Many Prayers Needed

DebsSky

Thanks everyone, I surely appreciate all your support and prayers. My Mom is doing well with this first round, not much for side effects yet.

Jen:

I have talked to her onc. about Gamma Knife and it is available in Calgary, but he does not want her to have it at this point as the last patient he had with her similar condition only had a brain met left and the procedure left him 0 function left. He is very apprehensive about it, but said that we can talk further after we see what will happen with this chemo. Thanks for the advice.

Can any of you that have had gamma tell about your experiences with it?

Praying for you all, much love,

Deb

My mom had stereotactic radiation to 4 brain mets and it held them stable (she still had focal seizures though) for several months, but then radiation necrosis started causing her mobility problems. I have heard that if stereotactic radiation is used, you may want to try to have hyperbaric oxygen therapy right afterward to help the healthy cells. Of coure, HBO may be ruled out if she has compromised lung function. Just our experience...

Best of luck to you guys.

My mother was actually dying before the gamma knife was done. It was just too late - there was probably too much other microscopic activity going on in her brain. She was almost bedridden when it was done, so the day was just too long for her.

The person best able to determine whether it would help your mom would be the oncologist who performs the gamma knife. Results depend upon size and location of the tumor. Perhaps your mom's scans could be sent to Calgary to see if they think your mom might be helped.

If her onc. has only had one patient treated with gamma knife, I'd look for a more informed opinion.

Deb I am praying for your mom.

I also agree that you should get more information on Gamma knife. My husband hasn't had it, but his radiation oncologist has discussed it with us as something he feels would be a great benefit to us to have in our back pocket if Keith's mets start to grow again.

Thank you everyone for your many prayers. I will keep you in mine for sure as always.

Jen and Carleen:

I am going to call her oncologist today and talk to him about sending the scans to Calgary just to get a second opinion on the gamma from them. Her rad. onc. here is not exactly helpful and I have never had much trust in him. He never seems to want to help at all. :evil: Thanks for the heads up and I will keep you posted. How is Keith doing Carleen? My heart and prayers go out to you as I can see how very much you love that man.

Love and prayers,

Deb