Taxotere and Carboplatin as a first line treatment

Hi,

Has anyone here received Taxotere and Carboplatin as a first line treatment for advanced NSCLC? If so, I would love to hear any stories. I have read on the net that the response rate is about 20% and I am trying to find out as much info as possible. My husband started his treatment on Friday. The doctor said that it should start working in 10-14 days and we are keeping our fingers crossed. :)

Christina

Hi, Christina! Welcome. Yes, my wife had two treatments of carboplatin and taxotere in November of last year, along with radiation, before she got dehydrated, then infected. She has NSCLC, Stage IV (bone mets). We could not start up again until February, but she now has completed 5 rounds of the same combination. The evidence says that the small tumor in her lung is completely gone and the bone mets seem to be gone. It is harder to tell with bone mets. At least, they have not increased. She does have a new bone met on her sacrum, and that is being treated with radiaiton. Anyway, she is now off the chemo, and it looks successful. She is going on Zometa this week, which seems to help prevent new bone mets. Eventually, she may go on Iressa as a maintenance. She is now an 8-month survivior with no threat evident. We have much hope. I wish you all well. Don

Hello,

My mother is a stage IV NSCLC and she's receiving Carboplatin/Taxol and Gemcitabin. No side effects yet.

She's combining chemo with Chinese cancer herbs. We read about Chinese medicine and the response rate is 80%!

Regards,

Anaïs

Find a good chinese doctor in your area (who studied chinese medicine in Asia).

My mom's Chinese Dr prescribed her raw herbal formula (he mixes herbs and she cooks them). The advantage is more potent and easy to modify...

Look at this website : http://www.geocities.com/sing_kio/mystory.html

It's the story of someone who was dx stage IV LC and managed to cure himself with Chinese herbs...

Regards,

Anaïs

My husband had carbo/taxotere for 5 weeks prior to his surgery. He had few side effects from it, but was on a lower dose because he only has one kidney. He didn't have much nausea, but was taking medication to prevent it. He was tired a few days after each treatment, but not too bad. He also had radiation at the same time and his tumor did shrink. Not sure which one worked, or if it was all three. It was enough for him to have his surgery. Hope this helps.

Annie

Guest DaveG

I am on Carboplatin/Pachtaxel and a clinical trial. I have been through 2 cycles (once every three weeks). I was do for a cycle last Tuesday, but it was postponed because of having a low white cell count. Hopefully this week, I'll be ready and the white cell count will be higher.

So far the chemo has shown up to 50% resolution of the tumors. Side effects I have had consist of tiredness and being high from the steroids. I suspect I have had more side effects from the steroids then from the chemo itself.

I did have to have a transfusion of 2 units of whole blood because of low hemoglobin and hematocrit.

Yes, I was treated with both every 3 weeks for 6 treatments and my markers and size of tumors did a nose dive. Unfortunately, I had bone mets which were quite advance and probably started around the time I stated Chemo. As you know, Chemo will do nothing to stop bone mets, only radiation. I improved enough to be off Chemo for about 6 months before they started me on Taxotere.

Side effects started on day 2 after Chemo (and after my high from steriods went away) and I felt kind of yukky for about 4-5 days, drink tons of water to wash it through my system. No nausea, just "fluish" kind of feeling, plus G.I. upsets and a yen for carbohydrates.

Hang in there. As we all know, everyone is different. Good luck and God Bless.

Hi everyone,

I am logging in from the hospital. I have been here with Chris since Monday afternoon. He went in for his pleuradesis and it looks like it has not been successful (we don't know for sure yet). We are seeing a different oncologist today (second opinion) at the hospital to see if the chemo has worked. It is now the 13th day from his first treatment. All of the posts have been very encouraging.

Christina