Alimta so far...

Ry

Ry honey, I am sorry John is having such a rough time with the Alimta. I too pray that the offset for all the side effects is that it is doing serious damage to some cancer cells.

Keith's second to last chemo was Alimta. During the first couple of weeks we felt the side effects weren't that bad, just exhaustion but not too much in the way of nausea. But, the exhaustion just kept getting worse. He followed the Alimta with 2 rounds of CPT-11 which he could barely tolerate he was just so tired already and never got a chance to recover. Now, he's been off treatment for 3 weeks now, and he is still so exhausted that for the first time in 3 years he is unable to work. He is actually going on Disability because the fatigue; and he is having no treatment, his blood counts are fine, and his liver enzymes are ok. No real cause that we can pin point for the exhaustion, just that alimta and CPT-11 really kicked his butt.

Unfortunately it did nothing for his cancer, as it progressed and grew everywhere on this last scan.

I pray for much better results for your John.

Hi Ry,

I'm sorry to hear the Alimta has been so rough on John.

The darn side effects are SO hard sometimes!!!!

I'm praying that this little break will get him feeling better and you'll be able to get approved for Avastin. It has been the miracle drug for us and I'm hoping it will be for you too.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Thanks for all your good thoughts and well wishes. John said yesterday that he was finally starting to feel human again. The antibiotics seem to be working on whatever is causing his fever. He goes to the onc on the 27th and we will see what the next step is-- not sure when they will scan him again.

I am glad that John is feeling better now Ry. I hope he can find something else that is effective if the alimta is too nasty. From what I have seen here, when people have a hard time with alimta, it is real nasty. I have read that one can do a chemo over again if it has been more than a year since it was last used. Maybe a combo of avastin and gemzar would be good.

The plan is for me to do 4 rounds of alimta in the adjuvant setting after my tumor is dead, dead, dead from radiation.

Don M