I am sick/ All the destruction- Biolxi, New Orleans, Alabama

Maryanne

I am in total shock from all those pictures that are coming in from Biolxi, New Orleans, Alabama.

I don't think I have ever seen so much distruction. In New Orleans the water is still rising and 2 levies broke.

In Biolxi, complete, I mean complete devestration.

They just showed a Walmart in New Orleans, being completely looted. They have people on camera some with shopping carts just taking everything they can get their hands on. Some of them are smiling into the camera. How can they do this at times like this?

I am sick and heartbroken.

Mother nature really showed us who is boss.

G-d bless all the people who lost their lives and all the pain the people are going through and will be going through when they look for their homes. :cry:

There is no power, phone service, cell phone service so people do not know if their relatives are safe. How horrific.

This is so sad.

Maryanne

I couldn't believe it myself. I was watching some footage on CNN and it was awful. Those poor people! I also heard that power would be out for at least 2 months!!!!! How devasting. My heart goes out to those people who have lost their homes and family.

jorja

I was born in Crowley,Lousiana; lived in New Orleans while I was a toddler, and have many relatives in that area.I LOVE New Orleans and those people. Lousiana has the most warm, heart giving people in the world. They deserve our prayers. God bless them all,Nancy C

This is the biggest disaster I have ever seen pictures of or heard of. I am in north Alabama and feel so very lucky this night that I am safe and have power. We had some high wind. Trees are down in several areas, but we are safe. My children are safe. We surely are blessed.

Nina

One thing I r eally don't understand -- I've heard the interviews with FEMA people and with government officials, both before and after, with all the concern about what might (and did) happen and all the planning that had gone into evacuation. They knew that there were so many truly poor people there with no means of escape...why didn't they have contingency plans for mobilising trucks, busses, trains, whatever, and truly evacuating everyone, especially the poor and handicapped who were stuck.

I know that this would have been expensive and difficult -- finding places to shelter them, etc., etc., but with years of planning (which they seemed to indicate they had had) they could have come up with something, surely.... During the tsunami, Americans were saying things like "tsk, tsk, those governments over there need to have a better warning system; if it had been here, we would have prevented the catastrophe"...well, we knew it was coming and we told people to get out but then just sat back and watched those who couldn't founder or end up in the super dome which must be living hell.

I'm with you, el. you hit the nail on the head.

in the end, it's just a tragedy. I can't defend the looting. I've also never been in anything like that situation, so I can't imagine the fear. if my family were starving and I had no money and there was an open food store...I dunno. but for the grace of god, right? the jewelry and stuff, though, give me a break!

praying for them all.

xoxo

amie

I heard somebody say that so much is a complete loss and insurance will cover it anyway....so what's the big deal about looting?....and I wanted to SCREAM!!

Looting is stealing. I just don't understand the mentality of going into Wal*Mart and helping one's self ~???

The devastation is so far beyond what I've seen anywhere else in my lifetime....it's hard to believe. I cannot imagine. And yet most people plan to rebuild and stay in the area. I think I'd be making plans to get outta Dodge after something like this.

We are getting rather heavy rains here this morning...and I wonder if it's some tail end of Katrina hitting the northeast?

While we all vibe, pray and send good thoughts out for each other...let's not forget to send a few to Katrina's victims down south. :(

It has been heartbreaking watching all the fim from down south. The looting makes me so sick. I see no problem with them going into the grocery stores, after all most of that will be spoiling. BUT the jewelry, appliance and clothing stores. My hubby said they need to get the National Guard in those areas with big sticks! That is always his answer.

I wish the people had listened more and gotten out. There were buses for just that purpose. A lot chose to go to the superdome so afterwards they could go home quicker. I know after sooo many warnings in the past most probably never thought it could be this bad.

I wonder if FEMA or the Salvation Army have thought about asking those of us north to open up our houses to these families while the clean up is going on. It would be cheaper and more comfy for them than putting everybody up in hotels. I suppose they could pay a stipend to help with food costs.

I have so much room in my house but not the finances to feed a family of 4 if they were to come stay.

I have friends in the state office in Springfield, maybe I will ask about it.

Anyway if you can send money I know the Salvation Army has a farely low overhead so most of what you send actually goes to thee ones needing it.

Cindy

Me too, Maryanne. And top it off with that helpless feeling I have makes it worse. About the time we think we have it bad, Mother Nature pulls out the card she has been hiding up her sleeve.

It's almost more than the mind can comprehend. We just do what we can and pray, I guess. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to all those people.

Di

Mark and I have been near tears watching the coverage. I donated to the Red Cross but I wish I could go there and hold a shaking hand or find someone's pet or something.

I agree some better evacuation planning could have been done. If I weren't committed to keeping this board as free of off-topic controversy as possible, I'd have plenty to say about current politics. 'Nuff said.

I'm especially sorry for those of you who have personal ties to the region. It would break my heart to see my home town or my relative's homes devastated.

Leslie

This devastation is really hard to watch, as it rings a little too close home for me. I thought we had it really bad here in Florida last year. My little town was just a few miles north of the direct hits by Frances and Jeanne. We were so very lucky compared to the areas hit by Katrina and we are still putting our lives back in order. I finally got my garage door replaced last week, after waiting almost one year. If it took us this long to rebuild our homes, what are these people in for? I am terrified, as I know the next storm could bring this kind of devastation to my area. Like others, I am totally disgusted by the looting. Have any of you ever watched vultures in action? These looters remind me of vultures, just looming around looking for the remains to feast on. Like Cindy, I have no problem for people taking food from the grocery stores, as food will spoil without electricity. But... some agency should have cleared the food from the shelves and distributed it to the people before the looters could get to it! My heart is so heavy for these families!!!

The more TV that I watch , the longer I think it will be before the coast is back to "normal" . We have tried to call friends and the Perry's ( our renters) but even the cell phone numbers don't work.

We have heard a lot about the destruction in Biloxi, which is only 2 towns away ( only Ocean Springs is between).

We are hoping being on the north side of town as far as floods from surge -we are OK. Floods from rain is another thing and of course the wind could have taken the roof or downed one of the pines out front and hit the roof.

I am most concerned now about all the people I know down there, in Slidell, Abita Springs, Louisiana and of course in and around Gautier, Ms . I have Monica Blilies mothers number in St. Paul, I wonder if she has heard how they are ( we have known the Blilies for many years, over 20) and they live in Gautier a little south of our house.

The news is unbelievable. We were in Gautier in 79' when Hurricane Frederick hit the Gulf Coast, it was horrible, all the damage, trees down, no water or electricity for over 2 weeks, hot , sweaty, no air conditioning the first week of September ( same time of year) This sounds worse! We went to the Gulf to "wash " off in the water after working in the yard all day, now the highway is out you can't even do that! The pictures of the houses leveled to the ground ! If you have extra prayers , please remember the Gulf Coast. I went to morning Mass for this purpose .

. Donna