Stabilization

BarbaraL

Greetings all!

I haven't posted in awhile, because I've been so busy enjoying life. I figured that you'd all understand. :o

My CT scan on 10/14 showed that my disease is stable, and after days of sweating it out over some liver spot, my onc finally called to say it's nothing--a cyst or scar tissue most likely.

I went to a pulmonologist for the first time yesterday, and I absolutely adored this woman! She was warm, empathetic and full of answers and questions. I feel blessed to have this woman on my medical team.

I've never admitted to you--this group--that I'm still smoking. There it is. The doc prescribed Welbutrin, and has put me on the path to be a non-smoker. I've known I have to quit for ages, but it's been easy to deny since my symptoms have been few. She made it clear how worse off I could be if I continue. Enough said.

So, from here, we go to Iressa at first sign of progression (with CT scans every 8 weeks), or clinical trial pitting Iressa vs. new drug, if the clinical trial is ready to start when I need it.

Your faithful New Jersey reporter,

Barbara

Glad you're stable. And congrats on taking the steps to stop smoking. It's hard, but it is doable. And you will be amazed at how much better you feel after you get through the worst of the physical withdrawals. Wishing you the very best in your efforts.

Fay A.

Congratulations, Barbara, on your stabilization.

Here goes.....If Barbara can do it, I can do it.

I too, must confess.. I have been smoking 2-4 cigarettes a day since the spring after my surgery (quit 8 months). I got so depressed I didn't care,

Barbara, if you can confess, I can confess, and risk Norme's tsk tsk.

:oops:

I know it's hard, and I'm going to have to deal with it the hard way, not in critical care for 3 weeks.

I can face cancer, I can face this. The hard way. Thre is no easy way.

Again, Barbara, Congratulations!! and enjoy life~~!!!!!

Good luck, let's get quit and stay that way.

"one is too many and a thousand isn't enough...".

MaryAnn

Barbara,

That is wonderful news, stabilization. Please try and quit smoking. I smoked for 38 years, when doc said does LC run in your family. He scared the daylights out of me. Walked in 1-10-03 smoking and have not touched one since, can't even stand the smell. I don't mean to lecture, just a caring board buddy. Good Luck and praying for you and Mary Ann to quit.

Warm Regards,

Karen

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Barbara,

I quit smoking after 14 years the weekend my step-dad was diagnosed. It is a difficult habit to break. I still want to smoke sometimes. Don't beat yourself up about wanting to smoke even after seeing its devastating results. I think the only way to never have a craving is to never start.

I'll be thinking of you :)

Good luck in your battle with addiction. Never been on THAT particular one, but have a suggestion...

When in the gas station/convenience store and the urge is there to buy that pack of cigarettes, buy the same amount of $$'s worth of instant lottery tickets - same "000", just better odds if you hit the 1 in xxx chance! Your "cigarette money" could be a heckuva shopping spree...

...just a thought...

...and no preaching from here. I'm not 100% sure lung cancer is directly attributed to ANYONE'S smoking - after all, I have/had it...as does BeckyG...and Hebbie... Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

Again, all my best in your fight,

Becky

Hey Barb-

Congrats on being stable !!!!!!! :):):):):) ;

Very, very happy for ya!! Good luck quitten the habit, I have faith you can do it!! Now go celebrate!!

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Update and answers to questions:

John, no one I've spoken to (and I've had *lots* of opinions) says I'm a surgical candidate. It all has to do with the malignant pleural effusion. Some medical literature I've read actually recommends that MPE patients be treated like Stage IV, even though technically IIIB. When I see my onc in a couple of weeks, I'm going to press him for more explanation on this. Even if it's academic, I'd like to better understand the *why* of it all.

I've been taking the Wellbutrin for about a week now, and it's made me a bit loony, with difficulty sleeping and vivid dreams. However, it also seems to have seriously reduced my physical cravings for cigarettes. I spent 4 hours in the Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday, with nary an urge (though the thought crossed my mind a few times).

The pulmonogist said I should set my final *quit date* for 2 weeks after starting the drug. So next Saturday it is. Meanwhile, I'm cutting way down and using every behavioral trick in the book. Wish me luck!

Barb

Barb,

Congrats! again to you on the good news! Am glad to hear you are going forward with becoming a non-smoker. Many of us know the challenges with that journey. One day at a time! Sometimes one minute at a time. We all find our own way to deal with it.

Am thinking about you! Keep busy !

Barbara,

Congrats, on trying to quit... Just put the money you save on cigarettes in a jar. Put it where you can see it as it fills up, it will be a reminder to put the $$$ in the jar instead of buying cigs. Then go on a nice week-end getaway or vacation with the hubby. Have fun, you deserve it... :D:D

God Bless

Karen

Barbara,

I used Karen's idea (putting the money I would have spent on smokes in a clearly visable jar). I numbered every day on the calender using a bright green ink pen so I would always know exactly how far out I was from having quit. On "milestone" dates I made plans to do something special. I told people that they were just going to have to deal with my new bad habits of being grouchy and intense, at least for awhile, because I was smack dab in the middle of ridding myself of the bad habit of smoking. :) Most people were supportive, but some actually asked me to please take up smoking again. I tried to keep my bad behavior to a minimum. I told myself repeatedly "I am no longer a smoker.", and I did so when I first woke up, whenever the urge to smoke would strike, and every time I would see someone else light up. I avoided people who smoked, and places where they smoked. (A little easier to do here in CA than some other places because smoking is prohibitted in most public places. New York has some of the same kinds of no smoking regulations.)

I ate celery sticks (I like them). A LOT of celery sticks. And I asked my husband (who at the time was still smoking) to not leave his cigarettes where I would see them. I didn't want to watch people on TV or films smoking, I didn't want to see the cigarettes or lighters on tables or in shirt pockets. I needed to not be reminded about them. (No one smoked in the house or cars for more years than I can remember. We didn't want to expose our kids to tobacco smoke)

Thinking of you today and sending you my best. You can do this.

I quit after 14 years and it took at least six times for me to finally quit. I used the Wellbutrin pills too and it was a wonder. As long as I remembered to take them and I stayed away from any temptation at all...it was a success. The pills gave me little side effects (they make me sleepy) but the plus was that these are anti-depressants and they seemed to help take the edge off really well. I took them again after my dad died just to help me get thru.

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU> Image how wonderful you will do when you are smoke free!

Katieb