Can't get away from Smokers

blaze100

Everywhere I go there are smokers. I try to dodge around them but it is impossible. They stand in the doorways, they smoke walking down the sidewalks, they hang it out the car windows at the stop lights. I hate it.

Last week my own brother lights up directly upwind from me at a picnic. So I get up and walk away and guess what - he follows me. I walk further away. He follows me again. Finally I turned and said "I've already had lc once, I don't want it again" and he mutters a cuss word or two and tosses the lit butt about 10 feet away.

I am absolutely convinced I got my lc from extremely high exposure to secondhand smoke. Now I hate being around it.

Is there something wrong with me? Does anyone else have this problem?

Barb

Barb,

While I know my mom is newly diagnosed, just today as we were on our way to radiation she said how she can't stand to be around any smoke.

My mom and dad were at a resturant the other night and she said they had to wait to be seated in the bar area and she said she barely made it! She tried to find a far corner to wait in.

YOu are not crazy, you have every right to feel that way concidering everything you have been through. You have fought the beast. You should NEVER feel bad for wanting to breathe clean air!

I want you to know what an ispiration you.

Prayers to you,

Dana

Hi Barb,

I don't think I got my cancer from exposure to 2nd hand smoke, because mine was never that high - never lived with anyone that smoked. But, obviously my genes are susceptible to cancer from a small amount of carcinogens. So, now I'm crazy anti-smoker lady. I've screamed, actually screamed, at my husband to stear clear of a smoker outside of a Walmart because our kids "have half my genes." So far I've been passive agressive and just moved out of the way with the kiddos. Don't get me wrong - I love a lot of people that smoke, my uncles, some friends, my BIL and SIL, I just don't want it around me or my kids.

Raney

i hate it too but it dificult to get away from

in europe where they have baned smoking in public places it has gone outside so even though you have smoke free inside as soon as you go outside cig smoke is every where and whats worse is even if you start fanning the smoke away from you outside the smoker feels he/she has the right to smoke anywhere outside and they dont budge!

i havent been in a bar with smoke in a long time a few weeks ago i went to a busness meeting at a bar restaurant( i am in pennsylvania) by the time my dinner came i was sick from the passive smoke Literaly sick i came home a threw up!

it sucks i dont go to bar restarurants that have smoking

since the state of PA fails to protect my health in public places i would like to sue the state for NOT passing this law and protecting me

do you all think this would bring attention to states that have not passed the no smoking law i would also like to get Pa to be the first state to make it law for outdoor designated smoking areas and NO SMOKING ON PUBLIC SIDE WALKS Public Parks

just my 2 cents

Barb,

Your comment sort of surprises me as I see you live in California. I always think of CA as a state full of health nuts! You think it's bad there, try living in "tobbacco country", North Carolina. When I first moved here, I couldn't believe that people were walking through GROCERY stores with lit cigarettes. At least that has been outlawed now. Ellie

I know what you mean. I was diagnosed 5 1/2 years after I quit. My mother had lc 2 yrs. before my diag., and she had quit 10 yrs. before. I hate to be around smoke now. I have a few friends that smoke and thankfully some of them walk away from me when they light up... if they don't, I walk away. I'm amazed that some people don't understand! I live in Illinois and they are thinking about a statewide ban... I hope so!

-E :)

Barb,

You can't pin your exposure to secondhand smoke as the definite cause of your lung cancer. It could have been something in the air (refer to living in California and air quality), it could have been something in the water, and it could have just been a switch that was flipped in your body. My oncologist will not pin my disease on secondhand smoke, he says there are so many other contributing factors that are possible.

That being said, I do avoid cigarette smoke. It DOES make me cough like I'm going to choke out my remaining lung tissue and it gives me a headache. THAT could all be psychological, though...

I avoid restaurants that don't have a totally separate smoking area since that darn smoke has no manners and will float out of the imaginary force field that is placed around the smoking section. I have found my social life has been pared down, since obviously, bars and live music flow so much better with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. No dancing for the husband and I, can't even avoid the smoke at wedding receptions!

Until the laws are changed, WE are in the minority. You can whine all you want, but smokers have more rights that you, obviously. Go figure!

I have to say, though, that my job site is totally zero tolerance and to go to work, I don't even have to walk by an ashtray. Now, visiting people in the hospital or shopping...well, that can be a health hazard! ...and the stands at sporting events... :roll:

Take care, try to just breathe out around the smoke, taking a deep breath just before entering the area you need to walk through.

Keep writing letters, keeps making noise, some day, it has to change...

Barb,

You are not alone...I hate cigarette smoke now and hate people who smoke by doorways so that the rest of us have to inhale their smoke. What bothers me is that I was one of them not too long ago and it is very possible that someone with lung cancer walked by me and I was doing the same thing. I wouldn't have noticed at all as I just didn't understand. Therefore most of the folks doing this have no idea the effect on others they truly have. The nice thing is that as soon as I was diagnosed my company at work forced all the smokers in the building to go out to the sidewalk away from the door and walkway to insure I did not have to walk through their smoke everyday.

Lilly

I too cannot stand being around smoking anymore.

My bigger problem is holding myself back from screaming at smokers!! I have friends and family that continue to smoke and it drives me bonkers. I go to visit the onc and see all the employees outside the hospital puffing away. I can hardly understand my family members can see what I have gone through in the last few years and they continue to smoke. People in the health care business see the havoc it does to lives every day. I just don't get it.

Are they morons? Are they in denial? Is the addiction so strong that they cannot see how it has impacted my life, or potentially their life should they be touched by LC?

I don't have a family history of cancer (lung or otherwise). I don't know where and why I got it..... and i'm not really looking for the reason either.

I only wish that LC won't touch anyone else that I care and love.

Sorry, enough of my rant :shock: I feel better now.

Wendy

Barb,

I saw this post a few days ago and was going to reply but didn't. I was going through one of my days where I want to light up a cigarette, and actually enjoy walking through a group of smokers and smelling the cigarette smoke. I know that sounds crazy, after all I and others have been through, but its true. I know cigarette smoke is a horrible smell and certainly not good for me to breathe, but the addiction is that strong, even 4 years after I quit.

I can relate to you talking about your brother. My sister, who is 7 years younger than me, still struggles with smoking. She is one of thoes people who has quit for years, only to pick it up again, more than once. Two years ago, she flew up from Florida to help me with my Lung Cancer Awareness booth at the local arts & crafts fair, because she really wanted to do something for me. Of course every hour she had to go out in the parking lot and smoke- I told her for crissakes Lisa, make sure you walk behind the damn trees. She is my sister and I love her, and I loved that she recognized my attempts at advocacy and wanted to help too. So of course I accept the total package of her, even though I wanted to kill her for smoking at the lung cancer event. Of course, in some macabre way, it was sort of humourous and I'm sort of chuckling right now as I remember feeling like I was in some dysfunctional family sitcom. Hopefully, those that know me understand that I am able to find humour in just about anything, and irony is just about my favorite thing..

Sometimes I get frustrated Barb at her, at people at work, at my friends.. but I think its alot easier for me to separate the smoker from the person since I used to smoke too. I imagine if I were in your shoes, I would feel differently.

I went to a comedy club in Manhatten recently with about 25 co-workers and watched while almost 1/2 of them had to go outside several times during the act to smoke. Gosh, I don't miss THAT and how it runs your life. And you know, all of them know my history and that hasn't yet made anyone quit, so I keep my comments to myself unless I'm really having a bad day. The one thing I have found smokers listen to is talking about the need for early detection, and I hope that maybe I can make a difference in someone's life by continuing to speak about that. Apparently I can't make them quit! :roll:

Barb, I'm so glad that you posted this topic. I'm pretty new here and didn't want to make any "waves"...However, I have always had a problem with smoking...Long before my mom was diagnosed. I HATE it when I see someone holding their child in one arm with a cigarette in the other hand and frequently blowing the smoke into their little faces. Or just as bad, several people smoking in a car with a baby or small child in a car seat....It's not like the children have any choice about the that. Amazingly enough, with 2 parents that smoked (all the time and definitely in the car) none of us 5 kids (ahhh 48 and still a kid ) ever started. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to quit, but you would think a person could control the urge long enough to NOT smoke around a child. At least an adult can get up and move away.

OK,,,that's out of my system and I apologize if it was a little over the top. Unfortunately that is my greatest pet peeve.

Shelley

I always felt guilty if my smoke got around someone. I'd try to wave it away or turn around before exhaling. Now, thank God, I haven't smoked in almost three months, so I don't have that problem. But mom's partner still lights up right in the room with mom!!

Makes me want to ring her neck. . . .

Thanks for validating my feelings about second hand smoke. I know it is touchy subject here.

Before LC, I had no problem with smoke. It was part of the Midwest's social structure like drinking. I thought people who made a fuss over smoke were wacko alarmists. :) This is probably why my exposure was so high.

But now I equate second hand smoke with LC and both scare me.

California has smoking laws although not everyone complies.

Barb