Megace

ginnyd

My husbands appetite is at best lousy. I saw Megace on this site and asked his oncologist about it this am. He said not a good idea for nsclc since it can cause blood clots. Just a word of caution.

Said using protein powder, like Gainers Fuel 1000 was okay.

Ginny

ginnyd,

The Megace was an absoulute miracle for my Father-in-law. His health was failing severely due to rapid weight loss. The oncologist agreed that we should try the megace and since then it has been incredible. He has taken a special liking to Jasons Deli (haha). He is actually eating more now than prior to his Chemo. If things should get more drastic due to weight loss, a second opinion may be warranted. I am definitely not a doctor and have little knowledge of the entire cancer treatment process, I can only share what we have encountered.

Best wishes,

Rick

Its amazing how each oncologist has his/her own idea of what could or should be tried. It's like they each have their own "comfort zone" and don't want to cross that barrier. There have been several things that my sister and I approached my dads oncologist with ie: the maitake mushroom and flax seed to help aid the chemo-which we had dad take anyway and the side effects from chemo were so miniskule-so maybe it worked), and aids in relieving side effects of chemo, or even the whole celebrex thing. He said "uh, well we don't like to use these types of things as they've not been proven to work." And I'm like :shock: "DUH, well if it hasn't been proven to work, has it been proven NOT to work?" He said it just hasnt been proven to work, so they don't use it-which was really annoying. I understand that sometimes herbal supplements can cause much harm, so you do have to be careful. But It 's so frustrating, because sometimes it just seem like the Dr's don't want to expand their minds and do the nutritional thing as WELL as the conventional thing. If we come across an article or something that someone here has posted as having a positive effect on someone, we still bring it to his attention, even if he does think we're a couple of doofuses. I swear, if I read that standing on your head singing the "Star Spangled Banner" backward worked, I'd tell dad "if you're up to it, give it a whirl" I mean, if he's game, what the hell, right?

Take care, Deb

Hi Debaroo,

First I laughed, then I reflected and felt almost like crying because, while you have defined the situation very humorously, you have also really targeted the prevailing medical attitude. Sometimes I uncharitably think,"Yeah, just wait until it happens to YOU or someone you cherish!"

P.S. I think I can use the wall to stand on my head for a few moments, but the backwards singing is waaaaay beyond me. Darn!! :wink:

Hey Deb,

Just wanted to mention that I just heard a couple of weeks ago that the Celebrex med's are really causing some major problems with lung cancer patients. Now, your going to say what are the problem? Well, I'm having a DAH :? Moment and for love nor money I can't remember what it was. But, they had it on the world news. Maybe someone else here on the board heard about it and can refresh MY memory as well. I use to say I was having CHEMO BRAIN when my brain didn't work right, but I've been off the chemo for 7 year and 2 months, so I guess I can't use that one anymore. And I'll be damned if I'll say I'm having a Senior Moment just yet, being I'm only 50?! :lol: No Offense to anyone who is a PROUD SENIOR, I'm hoping to become one some day soon myself! :D

Well, I hope someone else can put some light on this Celebrex issue!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Tiny, I couldn't even stand on my head, so you're "ahead" of me. (sorry for the bad pun :oops: ) I'm glad to see you posting again, Its been a while, and I've missed you.

Connie, thank you for the heads up about the celebrex, I'll have to keep my eye out to see if I find anything regarding the problems LC patients have had with it. It's weird, my dad has said that he'd be a guinea pig if need be, if it means a chance at a possible cure. And yet the problems that could occur with something new can be scary, because you never know when they can occur, or what they could be. Don't worry about the "chemo" brain, I've STILL got pregnancy brain (and unfortunatly a tiny bit of the physical residual as well) and my younger daughter is almost 27 months old!! :? Oh well, the gym seems to be helping with the latter, but my brain is on it's own, which is kinda scary. If you happen to remember, please post. Thanks, again. Take care all! Deb

Exactly HOW long can we use that one? I use it alot!! It still works for me :lol: Let us know about the celebrex. I am on vioxx 50 mg and it does not seem to be working as well as in the beginning, and I was told maybe I should swith to celebrex. Not until I know what the problem is now.

Also if chemo brain does not work try all those million of brain cells fried and later call it a brain cloud sounds nice.

I'm VERY interested in the Celebrex information, too. Maybe a New-Topic folder could be started for it and information entered there so that it would be easier to find???

Debaroo,

I wasn't posting because my husband and I took a nice 10-day vacation to Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho. We managed to relax a LOT, but also went downhill skiing twice at Schweitzer Mt. and once at Silver Mountain. It was good to have a break from the BIG C, but I missed all you guys and had you in my prayers. It was amazing to come back and try to catch up on all the posts...being gone just a little while made me feel sort of out-of-the-loop.

I had a scan and blood work done yesterday, but won't hear until I meet with my oncologist next Monday. Hopefully I'll have good results to post!

Keeping the Faith,

Tiny

Ginny,

For my mom it was take SOMETHING to turn her appetite around or die of malnutrition. If Megace has any adverse side effects the onc made no mention of it. She just told mom to watch out for the increase in the grocery bill she would be recieving! And the onc was right. Mom only took the Megace for a week and her appetite was restored to a healthy habit. Also, the bad taste in her mouth is all but gone so she can eat most anything. It's been a month and she's still eating like normal. We are all happy to see her disappearing act come to an abrupt halt.

Susan C.

Susan

Our doc specifically said with NSCLC. So maybe with your Mother's type it is alright.

My husband is not enjoying eating, but I am a BIG NAG and he is eating to get me off his back. I also make him get on the scale every am. I am more than willing to be this NAG to keep him as healthy and strong as he can be.

I am so glad your mother is eating and enjoying it.

Ginny

• 2 weeks later...

... there are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy ...

Yes the medical profession needs to open their eyes. Knowledge can actually cause too much tunnel vision, but it may be the insurance companies also. Our litigious society has caused doctors to take the "safe" side to reduce malpractice suits.

Do your research - certain things like mushrooms, noni, etc at least won't hurt

The mind is a powerful tool. The reason they have double-blind studies is to rule out the placebo effect.

Here is a great story ... hypnosis cures an incurable disease!!!

I saw Dr Mason on the discovery channel

dated August 23, 1952: Hypnotic Cure

A sixteen-year-old boy with a skin so thick and grey that he was known as "the elephant boy" had been completely cured by hypnotism, Dr. Albert Mason said in the British Medical Journal on August 22. Under hypnosis the boy was repeatedly told: "Your left arm will clear."

Describing the cure, Dr. Mason, who was Senior Registrar of the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, Sussex said: "From a black and armour-like casing the skin became pink and soft within a few days. At the end of 10 days the arm was completely clear from shoulder to wrist."

KEEP THE FAITH