sister finished chemo today

shelliemacs

today was my sisters 6th chemo. hopefully her last. She has scans in March and then the first of 3 surgeries to try to reconstruct her somewhat.

her oncologist said she would start her Tamoxifen in 60 days.

I asked how will they know if the cancer comes back, or if its even gone?

she said she was not sure, she will see the onc. every 3 months for 3 years she was told. Not sure if this is good or bad.

They say there is no blood test for breast cancer, but if it becomes metastic, it should show in blood, i think.

she has been vomiting for about 3 hours now. they told her this last one would kick her *ss and it is.

I think about mom and dad allot lately, watching everyone here who is getting bad news and remembering what I fealt like when I neared the end with them both.

dad went very quick, mom a little slower. Cancer is an ugly horrible nightmare.

why can't it be cured??

Hey Shellie,

I'm glad your sister is finishing up with chemo. It's certainly nothing anyone would want to volunteer for, but if it keeps her from a recurrence, then it will be worth it.

I have been taking tamoxifen for almost 4 years. It's a good preventative medicine, and although it's not without it's side effects, I'm going to finish up my five years. My onc told me that with five years of tamoxifen therapy, the benefits would extend out 10-15 years. That makes it all worth it to me.

Good luck to both of you. I bet once this last barrage is over, she will start feeling better very quickly. I know I was really doing well about two weeks after my final chemo.

Stay in touch.

Cindy

Shellie, my mom, the colon cancer patient, is also a breast cancer survivor, and she has mammagrams every six months. she's a six month survivor and still has them that often. that is one good way to follow up.

your sister is a real trooper. I know you are very proud of her.

and Shellie, make sure YOU get all the screenings and scans you can for all these cancers, since they all run so rampant in your family. one thing we found out from my mom's double cancer, is that if you've had breast, colon, cervical or ovarian cancer, you're more likely (than the general population) to get one of the other three.

I'm so glad she made it through, that's a huge milestone!

God Bless,

Karen