First dose of chemo

dtay

Hi everyone

My dad had is first dose of chemo last tues (Gem/carbo regimen) - he was fine for 3 days, although he had debilitating hiccups. At day 4 he was sick, very weak and couldnt get out of bed, same for yesterday and today - we called the Doc yesterday and he said it could be a chest infection. Took Dad into hosp tonight as he is so weak and light-headed - his legs keep buckling under him. He is due for more chemo tomorrow but I doubt they will give it giving his condition. I am so scared that they will say thats it, we cant help any more !!.

Dawn

Hi,

The first two or three days are usually better because you have the effects of the decadron which counters some of the chemo response. I was also on the same chemo and dod not experience the problems you indicate. Once or twice, I took anti-nausea medicine, but that's all.

Hopefully, the doctors will determine what the problem is and be able to treat it.

Best wishes.

Mary

Thanks all - Dad seems to be a little chirpier today and the first question he asked the Doc was when can I get out of here !!! Apparently his WBC is ok but he has impaired kidney function now !! Could this be caused by the chemo ? He is still on a fluid drip.

Many thanks

Dawn

Just an update guys - Dads kidney function has improved, but now he has diarrohea !! This may be due to the strong antibiotics he is on for his chest infection. He is having daily physio as his muscles have really wasted suddenly and is managing to walk around with a stick.

regards to all - and thanks for help and support,

Dawn

• 1 month later...

Dad has had two rounds of chemo and the Onc says the tumour is stable (neither shrunk nor grown I assume)- the only problem is now that his blood counts are all low so they dont want to start any further chemo until they have improved. This has really knocked him back as he was quite upbeat but he now thinks that he wont be able to take any more chemo (even tho he feels ok in himself). Has anyone any advice ?

many thanks

Dawn

Hi Dawn: Dad sounds like a fighter! That's good. Low bloods counts are common and can be resolved with neupogen for low white count & aranesp for low red count. Sometimes chemo is postponed for a few days until white count comes back up. Also very important to drink extra fluids to clean out kidneys. Good Luck & God Bless

wendy

Glad to see he is still fighting this mess!

My mom has had to take a week or two off at a time and wait until her blood counts imporved. I think this is very common for people on long-term chemo. Hopefully the numbers will be good in a week or so and your dad will be back in the saddle again (as we say in Oklahoma!).

:) Kelly