Cookbook update

ginnyde

I have given 19 cookbooks to family and friends over the past few weeks. I was amazed at the response, not that the book is beautiful and full of wonderful recipes, which we all know it is. But everyone thought that the idea, the name etc and just seemed overwhelmingly pleased to get the book. Each person started looking through the book when they received it.

I know Rochelle wrapped it with an antique pin (wish I had been on her gift list). I wrapped it with a set of measuring spoons that I got in a kitchen store for only $1.99 each. Got a great response to that also.

Well, Andrea I am going to have to order more. I have more friends than I thought. I'll get back to you.

These do not have to be Christmas or Hanukah (Sorry about the spelling). They make great birthday presents or just 'glad I know you' presents.

Everyone I gave them to loved them as well. Got a great response to the poem by dear friend Rich too. One suggestion - I never thought of - most cookbooks like these have recipes from folks all in the same general area. My cleaning lady saw them as I was getting ready to wrap. She loved it so much I gave her one too. I explained how the recipes were from people all over the place. She wanted to know where all the people were from. I thought - I want to know that too! Just an idea for the future.

BTW....no antique pins or mixing bowls or measuring spoons were wrapped up with mine. Does that mean I don't love my friends as much :? ?

Kasey

I have been having a great response too. People I gave them to ended up buying them for others. Two of my girlfriends bought them for their daughters after I gave them one. I even gave them to my nephews with a letter explaining that there were very coveted family recipes in there.

My best gift of the cookbook though went to my son who will hopefully be a great chef someday. He will start culinary college next fall. I wrote inside the cover that it contained recipes from both of his grandfathers and if he becomes half the cook they were he would do well.

I just loved giving these and love having one myself, I hope we can do another one someday. Tonight I am making Addie's dip for guests.

I gave all my cookbooks away also and then realized that I didn't save one for myself. I'll have to order more since I was dying to try that crab dip recipe! My siblings and other family members really loved the book; it was very emotional for all of us especially since there is a picture of me and pop's in it.

Kathi

We also gave then to family/friends, my onc doctor/nurse. Some were inside Christmas baskets with home made fudge/candy in ceramic decorative Christmas containers. Another great idea by Rochelle! Everyone we gave them to love them and said what I great cause. This made Christmas very special for me this year giving the cookbooks.

Today I'm making Rochelle's fathers Bruce's Homemade Spaghetti Sauce on page 45. :) Plan on trying others as well.

When we do the second cookbook:

We should include where the recipe came from, state or country. A couple of my friends mentioned that.

I still have a ton of recipes to submit.

Have a page in the front that people can fill out to send in a donation and maybe a return envelope.

I have a Winterthur cookbook that suggests menus for things like a dinner party, a shower, New Years Eve. I find this a great help.

Gave my cookbooks away for the holidays too and all the responses were very, very positive. So far, I've made Geri's crab dip (yummy) and Rochelle's meatballs. Actually, I made the meatballs regular size, from scratch and cooked them in the crock pot as per directions, served them over rice and got rave reviews. Can't wait to try other recipes. Have the cookbooks been a moneymaker for this website? Hope so. They're great!

Gail p-m

I am glad people liked them! If I sell out, I will order more.

I originally wanted to put where people were from, but some people didn't give the information or want the information in it and it ended up being like 50/50 and looked sloppy with half missing. I had no clue what I was doing when I started collecting the recipes :)

As for raising money, I recouped my costs, I spent approximately $3,500 "publishing" the book, meaning ordering the 600 books. Now I have about $1,000 extra to send to Katie tomorrow. We are in profit mode now.

Hey Richard...I am glad your family liked it. You know what this means now...your cover is blown, they know you can cook. :shock: I am predicting many more meals in your future....

I made the sauce for company on Sunday. I think next time I am leaving the red pepper out, it was just a little too tangy for me. One of our guests asked for the recipe so I told him he could have it for 12 bucks and sold him a cookbook. Only a few to go.

I am happy to hear the cookbooks did so well..I have a great recipe from my brother mark for clam sauce..I will save it for the next cookbook..I have tons of italian recipes from my grandmother, I know you will love them all..I love my cookbook!!

God Bless..

Donna

I got great responses from the books I gave away, also. My sons were so grateful and felt so connected, as their dad's picture was in the front of the book. If you don't have a copy yet, you have no idea what you are missing.