how much is too much?

schmaydee

i just signed up here. so good to see folks helping each other as best they can......

i'm 49yrs old & was dx limited stage sclc 6/04... i'm doing pretty well all things considered... i am on the 1st day of my 3rd chemo treatment and about my 12th radiation treatment (about 20 to go)...

the doc seems to be pretty sure he can get rid of the tumor (3"X2")...and into remission at some point....(we'll have to see about that).

but after that...they want to do cranial rad.... then no tellin' what else..

i was very near death by the time my family got me to go into the hospital...(pnuemnonia, colapsed lung...etc).. i'm not sure if it might not have been better to have just gone on out...

i do feel greatly improved since then....but havent really had a day i felt like living since.....

i guess mainly i'm thinking back to my dad i lost to esophageal cancer 5 yrs ago..... actually i lost him to the "cancer treatment"..... and the treatment ruined the quality of life he had left.....i would imagine they would have kept trying (something) after he died if we hadnt got him in the ground as quick as we did....(he had great insurance).

has anyone EVER gotten to a point where they felt as healthy as before they got sick w/this stuff? ........thanks ....s

Schmaydee,

First off let me welcome you to our board and express my sorrow that you had the need to find us. It sounds like the beast has given you a rough go so far. Is there hope? yes my dear there is. But you have to find it. I have just added the following to my signature. Every dawn is a victory. I have a lot of days where I feel terrible, but I have a lot of days where I feel ok and once in a while a lately I wake up feeling good. Those days are rare, but they happen and thanks to all those toxic treatments they are happening more often. But sweetie you have a long way to go. Hang in there and endure it. Find joy where you can no matter how small and it lightens the load. I hope the treatment getseasier for you soon.

Blessings

Betty

Dear Schmaydee,

I have the same diagnosis as you - limited sclc, and went thru treatments in April, June 2002. Today there is no evidence of disease, I had a CAT scan of chest, stomach and pelvis last week - all clear. Yes, I do have many good days - you can too. We are the same age, my having had this at age 48-49 when diagnosed. Limited is very treatable. Please read my posts from last week. You CAN DO IT. YOU WILL FEEL BETTER IN TIME. :)

Joanie

Dear Schmaydee,

As luck would have it, we were diagnosed with limited SCLC on the exact same day, June 4, 2004, I live in Nashville too (assuming you mean TN!), and was hospitalized with pneumonia, although I didn't have a collapsed lung - not yet anyway.

You and I are probably very close in timing on chemo/radiation. It didn't knock me down totally, and I didn't experience drastic side effects like so many do, so my opinion is that treatment was most definitely worthwhile, and I'm glad I chose that option.

If you'd like to talk more, just send me a private message and we can share phone numbers and maybe get together and I'll gladly share with you my experience and we can hold each other's hands if need be. With all the other similarities, we may be going to the same group of docs and to the same treatment centers!

Yes, there is a lot of hope, I think, and I bet you can find some of it once you get past some of the associated dread that comes along with such a diagnosis.

Di

Schmaydee,

Welcome to the board. Continue to visit As this board & all on it ROCK!!

I was also Dx'd with limited SCLC 3/03. Went through chemo & twice a day Radiation. My last check up was in June 04 & have one coming up this month. So far NED. I wouldn't have skipped any treatment available. Also did Whole Brain Rad due to mets in my brain. Also NED there. So yes there is hope. Please don't give up & come here often. There are noe stupid questions. Prayers & positive energy coming your way.

Rachel

Hello Shmaydee,

I know just how you feel. It's so discouraging to feel so rotten & tired day after day. Plus, if your on radiation, you may still have symptoms pop up even months after treatment stops. Thats the bad news. The good news is that there is much hope for your type of limited cancer. I have extensive sclc & am currently in remission. The last month I have felt so well that I can hardly believe how sick I was. When you can string a few good days together your attidude will improve & you'll start enjoying life again. Also, please be on guard for depression creeping into the mix. Treatment is available & can help you feel better.

Hang in there & keep us posted. We're there & we care!

Claire

.....thanks for the replies..... i'm just trying to get a handle on this... find out what to REALLY expect......

there's a lot of folks on here that have it a hell of a lot worse than i do...

yeah Di... nashvegas tn. ...i'm doin' the sarah cannon thing @ southern hills but get my rad done at summitt....looks like we have very similar cancer and treatment...

thanks to everyone..... ....s

In my case, I felt perfectly fine before diagnosis. It was the diagnosis, surgery, recovery, chemo, and recovery from chemo that made me feel bad for the better part of last year.

But, would I do it all over again to feel as good as I do today? Absolutely!

I didn't have radiation with the lung thing, but I did with breast cancer, and I know that really took over my body with fatigue during the treatments, but I remember feeling a lot better within about a month of finishing treatments.

With chemo, I felt markedly better two weeks after my last treatment. It just got better from there with energy levels increasing all the time.

I think the important thing to do right now is take good care of yourself. If you want to sleep, sleep. I think those treatments work so much better if you don't stretch your limits. I also believe that a weakened immune system is vulnerable to disease, not just cancer, other things as well.

Keep your chin up, this does get better--

Cindy

Initial Diagnosis: earth-shattering

Chemo Tx: tiring

Hair loss: depressing

Fatigue: all-encompassing

The chance to beat this monster and enjoy each sunrise: PRICELESS

Please, this disease process affects every aspect of our being........but it does get better.......best thoughts to you,

Mary

Yes, you can feel as good as before.......I do. I'm almost 3yrs since dx and my case is the same as yours except for the collapsed lung. I felt less than perfect for about 18 months and then I started to get my old energy back. I was reminded very early on, by a cousin who's a nurse, that even without the chemo and radiation I was getting over a very serious illness (pneumonia) and would probably feel awful anyway. That really put things into perspective for me and I realised that when I'd a SLIGHT case of pneumonia before it had knocked me on my heels.

The upshot of all this is....yes.......it does end, even if that seems impossible right now. Just be patient (easy for me to say) good days will be more frequent before long. Most of the time now I forget that I've even had cancer....that'll be your best feeling of all.

Stay strong

Geri

Mayfrog-I loved your response!

I was diagnosed 2/01 with extensive sclc.. I had 9 mos chemo, remission 1 yr, relapse 2/03 6 mos chemo and 6 weeks of radiation-oh yeah, I fell and broke my leg during that 1st week of rad. I am this month 1 year in remission again.

I just got a new job. I will be an instructor at the local JR college, Lincoln Trail College here in Robinson teaching CNA's.

THERE IS LIFE AFTER CANCER DIAGNOSIS!!!!!!!!

You are at the beginning of all of this and it is overwhelming. You will feel better after treatments are done!! I am now 47.

Cindy