally stopped the upward spiral and and I am slowly going back down. I was 286 at the Dr's yesterday. And I have ankles again. I am committed to going down at least 5 more pounds this month.

Also I need to start moving, I am so fatigued still all these months later. But I can tell my muscles are suffering from all the laying around.

Well yesterday I would have been able to report that I lost 2 more pounds, but today when I got on the scale it was back. This 2lbs keeps coming and going..I think John is messing with the scale :wink: . I am trying to be good about walking every day and I am also trying hard to follow the "no sugar, no flour" diet but being a vegetarian it is hard to give up the flour. I have adapted it to "no sugar and a little bit of flour".

Good luck to everyone and congratulations on the weight loss!

Rochelle

I don't want to discuss this!! :lol::lol: I am not smaller, YET. I have been sooooooo stressed with Dad that nothing cures the stress except for a big bowl of rainbow sherbert! :roll: Today is a new day though. After releasing some frustration at the dr.'s office yesterday, I think I can do without the rainbow sherbert today. :wink: I'm going to try hard. Today is "grocery day" for me. I will try to make healthly, low fat choices and avoid the ice cream section! :wink:

Congrats to all of you who have lost some pounds!! YEAHHHHHH!!

Angie

Started on Monday and already down three pounds. Yes, I know, it's all water -- but better off, then in, me.

But I have a long, long way to go. Beginning a regime is easy. It's staying on it that's the tricky part. Have been doing South Beach and so far it's great -- healthy, easy and good recipes. All I do is add the bread, pasta/rice/potatoes plus desserts for Len to whatever I can eat and he's happy. I've been satisfying my sweet tooth with South Beach's ricotta creme desserts -- which actually seem to work.

I think the 5 pounds a month goal sounds very reasonable. And ankles are a great thing!

Ellen

Ok, I am camping, but have been walking each day, on the beach, out a boardwalk to lighthouse, ect. Before I left on Aug. 27th I had lost 2 pounds in a week, but since then I don't know. Diet has been hit and miss because of our vacation, which has been PARADISE. I came to the Library in a nearby town to check in on everyone and decided I better check in with the Getting Smaller Club too!

Love you all,

Nell

Okay, I will finally admit I wanted to lose 35 lbs. and can now tell you I have lost 15 of them.

Just trying to eat less and sometimes smarter. Salads for dinner last night and tonight. Cutting out snacks - oh do I miss Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter ice cream. Oops, just gained 2 lbs talking about it.

Good luck. We will have to submit skinny pictures at some point.

Pictures?!?! :shock:

That's almost as bad as shopping for jeans or a bathing suit!!!

Eeekkk!

I don't know if I've lost pounds, but my clothes are a little looser on me (but then, I did eat two servings or organic chocolate pudding the other night...). I've been stuck in bed with this back and I couldn't (well--didn't) resist the craving!!!

One thing I've found that I like are Amy's organic brown rice bowls (with ginger, broccoli, and carrots). I stock up when they are on sale at the health food store. $2.99/ea. isn't so bad...

But, pictures?!?!? I'm not sure I'm ready for that leap... :?

Melinda

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a mid-month pep talk. How is everyone doing? You don't need to report weight losses - we can do that again on Oct. 1. Just thought I'd check in and encourage everyone to keep at it. I've done ok and still losing in spite of several splurges.

When I started this on July 25, I decided I wasn't going to make this hard. I decided right up front that if I only lost 1 lb. a month (1/4 lb. a week) that I would be happy. I made up my mind to "eat healthy" and choose low fat and count calories, but I wasn't going to torture myself with saying I would never eat ______ (fill in the blank) again. The reason is because I knew I wouldn't stick to it.

This month I have enjoyed homemade spaghetti and meat sauce, chicken tacos and even a couple of Klondike bars and one ooey gooey pastry, and I have still lost another 3 lbs. All the rest of the time, I am eating a lot of vegetables, fat-free turkey & chicken, a little bit of fruit each day (yuck!), bran cereals w/2% milk. I love beans, so for snacks I will sometimes have 1/2 cup of navy beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans, baked beans, etc. They are high in protein and fiber and you don't need a lot to satisfy hunger. And my life-saver is the Nabisco Honey Maid Low Fat Graham Crackers. One or two sheets of those and my sweet tooth is satisfied.

Anyway, I wanted to post this to encourage everyone to keep on keeping on, and if you still haven't started or feel you have failed miserably, don't give up, just start up again and today is as good a day as any to get started GETTING SMALLER. You can do it.

Ginny - pictures are a good idea, but I'm not going to put up a "recent" picture until I get at least closer to how I looked in this picture. I know I can't look that young again, but I sure can look that thin if I stick to this.

BEST OF LUCK! GET SMALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Peggy

Thanks, Peggy, for the pep talk. I have been PRETTY good -- but the past few days have indeed been a challenge. When a Jewish holiday rolls around, the refrain is "Ess, ess", or "Eat, eat", and everyone does. Four course meals, challah bread, and sweets for a sweet New Year....oh, well. I'm actually looking forward to Yom Kippur when I can fast (although you always stock up ahead of time, and make up for it afterwards, so that undoes all the good you've done).

But I'm trying....

Ellen