Cant Eat

Donna K

I was wondering if any one can tell me of some foods that maybe my father can eat . He has been haveing trouble with his stomach he say,s that everything hurt,s or burn,s when he try,s to eat. He has lung cancer and has gone threw radiation and chemo for 6 weeks now He was severly dehydrated and had to get i v fluids today and tomarrow .He is down to muscle now weighs 137 has lost 43 or so pounds in 3 months. We have tried cold food hot food room temprature and it seems everything hurts .He takes meds that are suppose to help but does not seem to be working any suggestions would be appriciated. Thank you . And GOD BLESS YOU

Donna,

I am sorry I don't have any answers...I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and will keep your dad in my prayers. I have read about others here who have had the similiar problems, so I am sure you will get some answers. Has he tried Boost or Ensure?? All my best to you.

We used a lot of Pepto Bismol and persuasion. We gave the Pepto 4 times a day regularly. I did not know then but Pepto has an ingredient that helps heal stomach ulcers.

It is very hard to convince someone with stomach problems that eating will make the pain better but it will.

We would say OK just eat 2 bites, and a lot of times he would continue to eat. So if you get 2 bites of this then 2 bites of that pretty soon you have something down.

Half a can of Boost , sometimes the whole can is too much.

We went thru one period of 2 or 3 of those Lemon Fried pies a day. Now he won't touch them. Popsicles are pretty good. A big glass of water will help with the pain too, it dilutes the stomach acid, which causes pain.

Licorice is good for stomach pain. If you can stand it! Gator Aid is good.

Sometimes thinking about a whole meal is just too much. So just try a lot of snacks. Its not easy--just keep trying. Set a timer and every hour try to get a few bites and some liquid in.

Anne

Donna,

There was something my dad took when his throat started to burn. He only drank it a couple of times and his throat felt much better. The only problem is I cant remember what is was called. We purchased it at a heath food store, I believe it was some sort of supplement and I think it began with a G. I will search through my early post to see if I can find it. Will let you know. In the meantime maybe someone here might know what I am talking about.

For throat pain, my radiation oncologist suggested aloe. The pharmacy at the hospital carried it, it's liquid form and soothes the burn all the way down (and if you take more than a shot every 4 hours, it gives ya the runs, too!). The brand was "George's" and I can't remember the exact label but could send it later on...

When the irritation got worse, I was given a prescription for some nasty tasting stuff that used to be used for ulcers.... The regimen was a shot of aloe followed by the coating stuff....

I found swallowing liquids to be hard because the throat tends to take more of a liquid to try to force down. Soft solids would go down easier, mixed with saliva. Basically, cookies (Double Stuf Oreos) went down far better than the milk chaser...

Good luck, be persistent.

Becky

aka Snowflake

Swallowing, radiation, and stomach acid.

I sympathize with the difficulties. Not fun.

There was something the doctors prescribed for me they called magic mouthwash, which had some peptobismol, some lidocaine, some benadryl, and a topical antibiotic, I don't remember exactly how it goes but I can get it again with a phone call to the oncologist if necessary.

The doctor called for a sip (5 ccs) every 30 minutes or as needed. It took care of the swollen, painful throat, some swelling, the mouth ulcers. I also took zantac regularly ( every morning) for stomach acid. Frequently the esophagus doesn't "close off" well after radiation, and one gets a lot of reflux esophagitis.

I like the point made about liquids being hard to swallow, compared with soft food. I had a hard time with that for quite a while after radiation, ie it gets better gradually.

One thing about radiation: it keeps on giving and giving and giving.

Tell your dad this too shall pass. Maybe sucking ice chips or popsicles would work better keeping him hydrated.

Warmly,

MaryAnn

Just got off the phone with the oncologists office:

Mary's Magic Mouthwash:

swish and spit every 30 minutes as needed for pain, esp before eating.

liquid benadryl 25cc

maalox 25 cc

2% viscous lidocaine 25cc

nystatin 25cc

This is available by prescription, your pharmacist canmake it up. I sent it to my friend in Ireland (the recipe) and it fixed her eating/mouth throat soreness post radiation and chemo pretty well, at least so as she could eat.

The oncological nurse mentioned that there is a new available medication (by prescription) called Gel-claire, which is (she thinks) a premix similar to the above. This is in the US, in particular, outside Wash DC in Md.

I hope your dad has an easier time of it, and soon.

He'll eat more when he feels better. Also, chemo, esp with metals like platinum in them, makes things taste awfully wierd for quite a while.

So food just doesn't taste like... food....

I hope this helps.

MaryAnn

Donna,

My husband Buddy had a very hard time with radiation also. He lost 60 lbs from the surgery and radiation. He could hardly get anything down. Home made chicken soup seems the best. He also drank carnation instant breakfast because he hated the Ensure and Boost. To tell you the truth, he hardly ate for quite some time then one day it started to feel better and now he is fine with eating. He tried different meds the dr suggested, the freezing of the throat in order to swallow, - - didn't work well. Meds that didn't work well. when that throat hurts from radiation burn, it almost has to heal itself. He will start to eat again. Tell him to hang in and just take small amts as he can....anything is better then nothing....

Ginny,

Carafat/Carafax was what I was prescribed when the aloe stopped working alone... NASTY tasting stuff, but it worked! (I even had it flavored to try to cover the taste so it was grapey, nasty stuff...)

It does eventually dissipate, but not nearly as soon as you hope. I thought within days of radiation stopping it would get better, but it was more like weeks and then one day, I noticed I was better....(of course, by then I didn't have to take horse pills, either, but that's another story....)

Becky

Becky,

I had to take it in, but they gave Earl the Carafat before and after each treatment at Fox Chase. They mixed it with either grape or apple juice. He never mentioned it tasting horrible but he is a typical man and keeps it all in. He only complains about unimportant stuff.

Hope you are doing well.

Ginny

Weight -- Scandia shakes, mixed with 8 oz milk, give you 800 calories. make it with 12 oz instead and two scoops of ice cream, you have 1,000 calories..... and enough real shake to have a juice glass or so 4-5 times.

Although NIH gave them to me, I have also seen them in grocery stores, near the healthsupplements like ensure and boost.... and they taste way better....

I remember eating when nothing tasted like anything. The mouthwash, and the support of family at mealtimes really helped. It does get better, lots better, but it takes a while.

MaryAnn

Hi,

My dads chemotherapist anticipated problems eating so before they even began the radiation and chemotherapy they inserted a stomach tube. He didn't need it until the last week of radiation, but was very thankful when he couldn't eat due to the burning pain in when he tried to eat or drink. He is getting better and can tolerate water and soup now.

Kathi

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

My dads chemotherapist anticipated problems eating so before they even

began the radiation and chemotherapy they inserted a stomach tube.

He didn't need it until the last week of radiation, but was very thankful

when he couldn't eat due to the burning pain in when he tried to eat or

drink.

Kathi

That was very wise, progressive and outstanding patient-care by the chemotherapist! Hopefully, rather than a rarity, placing a G-tube will be part & parcel of standardized care.

The 5-minute procedure of inserting a G-tube can prevent potential starvation/dehydration precisely during the time a person requires sound & adequate nutrition perhaps more than any other time in their life.

It saved my life!

Wow! I completely know what you are saying and there is no one good answer. It's all a matter of trial and error. Eating smaller portions many times a day is a good idea. We kept a ton of junk food items all around my Dad's favorite chair. That seemed to work the best. As for dehydration, the only 'liquid' we could get him to take for a long time was frozen V-8 Splash/Smoothie.

Good luck to you!

Kris