Newbie with mom Stage IIIb

Sue S

Hello all,

Don't want to be here, but glad I found these boards. My mom was diagnosed with stage IIIb in July 2003. It was diagnosed during SOP for amputation surgery. Needless to say, she, and the family, is extremely overwhelmed. She is 73 yo, just lost her right leg, and is now fighting lung cancer. I also believe she is depressed (who wouldn't be?)

I have been lurking on these boards for a couple of weeks and found both hope and sadness. My prayers to all.

Sue S

Welcome Sue. Is your Mom diabetic? ( You said she had to have her leg amputated. ) What kind of treatment are they giving her for the lung cancer? Does she live alone? Sounds like a lot for her to cope with. Is she on an antidepressent? Now that you are here , please keep us posted on how she is doing. Donna G

HI Sue, Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to, but are glad that they do. I also live in metro detroit, western wayne county. So glad that you found our message board there are a lot of kind compassionate, caring , knowledgeable people here. I'm a stage 3 A/B sqamous cell L C survivor , been 16 months since I've was diagnosed and doing okay, not back to my normal yet, not sure I want to go back to that normal.

Take Care and best wishes to your mother and yourself. David A

Hello Sue,

Welcome to the club! I am glad your mom has you to worry about her, no one should be alone when this kind of stuff happens. Check with the doctor about the advisability of antidepressants, because it is a true roller coaster ride after initial diagnosis. I am a 3 year survivor of IIIa/b nsclc, and I found antidepressants and counseling to be absolute necessity.

This is a great source of support, information, and a shoulder to lean on or at least vent to....

Best Wishes to your mom and yourself. Remember, miracles happen every day.

MaryAnn

Sue, I'm so sorry you have to be here. I hope you can find comfort being on a board with a bunch of people that understand the shock, the sadness and the fear you and your family are going through. In addition, when I was younger, my grandma had her leg amputated above her knee and I understand the trauma involved with that as well. I have great empathy for your mother and you and we are here for you. We will help you with this fight.

Sue, what a bummer. I can't imagine how you or your mom must be feeling.

There is some great information on www.blochcancer.org that I wish I had known when first starting out as a caregiver. Give your mom a big hug from all of us and tell her it can be licked....