small cell

LISABETH23

Welcome, and I'm so sorry that you have this illness in your family. My experience is not with small cell - my husband has non-small cell LC. However, lot of folks on the board do have experience with small cell LC, and will certainly be weighing in to help you as needed.

(Might want to take a look at the SCLC forum category.)

I also want to tell you that if someone is telling you there is no hope, you may want to look for another opinion. While SCLC is a very complex disease, I like to believe that there is always hope. Take care, and (again) welcome.

Every one is different and responds to treatment differently. There is never no hope. He may not live for 20 more years but he may still have plenty of quality time left. Don't give up.

If you would fill out your profile it would help us help you. You will notice mine at the end of my post. That way you don't have to refresh our memories each time you want to post.

Nina

Hello Lisabeth and welcome,

I am so sorry you had reason to find a site such as this, but very glad you have posted.

My first thought when reading your post is GET A SECOND OPINION~ That is probably the biggest thing you can do right now, find a doctor who is willing to treat the disease and be aggressive! Perhaps at a comprehensive cancer center?

Please give us more information about the cancer, the treatments so far, etc so the other members can offer you some more and in depth advice.

Let us know how we can be of help and know that the wonderful people on this site will do what they can to be here for you.

My best to you,

Christine

Please go to the SCLC forum to read about many of us who have hope. I am a 4 1/2 year suvivor of SCLC limited type. When you get more information as to the type of small cell and the game plan, please post as history below your profile.

Second opinions are always possible, also.

Joanie ((()))

Hi Lisbeth,

I am so sorryfor the diagnosis - and I never believe there is no hope. Being realistic is good - lung cancer cannot be cured. Many however live for years after diagnosis. There are some stories here with SCLC showing NED, so take note. I have NSCLC, but was told 6 mo to maybe a year. That was 21 months ago and I atill live anormal life, work part time,etc. I just visit the doctor more frequently and need more rest. 90% or more of the time I feel so well, it's hard to believe I have cancer.

So, please have the doctor explain options for treatment. If he doesn't want to, look look for a second opinion. But most of all, try to make the verybest of any time - remembering all the good times and making new good times.

Best wishes.

Mary

LisaBeth,

First off, let me tell you, "Welcome to the boards." I am so sorry about your dad's diagnosis, but I am so glad that you found us. There are amazing people here. One thing I have learned is that we need to throw statistics out the door, and we also need to always keep hope. There are SO MANY survivors on here, and your dad could be one of them too.

My dad too had small cell, although he is currently in remission.

Let us know more about where you are in the process...chemo? radiation? limited or does he have metastices (mets)? how are his spirits? have you gotten a second opinion? did you have biopsy? how old is your dad?

Please know we are here for you. If you need anyone to call, please know you can call me...send me a PM and we can chat.

God's blessings to you...

Jen

Hi, you will see from my profile that I've passed the 5 year mark from my diagnosis.

Please stay positive about your Dad's cancer, a lot more of us survive than the statistics would have you believe. The stats are something by the way that you should ignore completely, they're very out of date and only serve to make it seem like a hopeless cause.

I'm sorry that you've a need to be here, cancer is such nasty thing but the people here will help you every step of the way.

Geri

Hi, glad to see you posting your Dad's history. I think it's always a good idea to get a second opinion and MSK certainly is a great place. Hope your Dad is feeling good today. I remember feeling somewhat relieved once I started treatment since I was "attacking the beast." Many of us feel that way.

Hugs to you all.

Joanie ((()))