My Mom...

Treebywater

My mom found out this week that she has lung cancer. We know that she has a couple spots on her lung, it seems to have reached the lymph nodes, and there is a spot on her liver. She hasn't seen the oncologist yet... but I've read about the stages, and I'm pretty scared.

Mom isn't 60 yet. I'm 23, and I'm expecting my first child. That, needless to say, wreaks even more havoc with my emotions on several levels. I'm also about 2,000 miles away from her and trying to anticipate how that will work into things and find ways to support her even though I can't physically be with her.

Mom sees the oncologist on Tuesday, and we'll know more then, but I wanted to find a place to get some information and support NOW. I've read through some of the threads here and I'm feeling better about things than I have since we first found out. So thank you all already for being so encouraging.

So... that's why I showed up here! I look forward to getting to know you all. You have already been an encouragement to me.

Welcome, and I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis. I was also pregnant when my Mum was diagnosed, so I have a pretty good idea of where your head is at right now!! I, at least, have the luxury of only being a couple of hundred miles away from Mum and Dad, so distance has not really been a problem for us - I can't imagine how much harder it is when you are so far away.

You have obviously done some research and come across the dreaded statistics - just wanted to let you know that my Mum was diagnosed at stage IV in July 2003, and she is still fighting 16 months later. Not only that, but she continues to be in pretty good health, and has not had to alter her activities in any way. You will find many other examples of people living well with this disease as you read through the various forums. There is alot that can be done to treat your Mom's cancer, so make sure that you all keep your spirits up.

Let us know the outcome of Tuesday's visit. I look forward to getting to know you!

Karen

Hi there. Karen is right. There is much that can be done to help your Mom. I know our own children went through what you are at this point when I had to tell them their Dad had lung cancer. Many of us on this board are going through the same thing , so you are not alone.

Thinking of you and your Mom on Tues.

Cyndy

Hi and welcome. Just because mom has LC doesnt mean she is going to die, the body is a amazing thing, treatment for lung cancer has come a long way. I too was scared to death when I started reading up on lung cancer, now that I've coming here and reading everyones posts I see that people are surviving the disease some of us for many many years. Being a mom myself and just having lung surgery 2 months ago, I can tell you what I told my son on 23 just married and my daughter 15. Allow me to talk about it when I feel the need, Allow me to cry when I want. Give me your shoulder and listen to my fears and I too will allow you to talk about it when you need and provide a shoulder for you to cry on too. And they did, but what helped me the most was my kids saying Your gonna be ok mom. Every thing is going to be ok. And if and when you pray, ask the Lord to comfort your mind and your moms. Good luck

Its gonna be ok......

age 43 NSCLC adenocarcinoma

upper rt lobe removed 9-27-04

Dear Val,

I am so sorry you have the need to be a part of this group. However, that said, this is the best group of people you will find...

No matter how long and hard you search the net for answers, information and support, you won't find another support system that can equal the love, understanding, prayers and all around inspirational spirit that you will experience from ALL of the individuals here.

This is an incredible group....and if you continue to come here you will see for yourself.... when you drop off the board for a while, they come looking for you! how's that for an extended family??!!??

Welcome and best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

WITH EVERY DIFFICULT ~ THERE IS RELIEF..............Lisa :)

I just want to welcome you to this group and let you know that you have found a very caring bunch of people. As you learn more facts about your mom's cancer, you will have more questions. People here will do their best to help you. Just know that every case is different. The best thing you can do right now is wait until you get more facts about her individual case. I know you have more questions than answers at this point, but it will all start to fall into place. Take it one day at a time and know that there are lots of promising treatments available to cancer victims these days. Let us know when you learn more and know that you can count on the kind folks here to be there with plenty of support and hugs.

God Bless

sue

Hey -- I'm not 60 yet either! :P

First off, congrats to you on the pending new little one. What a joy that will be!

Not glad you have to be here or that your mom has to go through this, but you're in the right place. There are lots of caring folks here who have helped me through the doldrums plenty of times.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Di

Hey Val.

Don't you consider, even if only for the briefest of moments, that your mother won't get to know her grandchild. Life with cancer, and life after cancer can be longer than any of us could imagine. New treatments, the location and stage of the cancer, and the attitude and willpower of the inflicted all have a bearing on the outcome. There are many examples on this message board of people beating this disease, living long and productive lives. Having a catchy, upbeat, positive mantra also helps... let me see, I heard one just recently... something about... All shall be well, and all manner of things should be well, no matter what. :wink: Take care Val, and keep us posted.

David P.

Welcome to the club no one wants to be in :)

I am so sorry about your mom. I bet she is looking forward to seeing her grandchild though and that is the best support you can give your mom!

Please keep us posted and take care of your little baby inside!