Time is getting closer and I am a wreck

Robin

Hi Robin

I cannot really shed any light on what to expect from the chemo, just remember to drink plenty of water before and after and if the doctor has given you anti~nausea meds, take them regardless of feeling sick or not. It is better and easier to take the meds and be prepared as getting the nausea under control after is much more challenging.

Will be thinking of you as Friday comes. Let us know how you are and how we can help.

Chris

Robin,

I am hoping you have had a chance to be given a tour of the chemo room so you have an idea what it looks like. I was also very nervous on the first visit and I have a nursing background.

I took a cd player and a very soft and soothing CD with me to help me relax and past the time. They will offer you an anti- nausea med and perhaps a mild sedative. (Depends on hospital, I believe) My advice, take both. The chemo nurses are very knowledeable and experienced) You will be in safe and in good hands. Do not expect to become nauseated as you very well may not on your first treatment or even have minimal nausea throughout.

The Chemo saved my life so I now view it as a positive thing. Like Chris said drink as much water as you can before, during and for a couple of days post chemo. You can go to the restroom as much as you want during the chemo process. Drinking water is very important to flushing the body of any chemical build up.

You can do it Robin and please let us know how you got along. We are all routing for you.

Val

I think it's natural to be apprehensive about chemo, but it really will be just fine. You will have nurses watching you all the time, and as suggested, take a book or a CD or something to help pass the time.

I tried to visualize chemo poisoning the cancer cells in my body and making sure they were gone for good. I think it helped me to look at it as a positive thing instead of misery. Time will pass quickly and your course of treatments will be over.

During this time though, take really good care of yourself by trying to get good food to eat, some light exercise when you feel good, drink lots of water, and get a lot of rest.

Also, take the anti-nausea meds whether you think you will need them or not. It's hard to stop nausea once it starts, but sometimes by taking the anti-nausea meds regularly, you can prevent it.

I took mine for three days after my chemo whether I needed them or not and I really didn't get much of an upset stomach.

Cindy

Robin .... I do so understand what you are feeling. My chemo experience was quite positive from the folks that administered the chemo to the other patients that were receiving treatment at the same time. I could choose to sit where I felt comfortable either close to others to distract me or off by myself with a book or TV. The chairs we had to set in were much better than what I have at home and I always found one with the heat and massage feature. As a matter of fact, the last day I had chemo they had purchased brand new chairs all around. I had armed myself by filling two different prescriptions for nausea medications and still have both of them intact and unopened. As has been said before drink lots of water and take a lot of deep relaxing breaths and know that you can always come here and someone will understand what you are going through and dealing with. Best of luck on Friday everything will be fine. I will think of you at chemo if you will think of me in pulmonary rehab.

Judy

My dad was apprehensive as well. He has been doing okay. He hasn't had any vomiting and only experienced a little nausea. His appetite hasn't gone anywhere (you should've seen his plate at Christmas dinner :D ). He is also on taxotere and avastin. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Needhope

Robin,

You have to continue to think positive. Just because it is inoperable does not mean you can’t be healed. Mine was inoperable and no radiation. Let’s pray you have the same results as I did. I am now cancer free with two whole lungs about to try running a half marathon.

I took a lunch and my DVD player to every chemo. I watched funny movies and ate my way through chemo. Even if it was not lunch time, it was for me. After the first time I enjoyed and looked foward to every chemo. Do drink plenty of water. I try to drink an 8oz glass of water for every hour that I am awake. You must remember each persons reaction to chemo is different. I never got sick or very tired, and exercised 6 times a week. You may have the same good results.

Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi Robin,

Bring food. Lots of food. I was always STARVING during every chemo. I seemed to crave grapes during chemo.

And you might want to stock up on the Metamucil for later. :)

Sometimes they hand you a prescription for anti nausea as you are leaving. I learned to pick up prescriptions a few days BEFORE treatment...that way I had my drugs purchased and could go home right after treatment....but if a friend was driving me, we would shop and have lunch at the mall after my treatment. :)

Just be sure to let the nurses know immediately if you start to feel hot or flushed when they start the drip. Just 1cc of Taxol made me stop breathing and they had to stop the drip immediately and gave me lots of the Benadryl.

Good luck on Friday Robin. I know the nurses will take good care of you.

Barb

Barb

Can't help but weigh in here since I feel like ^%$@&* right now. I agree with everybody in general, that its not as bad as it has been made out to be. The first few cycles should be a breeze. Be careful what you eat on that day and the day or two after. I made the mistake of eating of indian food the day after and now just thinking about it makes me gag. A lot will depend on what you get (i got cisplatin/docetaxel) and how much.

I was cooking along for the first 4 or so cycles: eating, working, working out, etc. But now, I am about a week into #6 and I feel terrible. My taste buds are burnt ... fried. I can hardly taste anything and food kind of makes me sick (some more than others). Fatigue: get your slip-ons ready and buy another pair of pajamas. Nails/fingertips: watch out for neuropathy. I've found it to just be an annoyance (difficulty opening packages, wrapping, etc.). Mouth sores. Bloody noses. Hair loss. Insomnia. That's about it for me.

I have only one cycle left. It makes me so sick I ask my family not to mention "chemo" anymore. Just keep in mind that its cumulative and the beginning will be a breeze.

Let us know how it goes.

aaron

In my case, what I imagined chemo to be was much worse that the actual chemo. Try not to focus too much on the upcoming treatment because you might forget to enjoy Wednesday and Thursday! Like the others have said, lots of water, anti-nausea meds, and don't try to fight the fatigue when it comes up. Your body needs sleep to heal.

Good luck on Friday and keep us posted.

Trish

I'm sure it's scarey - it was pretty scarey to me, and I'm not even the one undergoing the treatment.

My Mom (83 y/o) went for her first treatment, and was a champ. She brought her walkman, crossword, and we packed lots of snacks (although Dana Farber provided more food than we could ever have eaten).

She also had a slight reaction to the Taxol, and they stopped the infusion - the infusion nurses are all great and will be watching you closely, and will give you as much info possible and pre-medicate you to prevent nausea or other side effects.

GOOD LUCK

Jen