Chemo and Veins hurting

Heather_T

Hi Heather,

I never had chemo using veins, but jist all my initial tests were blowing veins. Request a port. They are inserted under conscious sedation, usually do not cause any discomfort and the chemo becomes a nothing, and they use it for blood as well.

Besides not harming veins, the port is connected to a large vein and it might mean chemo can be done faster (not such on this). Anyway, I am so glad for the port and the nusrses find it easier as well.

Mary

Heather,

Yes, my hands hurt and my veins were sore and felt bruised throughout the whole chemo experience. I even felt soreness if I touched a vein on my forearm where the chemo traveled up my arm.

It went away as soon as I recovered from the chemo treatments, but I would also recommend to you to get a port. My veins are shot now, and we (especially you!) are too young to be having difficulty with our veins.

Cindy

Well because of insurance issues I was unable to get the port. I only have 3 more chemos left and I hope my tumor has shrunk enough off my main artory to have my surgery. If doc tells me I have to have more chemo after surgery than I will have them put a port in then.

This sucks for anyone to have to go through. I hate to see anyone go through the pain of cancer but we all have to fight for LIFE.

Heather_T

Heather,

I had the same chemo (Carbo/Taxol)and it did hurt. What helped was a heating pad over the area a(vein) where I was getting the infusion. It expanded the vein so I could get chemo (Slow infusion).I was surprised, but it truly worked, chemo nurse knew solution. Hope this helps you. I did not have a port either. Veins didn't hurt afterwards either...

Sending hugs and prayers,

Karen