disturbing symptoms...?

richinsdakota

My bio below tells my story with lung cancer....and I hoped it would end there, with no more chapters, but.....

Disturbing symptoms have appeared, first, a soreness in the right rib cage, pain when I cough, ....like when I had plueresy when I was a kid. I hoped it was just bedsore, (only side I can sleep on), so back to sleeping in the chair, to see if it clears up. But then, theres the traces of blood in the sputum again, the symptom that led to losing my left lung...if its indicating more cancer....its my only lung left.

All this occurring last couple days, just before Christmas, so cant get it checked out until Mon. or so. In the meantime....are there benign causes for blood in the phlem thats spit up? Hoping it doesnt necessarily indicate cancer....dunno.

If anyone has knowledge of this sort of thing....would sure like to hear of your experiences. Thanx....Rich B.

Rich,

Could you have broken a rib?

Six months out from surgery, could be healing pains you're feeling...

Spitting blood is not good. I know what time of year it is, but I would hope that if there is enough blood in your phlegm and it is darkening in color, you would get to an emergency room. Bright red blood could be irritation from coughing....from all I've ever heard, dark blood is a very bad thing no matter what orifice it is coming from...

Keep an eye on that blood and don't be afraid to have an emergency room doctor check it out if it gets on the edge of frightening. If you have broken a rib and maybe tortured that lung, I would think an x-ray would show that - and with your history, you'd probably be taken a bit more seriously than a Christmas bulb up the nose injury.

Wishing you luck!

Becky

Hi, Rich, I am not sure but the pain in the side could also be a pleural effusion, that would be a collection of fluid in the pleura, same area as your pleursy - if so, they could tell with an xray. I agree with Snowflake, you have already had lung surgery, you should get checked out just to be sure, if you can't get to a doctor, maybe the ER. I know it is not how you want to spend your day but better safe than sorry. Just a thought - maybe call the oncologist and get their answering service, they probably do have someone on call who can offer some advice. (They will say ER)

Hope this is some small easy to take care of something. Sorry you have to deal with this during the holidays. Hope this passes quickly and you get some fun this weekend.

Margaret

Hi Rich,

I also agree with Margaret. Sounds like the same symptoms I had with the pleural effusion. Does it hurt when you breathe, or take a deep breath? Also shortness of breath is a symptom of a pleural effusion. You should definately get it checked out. Hopefully it's nothing.

TAnn

Sorry to take so long to update this: The symptoms, while a bit scary, were short lived after I went back to sleeping in my chair again. Musta just been making my rib cage sore layin on it all night in the bed for several nites. So much for the bed..sigh..maybe someday.

Still, things shouldnt be so easily irritated, maybe, so I will bring it up with doc. next appt., see if he wants to do an xray. Anyway, it seems to all go away when I stay out of the bed. Thanks for your concern, all...and I hope I didnt falsely alarm yall, it was a bit scary tho....Rich B.

Well. Rich,

That is the good news, and don't fret about the alarm...that is what we are here for, remember?

And it is all a part of the roller coaster ride. It's no fun going on that ride all by yourself!!

I hope that when I get to the scary parts, that I will have someone riding with me...arms straight up in the air! All of us.. we'll show them who's not the "scardeypants"....(yeah, right).

Enjoy that chair as much as you can.

Cindi o'h

Dear Rich,

I just wanted to share with you that after I had my left lung removed in July of 1995, it took me several months before I could sleep comfortable in my bed. Otherwise I slept in the recliner 99% of the time for about 8 months. This is a SLOW process when it comes to recovery. Take a deep breath and don't push yourself. Try things a little at a time. (easy for me to say)! :wink:

Best Wishes,

Connie B

Dear Rich,

I'm glad things are better. I have 11 months since surgery and the side still gets sore especially when i lay on it or push it against the arm of the recliner which is how i always sit. When I had gum trouble, my gums would bleed when I brushed my teeth. So when I rinsed there would be a little blood. If the furnace is dry or if a bad cold is breaking up sometimes you spit out a bit of blood. But a cold breaking upis temporary and it would just be a small amount from your throat. After surgery, I was on percocet for a while and it was causing a slight nose bleed on one side. When they remove a whole lung, it is probably twice as difficult when you recover. I had half of my right lung removed. Anyway I hope you will be fine and I think God that you and I had another Christmas. I hope you have many more! I am a lot better now after 11 months than I was after surgery with post operative discomfort. Little by little you will gradually get your strength back. Happy New Year!

Love,

Sharon

Rich, the most common cause of blood in the sputum is bronchitis. If it comes back, have it checked out. Also mention next time you have an office visit. May be nothing to worry about.

Dark blood, by the way, is "old" blood (clotted) and bright red is "new" blood.

Neither is always more serious; both should be investigated.

Hope you're feeling better. - Teresa

Hey Rich, I've had you in my prayers and am glad the bleeding has stopped. It is really scary... don't ever be sorry to share your fears with us.. we've all got our fair share of fears, too, and are here for eachother. Please mention it to your Dr.,tho. It's best to have it checked out and find out it's nothing to worry about, than to let it go and continue to worry.

Hugs and prayer to you and your family!!!

• 2 weeks later...