New girl with questions

Nicky

Hi all

I've been visiting this site for a while and have decided it's finally time to come out into the open.

I'm here because my dad got diagnosed with NSCLC in October '04. We don't know what stage it's at but I do know that he has a tumour in the top right of his lung which is 2 or 3 inches (I guess between about 5 and 7 cm) and that it has also spread to the lymph nodes in the area. The doctors recommended 4 rounds of chemo and Dad just had the fourth round yesterday. Not long after his third round he had a scan (well before Christmas) but he just got the results yesterday when he went in for the last session of the chemo.

We're disheartened that the scan only showed slight shrinkage of the tumour. we're still hopeful that the 4th session of chemo will shrink it a lot more, but we don't really know what to expect next because my parents live in Northern Ireland where the National Health System is so under resourced that he never gets to see the same doctor twice and his appointments are always so rushed that he doesn't get given much information.

So i'm turning to you to see what other people's experiences have been. is it "normal" for there to only be a slight shrinkage after three quarters of the course of chemo, and could the fourth session still make a big difference? what will the options be if the tumour still hasn't shrunk much after the last session? my dad is 61, is quite fit and has handled the chemo well.

I hope you don't mind my questions but i'd love to be able to tell my dad a bit more, and hopefully to show him that there's still hope yet.

thanks, and see you around!

Nicky

Nicky,

I want to welcome you to our site, though I am sorry for the fact that you need us. I have SCLC, so I can't answer your question. May I suggest you post it in the ask the experts part of the forum as well ansd see what the Drs and nurses have to say. Anyhow, welcome and good luck in your familys battle with the beast.

Blessings

Betty

Hi and welcome. It takes a while to see results. I had a 3+ Cm tumor in the apex of my right lung. I had chemo and radiation together, it killed it off. Then I was able to have surgery. Wishing you well and keep us posted on your Dad. Donna G

Hi Nicky - Welcome to this site. It is where you want to be at this point. A littly shrinkage is in the good news category. It could have been no shrinkage or tumor growth. Hope and pray now for more shrinkage or at least stable. I too had a small shrinkage after 6 rounds of chemo, then stable. I was elated. As you read more and more stories on this site you will know what I mean. Hang in there. There is a lot of things that can be done. God Bless.

CharlieD

Hi Nicky.

I had 8 weekly chemo treatments along with 8 weeks of daily radiation treatments to the original tumors using 2 different types of chemo for the cocktail.

Then I had a break of about a month or so. I was evaluated for shrinkage and there was shrinkage. After a little bit, then I had more chemo treatments. They were higher doses than the original 8 and they were 3 weeks apart.

Good luck to your Dad and God bless.

Cindi o'h

Hi Nicky,

I just wrote you a nice big lonnnnnnnnnnng response and accidentally shut down my log in and lost it all. I'm not even going to try to remember all the stuff I typed the first time, and just say WELCOME!

I'm so glad you found us. We're here for you when you need us.

When you get more info, it helps us if you break it down in your profile. Look at the bottom of all the posts on this thread to get ideas. Then go to "Profile" at the top of the page. Go down to where it says "Signature" and type your dad's info in the box provided. When you're finished, go to the bottom of the page and click submit. You can always make changes to your profile at any time.

God bless you,

Peggy

I just wanted to thank people for their warm welcome and for their responses to my queries. I read them out to my dad on the phone this morning and he was very interested to hear what you said - i think it made him feel quite a bit better.

Nicky

Nicky,

I just wanted to welcome you and add one thing. If you read all the profiles of people here, you will see that every case is unique in every way including response to chemotherapy. Sometimes the results can be slow and if 3 or 4 treatments show a response, the doctor may want to go for more of the same chemotherapy. Sometimes, another kind is tried if the first shows no results. I find it comforting to know that there are so many different treatment options available if one doesn't work, there is nearly always something else that can be tried. Try to have positive thoughts and take it one day at a time. My best to you and your family.

sue

Hi Nicky,

Tell that Irishman to hang in there, there's always hope. Tell him to be

very persistent with the dr.'s. Is there anyway he can come to the US?

That would be wonderful. If not the phone is good. Tell him we're all

praying for him. My mother is a McKenna , her father was from Nothern

Ireland. Will pray for all.

I know very little about all of this when it comes right down to it, but in my opinion any shrinkage at this point is good. also, a tumor may not look all that much smaller on a scan, but it's total volume is what counts, and the total volume may be reduced alot more than you can see.

I wonder, too, about radiation - any word on that?

and yes, ditto Stand4Hope - give us some more info on your dad's diagnose and we can help more. it is true, every single case is so unique.

I do wish he could be here in the U.S. getting treatment. socialized medicine may be good for some things, but he could get much better care here I would bet.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Hi all

thanks again for your responses. Dad has written to the consultant at the hospital asking some questions which he did not get a chance to ask at his last appointment. At that appointment for his fourth round of chemo the doctor he saw indicated that he would have a review appointment in about 2 months time. that doesn't seem right to us - surely they should do a scan at the end too to see whether any more progress has been made??? hopefully the doctor will contact him soon and give him some more idea about what to expect next and we'll see if he is considering radiation ( which a number of you have suggested), and if not, why not.

I agree with you Ella and Karen that it sounds as if my dad would be able to get better care in the US and they seem to be further ahead with new treatments over there with you (they are only starting trials with Tarceva now in the UK). unfortunately the cost would rule out the option of travelling to the US for treatment, but we are keeping a look out for suitable trials going on in the UK too.

hope you're all going Ok,

Nicky