Radiation - tiring

marym

I had radiation for 10 days over the last two weeks. It was back and front to treat T7 and T8 which were causing pain in my ribs.

I finished Tuesday, but I seem to still be really tired. Did others find that radiation was tiring even after it was completed?

I go to the doctor Monday, so I'll see what my labs are - but I wonder if this is just normal and not an indication that my red cells are down.

Mary

Mary,

I can tell you that my husband was so very, very tired after his radiation, he had whole brain for a month, and it was so draining on him, the radiologist said that he would be feeling the effects of it for some time after he finished, and I can tell you he did. But it's also a good idea to keep checking those blood levels, because if you're running low on any of your blood levels combined with the effects of the radiation it can send you for a loop. I hope it all turns out well for you.

Grace

Hi Mary,

I finished my 10 day radiation on Wednesday of this week. Yes, I'm still tired. I never nap and this past week I've napped every day. The docs said the radiation will still be working for up to another 2 weeks and I may still feel tired.

Mine was also on my spine somewhere and also sacrum. I'm too tired to remember.

Joan

How's y

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering... I have to talk to the rad doc at Bowman Gray on Thursday. How do I decide where to have my rad treatments. At home or at the university?? I am praying for a simple solution to this question. At home would be much simpler, but originally they said they had to be careful around my heart due to the location of my tumor. (I have been traveling from VA to NC for chemo)

Anyone have any suggestions? Have you all had to make a decision or do the docs do it for you?

Betty

I had the same decision to make. I traveled to have my chemo done so I could be seen by my onc doc each time. (1 time per month). But, when I needed radiation, the radiation was so quick (takes about 5 minutes), I decided to have it done close to home. Also, I didn't need to see the onc doc and it was also every day. To travel every day I really thought would be too much for me.

The only question I would have is are they ok with the fact that its close to your heart. Can they handle that comfortably.

Joan

HI Mary and Betty,

I took an afternoon nap almost every afternoon for at least a year after radiation and chemo. The radiation keeps working even after they stop treatment, it is an internal burn that slowly heals.

It is important that who ever does the radiation takes care to aim the beam precisely, and monitor progress weekly to make treatment adjustments. I would make the drive to larger hospital, it is more likely they have better equipment and more experienced techs. Just my two cents. :)

Barb

Mary,

My dad's onc told him that about 2 weeks after he has PCI, he will get very, very tired, and that they don't really know why that is, but that most people get tired after radiation. He was very tired after his lung radiation as well, but that was mixed with chemo, so it is hard to tell the true culprit.

I would take it to the doc if you are concerned.

God bless,

jen

Today will be my 35th and final radiation treatment along with 6 chemos of taxol and carbo. All of a sudden I am more tired and more frustrated than I have been throughout this whole ordeal. I actually had to have someone feed my horses for me yesterday and in turn that depressed me. I am unable to take naps due to the steroids they pump in with chemo so I guess in response to your question I will will give a great big YES ... it does tire you out!!!! I am sure everything will get better if I just have patience and say my prayers. Hang in there and no that even though it is wearing you out it is what is going to make you better. :lol: