An update on mom today

mamasbabygirl

I got to see mom twice today.

The first visit scared me. The nurse told us that there was air in her brain which in normal, but it means she must lie flat until tomorrow when they rescan her. Now, at her pre-op pulmonologist appointment, the Dr. emphasized how important it would be for mom to sit up after surgery to avoid pnuemonia, sooooooo the Dr. sat her slightly up this afternoon. The lesser of two evils I guess.

Also, the social worker called to say that mom did not know how many children she had and did not know here she was. She asked if this was normal for my mom-uhhhhhh, noooooooooooooo!! Mom was better by the afternoon visit I think. She cracked a few jokes about being a pain in the wazoo because she said her back hurt. They gave her pain meds and again slightly elevated her. She said that made her pain better. She kept pulling her oxygen mask off and she pulled her bandages from her head, so the Dr. let her keep the head bandages off.

The Dr. said she needs to use the spiro something, but she is so out of it. Maybe by tomorrow she will be more awake.

The nurse told us we are still very much in the wait and see mode. I will be patient for her recovery.

Thanks for the prayers. I will catch up with all of your posts very soon.

Lori,

Well, at least the surgery is water under the bridge.

The reason they want her flat is to get the air to dissipate. If they elevate her head, it will collect at the uppermost part of her brain and give her a WHOPPING headache. But you are right - don't want pneumonia, either!

I think the he spiro thing is the spirometer. It had little balls in it and the patient has to suck in through the mouthpiece and get the balls to the top of the device. It forces deep inspiration which helps prevent pneumonia. Not much you can do if she's not alert enough to use it.

Hope she continues to progress.

~Suz

Glad to read she is some what back to her old self, (jokes and all.) Is she able to move her leg and arm yet? Before you know it, she'll be up and walking. Praying for a speedy and complete healing. She is in good hands.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. Lots' of prayers.

God Bless,

Karen

Mom is not moving her left side at all. She cannot do it if asked or anything. However, the Dr. said she did squueze his hand firmly right afer surgery and so he thinks it is from the brain swelling. She is on ativan, 40 mg of decadron, and her 3 regular seizure meds. I also just read online that the brain swelling will last for a while and during that time, there will seem to be no improvement. Her face is symmetrical when she opens her mouth, a tes the Dr. did and commented that was good.

Oh Lori..

Many things came out well after the surgery. Brain surgery! It has gotten to be so routine now. When I was growing up, the brain was virtually uncharted territory. I am so glad that "they" can do something to help your mom.

Prayers coming for the W&S time to go smoothly and quickly.

love, Cindi o'h

Lori,

Just a gentle reminder that the docs said things might become worse before they get better. That is pretty much how things usually work out for me. I'm doubling up on the prayers for you and your Mom, though, with the hopes that improvement comes faster.