Tarceva Info

Kasey

I'm looking for input here............and need it ASAP. Does anyone have any info on use of Tarceva alone vs. Tarceva in combination with typical chemotherapy drugs? We are to make a decision as to which way to go, and I have researched, but am looking for any firsthand knowledge here. Anyone know of a benefit to adding chemo to Tarceva for advanced adenocarcinoma? Thanks to anyone who can shed any light.

Kasey

Kasey,, Tarceva has an 800 number one can call to ask questions @ 1-877-827-2382. They should be able to tell you and sent you literature on it. Also I would think the doctor would have some info on that, as to which road is best to travel. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

PS: This is posted on there website. Below is the link. http://www.tarceva.com/tarceva/patient/index.jsp

Indication and Usage for Lung Cancer patients

TARCEVA monotherapy is indicated for the treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer after failure of at least one prior chemotherapy regimen.

Results from two, multicenter, placebo-controlled, randomized, Phase 3 trials conducted in first-line patients with locally advanced or metastatic NSCLC showed no clinical benefit with the concurrent administration of TARCEVA with platinum-based chemotherapy [carboplatin and paclitaxel or gemcitabine and cisplatin] and its use is not recommended in that setting.

Sorry Kasey, I don't have any info on Tarceva and chemo combined. I have also been trying to do a bunch of research on Tarceva as it is something Keith and I haven't tried yet, and I see it doing good things for others on the site. In my research, I have found what looks like encouraging results from Tarceva and Avastin combined. But I don't know if it is first line or second line treatment.

Is this for Tracy? I'm still wishing and praying for all the best for both you, Fred, Tracy, and her family. I pray you find the right treatment right away.

clinical trials Is a sticky in New meds forum. Will see what I can find. Deb was on solo Tarcevaa and was told that it was used as a maintenance rather than a cure Meds. That was Last summer though.

ZURICH/NEW YORK (Reuters) - An experimental drug, Tarceva, extended the life of lung cancer patients by one third, according to results from a late-stage clinical trial.

The drug, developed by Roche Holding AG, OSI Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Genentech Inc. is one of a new class of drugs that block epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR), which promotes cell growth.

The results surprised some, as Tarceva did not improve survival when given with standard chemotherapy in an earlier trial. In the latest trial, Tarceva was tested in patients who had failed to respond to chemotherapy.

Tarceva is in the same class of drug as ImClone System Inc.'s colorectal cancer drug Erbitux and AstraZeneca Plc's lung cancer drug Iressa.

Neither Erbitux nor Iressa have shown that they extend life.

OSI expects to launch Tarceva in the first quarter of 2005. Tarceva will be used alone as a second-or third-line treatment for patients who do not respond to standard therapy.

The company is also testing it in other kinds of cancer.

Separately, Roche said a late-stage study showed its experimental ovarian cancer drug R1549 was no more effective than standard care. The company said it was unlikely to develop the drug further. It was developing the drug with Britain's Antisoma Plc.

The ovarian-cancer study was a setback for Roche and Antisoma, which launched an alliance in late 2002 that gave Roche access to the British firm's experimental cancer compounds.

So far this is all I can Find.

1) WAIT tere is more follow this link;

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00137839

Related Pages

Search for Clinical Trials 1

NCI's PDQ® database of cancer clinical trials.

Lung Cancer Home Page 2

NCI's gateway for information about lung cancer.

2)Erlotinib (Tarceva®) Plus Chemotherapy Fails to Improve Overall Survival in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer follow this Link;

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/re ... ?page=&key

3) Flip side of debate single agent support Erlotinib (Tarceva®) Extends Survival in Advanced

Lung Cancer

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/re ... 0604/print

4)Might want to see about this trial maybe???

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00265317

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... ewsid=9255

I *think* like Iressa the combination does not work too well.

Results from two, multicenter, placebo-controlled, randomized, Phase III trials conducted in first-line patients with locally advanced or metastatic NSCLC showed no clinical benefit with the concurrent administration of Tarceva with platinum-based chemotherapy and its use is not recommended in that setting.

I am a bit late jumping in here, but I just completed 3 cycles of Avastin every 3 weeks, zometa every 6 weeks and tarceva daily.

I was told they are still studying if the combination above or traditional chemo works better.......

BUT I had recently had two mets to the bone. I had spot radiation and the above drugs -

TODAY I got the results of my PET scan and the spots are gone and no new ones!!

Obviously drugs work differently for each of us, but I thought I would share my recent experience.

I hope they found a combo that works for you!!

Wendy

Mom has only done Tarceva alone. 14 months later, her primary remains unchanged (no growth or shrinkage--we call it a good thing). They did find a first 'new' small tumor last month.

Originally they thought she'd be long gone by now. I don't know if this helps, but I'm amazed at the stuff.

:) Kelly

I'm looking for input here............and need it ASAP. Does anyone have any info on use of Tarceva alone vs. Tarceva in combination with typical chemotherapy drugs? We are to make a decision as to which way to go, and I have researched, but am looking for any firsthand knowledge here. Anyone know of a benefit to adding chemo to Tarceva for advanced adenocarcinoma? Thanks to anyone who can shed any light.

Kasey

K :

Based on the clinical literature that I'm aware of Tarceva taken in combination with chemotherapy hasn't proven to be of value with the exception of a sub-set of patients that have never, ever smoked. They benefited from the combined tx but I honestly don't recall if the benefit was clinically significant.

On a personal note, my wife is currently on a Tarceva / Gemzar / Navelbine regimen. Short term scan data indicates that her pulmonary condition is mixed. The size, quantity and distribution of lung tumors appear unchanged after one month of tx, which is good, but her malignant pleural effusion appears to be slowly reforming. Her difficulty deep breathing suggests this, also. Her ALP level is high but almost unchanged from March to April which suggests stability. My gut feeling is that this tx regimen will hold her largely stable, at best, and at the next update her med onc will have to make some sort of tx adjustment or change. Her RBC values are getting hammered, most likely due to the Navelbine, to the point that the med onc has had to reduce both Gemzar and Navelbine dosages. Tarceva left at 150mg. daily.

Good luck.

B