Morphine Drip

Guest Iiris

Guest Iiris

My dad was readmitted to the hospital this afternoon after having a night of not being able to breathe. He was just released from the hospital yesterday after being there this week-end for dehydration and effects of chemo. The first thing he did once released was buy a pack of cigarettes and I guess he smoked more yesterday/last night then he has in months. Now they have him in the hospital on a morphine drip to relax his breathing and we've been told that he "could" die tonight - that in the condition he is in, the morphine could put him to sleep and he might never wake up. I'm in shock.....wasn't expecting any of this so soon even tho' I know he's very sick. The rest of him seems quite strong - his heart, his mind, his body - everything except for his lungs and they say it's amazing that he's breathing at all. He's having few, if any, symptoms from the lung cancer other then it complicating his already severe emphysema.

I'm on my way to the hospital now. I've been told

that more cancer patients die from morphine overdose then they do the disease. Is this true?

Thank you..... Billie

Billie,

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad.

My dad died of severe COPD (emphesema) and received a lot of morphine in his last 1-2 weeks before he died. The thing with morphine is that, especially when it's given in heavy doses, it does adversely affect breathing, slows the number of respirations per minute, etc. However, the good thing is that it takes away the struggle to breathe that the patient feels, so it's very comforting to the patient. Without the morphine, the struggle to breathe is a horrible, horrible and frightening experience. I'm glad your dad won't have to experience that.

Sending you great big hugs and much love,

Peggy

I hope I am not being too blunt, but the morphine may be the difference between a peaceful death in 24 hours, or a horribly distressing (for your dad) struggle which lasts for days. Unless your dad has strong feelings otherwise, the goal will be to keep him comfortable and not in distress.

I know many families feel horrible guilt over the use of morphine in a dying person, and there are certainly cases where the morphine is not used properly. However, when my mother was first hospitalized, we had many discussions with medical staff about morphine (we were concerned because Mom was at risk of lung hemorrhage and is sensitive to pain meds), and I would not hesitate to make my mother comfortable with morphine. The feeling of being unable to breathe is terrifying for a patient, and hard for the family to watch. The fear and distress can overtax the heart, hastening death. Without a crystal ball to ensure a perfect decision, you can only do your best.

I do not talk about this much--But when my mom was in her last few days I gave her, her morphine by injections. She had been on morphine for a few months before she went into a coma. The coma lasted 3-4 days. Since she could not swallow those last few days I had the Dr order the morphine so I could give her shots.

Nobody could tell for sure whether she was in pain-she could not talk or make signs she was in pain. I knew tho as long as she had been on it physically she was addicted. I also knew she would physically go thru withdrawl. Muscle cramps, sweats, shivers, etc. I gave her the shots every 4-6 hrs around the clock.

I know morphine depresses the resp. and if I had not given it she MAY have lasted a few more days-------

I know I would rather be in peace-pain free, breathing easier than to go thru what I have seen when people do not use a pain med at the end.

Morphine in itself if given in the right doses will not stop a person from breathing. It is a very good pain med. It helps the pain, relaxes the mind, and opens up smaller blood vessels so more o2 can get thru. That is why it is used so much at stages like this.

You have my prayers and well wishes for your dad.

Cindy

I've been told that more cancer patients die from morphine overdose then they do the disease. Is this true?

Simply put, no. It is a common misconception that morphine is a last-resort drug that leads to respiratory depression, stops breathing, and/or causes death. In truth, morphine is the best drug for pain relief and relief of breathing discomfort. The sedation that slows breathing is a side effect, yes, but this is part of the symptom relief that the drug brings. Giving morphine is the best thing to do for someone who is acutely short of breath or in pain, when the alternative is to allow these symptoms to escalate.

Then there is tolerance. Tolerance develops to all opioids, so anyone who has been on any opioids (oxycodone, oxycontin, MS Contin, codeine, roxanol, hydrocodone, methadone, etc.) will have tolerance to morphine, and thus require a higher dose than the average person. This may lead to the misconception that too much morphine was used.

Please do not suffer believing that he would have recovered if not for the morphine. Not knowing anything about the situation, I can say that it was probably the best choice for providing him some comfort and peace.

- Teresa

Guest Iiris

My dad is resting fairly comfortably with the morphine. They've decreased the dosage gradually and he's somewhat lucid tonight. They tell us the dose of morphine he is getting is very small - a 3 - but I'm not sure of what that means dosage wise. They started with a 7 last night and have come down to the 3 now. The drs have been preparing us for the inevitable which just hit us sooner than expected. We've been told that he's in end stage COPD and they think the cancer is aggravating it. His lungs were showing signs of fluid last night but not today. He's puffy and swollen but whether it's the steroids or what we don't know. There's alot we don't know - alot of presuming and theories right now. It appears his organs are beginning to fail. They mentioned hospice today but he'd be unable to continue the morphine drip in hospice and be restricted to the patch, liquid and pills under his tongue. The drip helpsp his breathing so much we're hesitant to make any changes in that. His main dr suggested he stay put where he's at so he can be monitored because it's just a matter of days. Now we're all just trying to come to terms with the suddenenss of it all when we should've known better, I guess. Yes, I'm broken-hearted that I'm going to lose my dad but it's even worse watching my mom lose the man she's loved for 54 years. I can't even imagine her pain.

Thanks to all of you......I'll be checking in off again, on again, whenever I happen to be hear a computer. God Bless You for your kindness...

Billie

Now we're all just trying to come to terms with the suddenenss of it all when we should've known better, I guess.

Please do not worry about what you should have known or done. You could not have known. No one can know. No one can really prepare. You have done and will continue to do your best for your Dad and yourselves, with a doubt. Peace to you, Teresa

Sending you all my prayers and thoughts of comfort. This is so hard... The morphine subject has haunted me for months.... I think in the end though, it is most important to make Dad comfortable which is what you are doing.... Try to talk to one of the nurses or doctors about the morphine and what it is doing to your dad NOW... don't wait until after he passes... I made that mistake and it was the worst one of my life. You need to know the answers to your questions while he is still with you. I will be thinking of you. Love, Sharon