Kickin' butt (can I post that?) and takin' names

Suzie Q

Hi all,

I don't post here often, but I wanted to share the good news! Mom's clinical trial of Gemzar, Carboplatin, and Velcade have worked very well for her.

After 6 rounds of the complete "cocktail", she has at least 90% reduction in mets lesions. Not quite remission, but close!

She'll be on Velcade only for up to one year for "maintenence". Good thing, because the last 2 rounds really knocked her legs out from under her. Onc says few patients complete the full 6 rounds, usually due to low platelets or other blood levels.

Can't express what a relief it was to hear the news! Just a little over 4 months ago, I wondered if she wound make it until her birthday. Faith can do wonders.

We are realistic that the cancer monster will be back. We jsut want it to stay away for a while longer!

Thanks for all your prayers. I think of you all and pray for you regularly.

~Karen

WOW! That's the most incredible story I've heard. She was diagnosed in March or April of this year, right? Stage IV right? Is the primary reduced 90% also? What is Velcade? I'm not familiar with that. My husband has had gemzar and carboplatin, but he sure didn't get results like that. I'd be very interested in knowing more about this, Karen. Are the doctors surprised at such a good response? This is wonderful, and I bet there are others would like to know more, too. I bet you are bouncing off the walls with excitement.

God bless you and your mom!!

Peggy

Wow, that is wonderful news . I'm really happy for you. When you get the chance, I hope you can come back and further tell us about these medications your mom is taking. That is such an incredible story of stage IV nsclc and 90% reduction.. Please dont' keep this information to yourself. We want to "kick butt " too :wink: .. lol God Bless you

sue

Here's my info about Velcade...

It's approved for use in multiple myeloma, some ongoing clinical trials with other forms of cancer.

In my mom's study, by the Southwest Oncology Group, Velcade is a protease inhibitor used in combination with Gemzar and Carboplatin. Patients are at least stage IIIB or IV, not previously treated with chemo.

Mom's onc isn't sure if the Velcade did the work, or helped the other two chemo agents do their work better, but either way, something did its job.

If I can find the clinical trial number, I'll pass it along. We're in the midwest, but the cancer center is working in conjunction with Southwest Oncology on this trial.

I think there may be another clinical trial with velcade and d-something-taxol, so there are other combinations they're working with.

Mom's bummed that she's so tired, even though much of the cancer is gone or shrinking, but her nurse reminded her what an ordeal her body has been through, and that it would take time to get it back up to snuff.

I don't want to leave any of you with the impression that this is the "magic pill" or potion, or what have you. I'm sure you're all aware how individualized each treatment plan is, and the response varies so much form patient to patient. Mom had one mediastinal node with mets, the rest was in the lungs (bilateral, multiple mets), and initially she also had malignant pleural effusion. Still has some collapse of lung at primary site, making evaluation of it difficult. It's only been seen during the bronch, because even with the CTs the area is so dense you can't "see through" to the primary. But that lung lobe has partially reinflated. It had been completely collapsed.

So maybe the fact that she does not have mets in bone or brain is a factor, maybe not. But for now, I raise my glass to the maintenance program!

Thanks for your kind remarks. ellen, consider my mom kissed!

~Karen

Karen,

Kicking lung cancer butt is A-ok around here anytime! Those were wonderful results and as a family dealing with Stage IV, it sure brightened my day. Steve's return to the chemo challenge was with Gemzar and Cisplatin and you're right, he only made it thru four. Not even a lengthy blood transfusion could salvage his blood counts enough to continue. So your mom certainly has a bit of a miracle going. Tell her to keep that good new coming :D