Jim's PET scan

Jim had a PET scan 6/9, will get results on 6/13. Please send prayers for a clean scan. In the beginning dr. had stated that after 4 treatments he would get a scan and if clean he may not have to finish last 2 treatments. Jim has had his sights set on this, he does not want last 2 treatments, would like to back to work, has not worked since 10/31/05. I took him to Cape May for the weekend to try to take our minds off of results. He informed me if there are mets he will not continue treatments and to prepare myself for it. Dr. did say he may give him some sort of med which blocks blood vessels to tumors as an alternative to last 2 treatments so that he could get back to work. Anyone have any info on this? Not sure what it is called. Thanks. Barbara Lea

Hi Barbara,

I will say lots and lots of prayers for Jim to get clean scan results.

The drugs that work to kill cancer cells by cutting off blood supply are called antiangiogenesis drugs. The most current drug in trials in this catagory is Avastin, but there are also many others.

Here is a list of other drugs currently in trial:

thalidomide (Thalomid); squalamine; endostatin; angiostatin; AE-941 (Neovastat); lenalidomide (CC-5013, Revlimid); medi-522 (Vitaxin); 2-methoxyestradiol (2ME2, Panzem); Carboxyamidotriazole (CAI); combretastatin A4 phosphate (CA4P); SU6668; SU11248; BMS-275291; COL-3 (Metastat); cilengitide (EMD 121974); IMC-1121B; vatalanib (PTK787/ZK222584); LY317615; VEGF Trap; ZD6474; halofuginone hydrobromide (Tempostatin); celecoxib (Celebrex); interferon alfa; interleukin-12 (IL-12).

They are targeted therapies, and therefore generally have a lot less side effects than standard chemotherapy. If your husband is not tolerating the chemo well, than any one of these may be a good option for him. There are also other targeted therapies other than antiangiogensis drugs too that he can try including Tarceva. These other drugs target the way cancer cells multiply and replicate. Please try and tell Jim to not give up hope. Even with mets, there is still a good chance for beating this and getting into full remission.

Sending you lots of love and prayers.

Carleen

Prayers for good scans for you guys! If there are mets, he may very well change his mind about treatment. There are lots and lots of people on this board who have had bone, liver, etc mets and continue to do very well....I guess you never realy know what you will do until you are faced with the information. Treatment or no treatment, prayers for many, many good days, weeks, months ahead.