Problem sleeping??/

I-Keep-Praying

My mom is having a really hard time staying asleep at night. She tried taking Advil Pm. No go. Then the doc gave her a prescription for Vistaril 25mg. Tried it last night, 1 tablet, no go. She wakes EVERY hour. Eventually gets up @ 4 am and is just so tired. So tonight she is going to try 2 tabs (doc said if 1 didn't work, try 2) Anyone experienced this?

Mom has a hard time sleeping, esp when she is on the Decadron. She tries to cut down on 'napping' during the day. She is afraid to use sleep meds when she is not in the hospital (afraid to drive the next day), but the Ambien works well for her when she is there.

Hope your Mom can find some relief! It is so hard to make it through the day when you can't sleep at night.

:) Kelly

Hi There :P

My father had trouble falling asleep when he was Decadron too especially when he took 4 mg of it. He has cut his dose to 2 mg.

My father had also suffered from insomnia when he was first diagnosed. I know that it has gotten a little better, but he's still not sleeping as good as he used to. Lots of thinking you know?

Best,

Shirley

It has been a problem for me, especially during treatment. Ambien at bedtime helped put me to sleep, but then after 2-4 hours, I would become WIDE awake.

1mg Ativan did the trick. When that stopped, then 2mg., when that stopped then 3mg....shhhh! (had to get rest!)

Now if I take 1mg Ativan, I am OUT for a couple of days.

Cindi o'h

I can remember when I was on moriphen and would also have to have ambien and ativan also. Those were the days. After I got better I would alternate ambien and then ativan. Use whatever is necessary you can always work it out later.

God Bless

Don

Keith had this problem. For the most part, he was on Triazolam which solved the problem. However there were periods of time where it wasn't enough. Especially when times were rough and he had anxiety. During those times he took celexa for his anxiety and then the Triazolam for sleeping.

Yea; steroids mess up our emotional state...I had sleeplessness, anxiety attacks. ER doc gave me Lorazepam...cheap, and really knocks me out, calmed down and slept good. Might ask doc if its anxiety...gotta get somethin that works...needs her sleep. Like all these drugs, it has some addiction potential, but didnt give me any big probs. Take care...Rich B.

I did , it's common when first dx . It's stress. I tryed all kinds of pills the only one that worked was valium. After a few wks and reality sets in I was ok. Good luck.

Hey There,

Apparently my father takes 4 mg of Decadron not the original 2 mg as I stated in a previous post. He's supposed to take 8 mg.

During a trip home last week he admitted that he barely sleeps at night. He averages a few hours a night and then he is wide awake. He just got cyberknife so he is really fatigued and not being able to sleep/nap isn't helping at all. It hurts me to see him this fatigued and knowing that he's not getting the rest that he needs.

He has a precscription for Ambien which I didn't even know about. He is afraid of using it in fear that he'll become addicted to it. He's also trying not to take take it because he doesn't want too many drugs in his system.

Any alternative - natural even maybe that anyone thinks may help?

Best,

Shirley

I don't sleep much anymore and that is part of my fatigue issues. I don't even sleep during chemo with all the Benadryl I get. I think it's stress. Last night I slept four hours, I tend to just toss and turn. Tonight I'm going to try Ativan and see if that works..I hope your mom finds a way to sleep soon, I know exactly how it feels to lack sleep.

Lilly

I Keep and Ursol,

I had a terrible time getting my sleep pattern in control while using Decadron. I think everybody else does too. I elected not to take any prescription meds but I don't believe now that it was one of my better decisions.

Hopefully, as time goes on and you get more comfortable with your team and treatment the fear and anxiety will diminish. That helps for sure. I still don't sleep solidly every night but it certainly is improved over those early times.

Keep the faith. It will get better and we're all pulling for you.