weakness....a sign that chemo is not working??

kimblanchard

Hi,

When my husband was in the hospital last week, the oncologist told him that when a patient is as weak as he is, that is usually a sign that the chemo is not working. We were told that a strong, healthy person is more likely to respond to chemo. Does this sound right? I thought that chemo kills cells that divide regardless of a person's overall health. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I have never ever heard of that. Chemo makes a person weak. It destroys both cancer and non-cancer cells. It's designed to be a killing machine. I think your husband is weak from the cancer and chemo both. It takes time, for the chemo to kill the cells and for your onc. to say this when your husband just started treatment to me is not right

I would seek another opinion.

I'm with Shellie, I read your post and was like "what the ????" is that doctor talking about? Of course chemo makes a person weak, HELLO!! It kills good and "bad"cells, and that is why a person has to keep up on white cell counts...a second opinion would be a good thing.

Keep us posted, take care, you are in my thoughts and prayers Deb

Christina,

I have never heard of such a thing. In fact I refuse to believe it. The first chemo my husband received he tolerated really well. He wasn't weak, and he only experience mild tiredness and nausea. After our last CT scan we were told the chemo wasn't working like expected and they changed the chemo.

Now, my husband is TIRED and WEAK, and SICK and I KNOW that this is from the chemo knocking out his healthy cells ALONG WITH those cancer cells.

Carleen

According to the four dr's who were on CNBC the other night discussing cancer, they all were in agreement that Chemo is so tough on a person because it is poison being introduced into your body. The purpose of this poison is to kill the cancer cells, and unfortunately, it also kills the good, healthy cells - hench, the bad side effects (tiredness, weakness, low cell counts, etc) It is the cancer doctors hope that in the future, they can give therapy to the cancer patient that targets JUST THE BAD CELLS, leaving the good cells alone. They made a very big point of this - research is pointed in that direction. These drs. were the heads of MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Rockefeller University and Johns Hopkins. Keep a positive outlook, even though the side effects are tough.

Joanie

While I am not a doctor, I think what they told you is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. My husband was strong and healthy to begin with and the chemo made him sick and weak. It shrunk his cancer immensely. I know that sometimes they say someone who is very weak may not be able to begin chemo until they are strong enough to handle it, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it works, only the persons ability to tolerate it. I would get another opinion.