Thoracentesis Time.. (tap the peripleural fluid)

cindi o'h

I got home late last night.

What an ordeal...! At the U, they really do alot of smoke and mirrors to make this into a bigger deal than what I think it needs to be.

I started to cry as soon as I saw the pillow over the table and was told to lean over it. My nurse was sensitive to my fears and immediately pushed the versed and fentanyl.

I ended up with a chest tube for the day and a liter of fluid came off. The color was "milky". Not a good color, I guess. The doctor said that means high in protein. Cancer cells excrete protein, he said.

I will know by the end of the week what the cytology report says.

I had good nurses and the intervention radiologist was nice also. No collapse.

Still need prayers that this is not cancer. There is a chance that something else could be causing me trouble in the pleural space, but now I don't remember what he said.

love, Cindi o'h

Cindi,

I am not relenting on the prayers until this issue has total resolution....and maybe not even then. Hope you are relaxing some at home and will be feeling better soon.

Will be thinking of you and waiting for that report along with you.

Wish I was there,

Kasey

Hi Cind,

So glad that procedure is over with and they did get fluid out.

I hope your SOB improves with all that fluid that was extracted.

Prayers as always. Keep us posted when you know anything. Hang in there, you will get through this also.

Maryanne

Yes.. I have more breath. I went in with crackles, wheezes, rales, and other stuff... A very noisy lung. Today, hardly a peep coming out of there. I can walk the distance of the apartment without losing my breath completely.

I am tender today...bruised feeling. Thanks for all the continued prayers. I have a feeling now that this might not turn out so good, but I am a rascal and a good scrapper and will do whatever it takes to keep on going.

cindi o'h

Cindi,

Sounds like the procedure wasn't too bad. I'm glad to know that your breathing is better and you are able to walk that new apartment better. You must stay positive about the results. Most effusions are not cancerous and can be caused by previous radiation, infection or cancer in our lungs. But, remember I was diagnosed 2 years ago with a malignant pleural effusion, I'm still here fighting :P . CharlieD's effusion resolved after starting Alimta. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you, your nurses sound like they were wonderful. Much better experience than I had......

Get some rest,

Teri

I'm glad you got some relief from the procedure. My positive thoughts that were "winging their way" should be with you soon. I had to send them via carrier pigeon and it's a fair old distance. Yeah, that was cr*p - I know!

Also echoing what Patkid said generally. I've got everything crossed for you.

Dee