Aranesp Risk

raneyf

What do you all think about the article from 2/27 outlining the risks of Aranesp and other drugs that use Epo for chemo induced anemia? My doctor wanted me to either get an Aranesp shot or be in a clinical trial (examining the best schedule of shots) because my Hematocrit is 10.9. It's my understanding that 11 is normal. So I told my clinic that I'm not anemic enough to consider it at this point, given the risk that it could spur tumor growth. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it next week, just wondered if everyone else gets the shot or if anyone had any thoughts.

Raney

Hi, I think the normal range for Hematocrit is about 36-44....Hemoglobin is around 12-14. I'm sure Oncologists have slightly different numbers that they can accept with Oncology patients, but 10 for a crit sounds pretty low. I'm pretty new here, but I was a peds nurse in my previous life! As far as Aranesp, I am also curious about what others think. My mom received it last week as her crit was a little low and she was feeling quite fatigued. It was until after she received it that I heard anything at all about the controversy. Shelley

Dr. West addressed this before. I don't remember if it was here or on ocntalk.com. In general, I don't believe he thought it was a real risk compared to the risk of low cell count. But I could be wrong. Still suffering from chemo brain. Try a search.

I just want to comment about your hemoglobin level.

If I have it at 10.9 I consider myself lucky. And

extremely lucky if it is above 11. Something in my family genes makes the hemoglobin levels so low.

It is not a problem for me. But I could never be a professional athlete with such low levels ! I do get

short of breath while exercising faster than other people.

I think men tend to run higher numbers then women do hemoglobin wise. My husband begins to receive Procrit if his numbers fall below 12 (Medicare rules & regs). I don't know about other insurance companies requirements. His has been up over 13 for the last 4 weeks, so hasn't needed anything to boost. Are the risks for Aranesp the same for Procrit? From what I understand, problems occur if people are receiving this to really elevate hemoglobin levels to much higher numbers (like atheletes).

Weisia, aren't you just dog-tired all the time with low levels?

Welthy

Yes, what I read recently is that they advice to elevate it to only 12 or slightly above and no more if possible. I do not remember what the problems were for higher levels.

Dog tired ? Not really. Mostly notice that I can not exercise as long and as easily as others. But I also have a very low blood pressure (70/50, 90/60) and that is more of a problem

Wiesia,

Wow -- I give you a huge amount of credit for even feeling like working out with pressure levels like that! Interesting to see how low pressure is a problem when you hear so much about high blood pressure. My pressure is also lower, but not at all like yours! I do get dizzy if I stand up too fast, etc. I figure God just gave me low pressure because he knew to protect me when I get upset so I don't stroke out! :D Tony's pressure has also continued to go lower as he has more treatment. His is usually 100/60 -- still a far cry above yours! (Funny thing is two of our kids have high blood pressure -- don't know what that is all about!)

Welthy

Nothing to add about the Arensap but I have always had low blood pressure. During my pulmonary rehab class whenever any of us would have a drop in blood pressure the therapist would set us down and have us drink about 12 ounces of water. Lo and behold the pressure came back to where it should be ... not sure why but it worked. I guess water truly is miracle!!!!

With the info that came out this weekend about the Aranesp I am worried about giving the shot to my husband tonight. He just showed me three/four nodes on his shoulder/lower neck....I am very concerned. He told me he would let me know when to call the Dr..... :? He is getting tired of all the pain... :cry: I don't know what to do......I'm scarred......

Joan if you have fears Let Oncologist know, and they should be able to ease them. THe main issue here the way I understand is the adminisered dosage; more so than the actual product and of course amount administered

• 3 weeks later...

I went in for my quarterly checkup yesterday and found out that my Epogen routine has been discontinued as a result of these findings and conclusions.

I have been receiving pretty heavy doses every three weeks for the past three years.

My Oncologist isn't very happy with the decision but feels that I've recovered to the point where taking me off should not be a major issue. I'm somewhat concerned because my Red Counts are so close to being back to normal that one more round "might" have gotten me there.

Apparently there isn't anything else on the market that comes close to doing what these drugs do. Guess I'll have to try some home remedies for building up the counts.

Good news is that everything is still NED so we trudge on.