Small Cell Lung Cancer support

Guest catlover3

Guest catlover3

I have just completed treatment for small cell lung cancer but still have to have an andditional 3 weeks of radiation on my head just in case there are cells there undetectable with a CT scan. Has anyone survived this type of cancer? I've been to several web sites looking for survivors but couldn't find any. I know the odds are not great but if would be very encouraging to hear from someone who has survived for 2 years after initical diagnosis.

Catlover3,

Welcome to our board, I am sorry for the reason you are here. Lots of hope here! We have several who have gone beyond 2 years, I hope the chemo wasn't too rough on you.

We have a whole section devoted to small cell, read through there and you will find much to feel hopeful about.

Its a holiday weekend, so don't be discouraged if there arn't a lot of replies.

Good luck with the PCI and welcome once again!

Blessings

Betty

Catlover3,

Hi, and welcome! Like Betty said, things may be a little slow over the holiday weekend, but there are people who will chime in, and you WILL hear about survivors.

My brother, DavidC, was diagnosed with SCLC in March 2003. He finished treatment and was free of disease for about a year, and is now fighting a metastasis to the bones in his sinus cavity. We're looking for him to be cancer-free again soon.

You can do this. You'll hear of several here who have beat those nasty odds. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, and will come back to give and get support. This is a great group of people who will really be there for you.

BeckyCW (also a cat lover)

Hi There,

Welcome to the most caring and supportive group of people ever! Sorry you have to be here.

I just (two weeks ago) finished 4 weeks of brain radiation. I was diagnosed with sclc in April, surgery in June, 4 months of chemo and then the radiation. I am a 4 1/2 year survivor of nsclc and I definitely plan on surviving this one also. My radiation oncologist told us that without the brain radiation the percentages of having it go to the brain are 30-50% and with the radiation, 4-8%. I didn't have to think twice. She was going to do 15 treatments, then upped it to 17 as she had a failure at 15 and when she saw that I was tolerating it well, we went to 20 just to be safe. I had a few side effects the first week so she started me on Decadron. I did have residual burns to my forehead and ears but that is all healing now. Please PM me if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Nancy B

Hi Catlover and WELCOME!

My husband is a member of the NSCLC group, but I wanted to send you a great big welcome to our group. You will get lots of support here, love and laughter. There are many SCLC survivors who have been down the same rough road you are traveling, but they are here to tell about it and most are doing really well.

Best of luck to you, and

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Catlover,

I'm glad you found our site as you'll soon see there are many great people here who will give you support and hope. I was diagnosed with limited SCLC in April 2002; completed treatment (chemo and radiation) in June of 2002. Guess what - I'm still walkin' and talkin', going to work every day, cleaning my house, cookin', walkin' my dog, etc, etc. The treatments worked for me - they can certainly work for you. I was 49 when diagnosed, which the dr.said worked in my favor and i didn't have any other pressing medical issues. However, there are many people who do survive this, even with other complications. Please continue to post, read the history area of SCLC. There is hope. Keep fighting.

Joanie

Catlover, hello,I am a survivor of nsclc.But I wanted to welcome you to this site.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.Most of us have included under our posts a signature that will tell you what type of lung cancer and what stage & when diagnosed.You will be amazed at how many have made a joke of the statistics.This is a very doable and winnable fight.

Hello Catlover,

As you have gathered from all the replys to your question, there are many of us out here that have survived.

Had 4th stg lung cancer, I have been cancer free on the 29th of this month for 13 months. I give all the praise and glory to Jesus as He is the ultimate healer. Trust in Him.

In Jesus

Pip

Hi, and welcome. In our local lung cancer support group, here in Minnesota, we have at least 2 who have SCLC , had brain radiation also, and are 4 and 5 yrs out with no evidence of disease We all love NED around here, hope you become good friends with him. Keep us posted. Donna G

Welcome Catlover3,

My husband has nsclc, but there are many here with sclc. I have read several stats since I have been here of survivors over 2 years. Read the profiles of people here and you will see for yourself. Remember something else that is so very important... You are you. There are no 2 cases alike. Create your own success story . We will be here to support and pray for you.

God Bless,

sue