PCI - One day at a time. (Day 0!)

SDianneB

Day 0, since I've not started the actual treatments.

I meet with the Radiation Oncologist who reviews my last PET scan results with me again. Really, really good results, and he's very impressed. He talks to me a while, again, about the PCI and why we do it, and says that from a 50% chance of recurrence in the brain, their results show a decrease to less than 10% after the PCI. Wow.

He tells me that major hair loss may not occur, as it generally takes about 3 weeks for that to happen, and I'll be having 12, low dose treatments. He says I will probably have major thinning, but may not lose all my hair after all. Everyone is different.

He isn't giving me steroids unless I need them. He says that relatively few of their patients need them, and if I have a problem with headaches, just let them know and he'll give me a prescription. He says just to take Ibuprofin or Tylenol if I have a headache, and if that doesn't do the trick, just let them know. (He's like me -- I'm all for the benefits of medication, but I don't want them unless I need them.)

So, I go in for the mask. Yikes! Looks kinda like a fencing mask except for the waffle weave holes. The tech -- Kathy -- is the same one who did my chest radiation setup, and is terrific. She talked to me through it all, telling me what she's doing, how much longer, etc. It felt like she put a hot, wet pancake on my face at first! Then it began to harden and felt just really strange. It got a teency bit claustrophic for a minute, then she started talking to me again and it went away. All in all, it wasn't bad, and didn't last long -- 30 minutes max.

I go in the morning at 8:30 for the first treatment. My guess is that I won't feel a thing, and probably won't for at least a few days. With the chest radiation, it was nice to have the weekends as a little break. Will see how this goes.

This is a great place and a bunch of nice people where I'm going. Believe it or not, I actually missed going there every day when my chest radiation stopped!

Di

Di

You are somethin' else, girl.

I am glad that you are here and sharing with us what is going on with you.

As far as your other post...yes. too many people with cancer. But, now we have a fighting chance. We have radiation oncologists and techs to take good care of us and to help us through this stuff that our grandparents didn't.

I hope that this goes as smoothly as possibe for you. I will, for sure, be looking for your updates.

Love, Cindi o'h

Dianne:

Not experienced with contributing to this site. I have been reading it for

months. Now i needed it for input relative to receiving PCI. I spent many

sleepless nights trying to decide.

I had the mask done today. it was not bad but rather difficult for me

to keep the position. I get the first treatment tomorrow.

Your post helped me feel better and i hope that i sleep tonite. What

you said in your post is very similar to what i was told. I live alone

and have a caregiver in the day time and i have hired one to spend

the nights until this is over. although my radiologist said he didn't

think that i would need one.

Well, tomorrow I will see how it really is for me. I trust that things go

well with you and i am so grateful for what you wrote.

dx'd small cell limited

Alice :?

Di and Alice,

I wish both of you the best of luck with your PCI treatments. I hope that you each get a 90% cure rate and that you never see the other 10%. Both of you keep us in touch. I have been thinking about doing it later. To be honest, no one has told me I needed it but I want to do all I can do to prevent brain mets. Thanks for your information.

Nina

Di and Alice,

I just wanted to let you know this morning will be my 7th treatment out of 20. So far no side affects. The 1st couple of days I had a small headache. I do not care for the mask so I just lay there with my eyes closed thinking happy thoughts and before I know it the treatment is over!!!

Best of luck to both of you

Patrice

Ok then. Those of us who are going through this at the same time, let's just have a bigger diary! Please, please share what you can when you can. Someone else will be along and it may help, plus they can add to it with their experiences. It sure has helped me many times to know as much as I can from those who have "been there, done that."

Looking forward to sharing this diary with others!

Di