Your not gonna believe this!!!!

nonni

Hi my dear friends...

Hope everyone is feeling well today...and getting better all the time...

Sooooooo I go for my yearly checkup with the 'onc' on Friday...I had already gotten the report that all was Ok from my GP...but still had to go to the onc and let him read the film...

Sooo I get in his office...after a brief consultation...that all was well...he said 'let me take a look at the film'...Soooo he opens up the big envelope and say's...smiling....'Pam..did you change your name to 'thersa meeks"....I said "noooooooo"...He said" well this is a 'brain scan' from a Thersa Meeks"....HUH?????....Can you freaking believe this....they gave me the wrong film and God knows where my CT film was...

So after the doc's office visit...I hightail my self to 'Advanced Radiolodgy" and stormed in there and said "I want to see the manager please"...The manager comes and I say 'I am verrrryyyy upset"..she say's 'what is the matter"...I proceded to tell her and she is apolizing all over the place....I told her 'this was unacceptable at a place like this...she agreed and said she would get to the bottom of this...

So I go on to tell her..."this is what I want"...I want you FIRST to find my CT scan...then I want the radioligist to read it all over again with another report to make sure it was MY scan that he read and not someone elses....She said I didn't have to worry about that...cause they no longer read it on a lighted screen...they read it off the monitor....She say's..when you are getting a CT ..it goes to a monitor like TV screen and the radioligist reads it from there....grrrrrrr....I was livid....Oh and I also told her not to dare bill my insurance company for another copy of my CT...she said she wouldnt...we'll see

NOw this poor Thersa Meeks...is probably wondering were her scan is....she probably has my CT in her folder...I know people are human and make mistakes...but this was really unacceptable....

I went today to pick up my CT and it was there...maybe they found it in her file...Anyway the good news...everything the same..no change and NED...Praise Jesus!!!!....hugs and continued prayers for all....PamS.

Hugs for everyone!!!! ( just love to hear those three letters NED!! Makes everything worthwhile an A O K !!wwwooooohhhhhhooooooo!!!!!!!!

PAM-

A big WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO on your NED!!!!!

And isn't it scary about the mistakes that can be made in the medical field?? I mean, mistakes can be made in any field, but the medical field..its just more scary. But Look on the bright side - at least your Onc noticed that it was the wrong file!!!

Glad to see everything worked out okay anyway..

Pam,

I'm so glad to hear your scan was fine. I can imagine what your doctor thought when he opened the envelope and saw a brain instead of a chest! :-) I'm supposed to go for my CT scan next Monday, but I don't see the doctor for almost another month. So I might just postpone the scan for a couple of weeks. No use waiting for four weeks for the results! I know that the medical professionals are just people too, and they make mistakes, but jeez they have to know how it affects us when they do stupid stuff like that!! We put our lives in their hands! Glad everything turned out well.

Luv,

Jan

Hi Pam, My hubby has a kidney stone every few years. The last time we went to ER, the poor lady in the next bed was having stomach pains too.

The doc came in to see her, said the x-ray showed she had collapsed lung and she needed chest tube. (Ouch!) As he prepared to do chest tube, he asked her if she'd been feeling sob, etc. She said no. Doc looked at x-ray again, and noticed it was for another patient. :shock:

Barb

I am so sorry this happen! Now for my knowledge the Dr should not of even asked if you switched your name or mentioned the other pts name because of the HIPAA law. If I were you I would request another CT to make sure that the one being read IS yours and I would definetly follow up with the manager at the radiologists office to see what has been put in place to ensure quality care in the future.

Pam,

My first place for treatment took Xrays of chest pelvis, cervical, lumbar and thorax spine, brain mri, abdominal mri, chest ct, bone scan - I don't even know what else. I needed to bring them to the radiation oncologist (in a different town, but affiliated with my health plan). They had lost all films! It took them over a month to find them! Didn't make me feel too secure about how they kept my records confidential!

Mary