Longtime lurker, first time poster

aquarigal

I've been reading the message boards here for a while but never felt compelled to post. But after an emotionally gut-wrenching week, my Mom was admitted to in-home hospice on Friday and my family and I are riding the emotional roller coaster that accompanies that, so it feels like the right time to reach out to this support community.

Mom was severely depressed (understandably) when her doctor mentioned "hospice," although none of us thinks death is imminent. But in her mind, this is the end and she started calling everyone she knew to tell them she was "checking out." It broke my sister's and my heart when she called our father to say goodbye (they divorced 2 yrs ago after 39 yrs of marriage). She kept saying that she just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up.

Psychologically, she's stablized a bit and now that she's settled at home she seems to be doing better. She's regained her appetite, although now she's battling nausea quite a bit, which she's never had before. And she's surprised us all by getting out of bed. She had made up her mind to just stay in bed and curl up and die, but she's starting to get out of bed for short periods of time - mostly just to use the potty chair - but that's a huge step from where we were last week.

In any case, my sister and I found this site several months ago and I have been reading the family members/caregivers board frequently and learning so much and taking great inspiration from others who have been there and share many of the same fears that my sister and I do.

I just want to say thank you to everyone here for sharing your experiences and your support for everyone who is touched in whatever way by this awful disease.

Welcome and sorry you have to be here but glad you are under the circumstances. For more info on Hospices in addition to personal experience ther is a link in the treatment forum for National Hospice palliative care organization. Hope we can help out. Glad Mom is doing better.

What treatments has mom had. It seems unusual to be in Hospice with so many good things going on. I personally never used hospice though so am not sure of a lot of things. I do know if Mom is fighting back she should be able to get a second opinion. However there are a lot of things I do not know about your mom.

Prayers and Blessings to you and oyur family at this time for better Days ahead. Sorry for the Rambling though.Let us know how we can help whenever you need us.

Welcome Kerri,

Thank you for coming out, now we can help you with support and prayers.

I am so glad you mom is taking some initiative and starting to improve her quality of life. I pray she continues along that path. Just keep encouraging her and tell her how proud you are for her strength.

I also pray that hospice will be a comfort to her and you.

Please know that we are here for you 24/7 for questions, support or prayers or just to vent.

Please make your mom as comfortable as possible and you and your sister share as much time with her as you can. That will make her transition so much easier.

Prayers sent to you and your family.

Maryanne