Chemo Ports ?

twodogs

I've been lucky not to have to use a port in the past but seem to be getting unluckier recently by having more difficult sticks. My oncology nurses have finally decided to quit playing hide and seek with my veins and asked me to have a one installed.

So far, everyone I've asked has recommended that I go ahead and do it.

The main concern I have left is whether or not I can select the side where it gets installed. I do a fair amount of target shooting, (shotgun and rifle), when the weather allows. Occasionally it's all the exercise I get. I really hate the thought of giving that up if I don't have to, (health is always the #1 concern of course). I've been told that standard practice is to use the right side of the chest for the port but I think I would need it to go on the left.

Anyone know for sure??

Thanks

John

I can not offer anyhting personaly because Deb took care of that for herself and I do not know what options if any she was given.. If I find any info I will share with you though..

I do a a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of waterfowl hunting (starting my 57th season) and after my final visit with the Torasic Surgeon prior to starting treatments, I just candidly aske him about shooting and explained how much all of the hunting (I hunt other upland and big game as well) that I do during the year along with recreational shooting. He said "Go right ahead and enjoy what you did prior to all of this as long as the side effects of treatment allow it." I am left handed and so all of the surgery and treatment procedures have been accomoplished on the right side so minimize any problems that may occor. I have shot a lot since then and so far not a problem.

Dick

My port was placed on the left side, and there was no reason given for the choice. I'm left handed, but I don't recall being asked, so that may not have been a factor. My tumor is in the right lung. There's been no effect on my left side mobility, just a little soreness the first week after surgery. The only accommodation I need to make is to change the position of the shoulder strap when I'm driving, so it goes under the left arm and rides below the port instead of over the arm and riding directly on the port. Maybe not the best configuration in case of an accident, but that's the way it goes. If the port was on the right side, I'd have a similar situation in the passenger seat.

I see no reason why they couldn't put it on whichever side you prefer.

Aloha,

Ned

John, I'm trying to picture my wife's port in my mind. I seem to believe that it would be below the but of the gun no matter what side it was on, but it would be close, so it wouldn't hurt to ask. Kudos for the forethought, I wouldn't have even thought about it until after i fired the first shot and realized, man that's a bad spot.

Brian only had one hand.

They placed it so it would not interfer w/ his prosthetic strapping.

They had him marked for surgery and I caught the conflict at the last moment.

They put it on the other side.

You will appreciate the port!

It was a great decision for Brian and he never regretted it.

Just suck on a hard candy when they access it. Bri always said he could 'taste' the medicine and the lemon drop or peppermint helped.

P

Well, I'm ported. Everyone agreed that it would be best to put my port in on the left side to accommodate my shooting. Trouble is, when they went to install it my left side wouldn't cooperate. So now it's in and it's on the right side instead.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I can't believe I'm the only person who has run into this and so far, I don't even know if there would ever be a problem with it.

Also, as should be expected, ever since I agreed to have it installed no one has had a problem finding and sticking my veins for anything including blood, chemo, anesthesia, or anything else. :roll:

My sister now has a port and the oncologist told her since her cancer is in the right lung, they would put the port on her left side.

I am very excited as my sister is coming home in January for a week! I haven't seen her since May 06 and she was diagnosed in 12/06. She tells me her hair has grown back, but now is all white :( But at least she has hair!! :)

Diana's new meds are (and I know I am not going to spell them correctly) Nuvobene, Gemzar and Avastin.The RNs told her the worst side affect she would have would be that of fatigue. I hope it is no worst than that. When I talk to her she sounds super! I am just so excited to see her!

Diana told me she can't have pork??? She said the MDs told her to stay away from it. Does anyone know why?

Guest hearrean

I think Suzy brought out a good point as to the reason for which side. When I had mine installed last week, they told me that since my tumor/mass was in the upper right lobe, they would put the port on the left side so, in case I had to have radiation in the future, the port's placement would not interfere with that therapy. Made since to me.

Of course I must tell you that mine is still very sore & when I drive (since it is on the left side), I have to put a towel under the seat-belt strap to keep the belt itself from applying too much pressure on the incision(s). Another wierd feeling is the tube that's connected to the bottom of the port that goes into the vein. It feels so strange to feel that small tube right underneath my skin. It actually feels like a large vein.

Ken

Ken,

I think that relationship to the tumor and the possibility of radiation is a big factor. In my case they've indicated I can't have any more radiation but the surgeon was hot to go for the opposite side of the chest anyway. So far I'm still soaking off the bandages and ink marks and haven't exercised the incision area. It's definitely tender though and I get that same sensation of having a large, extra vein going up into my neck.

I'll find out tomorrow if it's ready for use.

Kleen Teeth,

I've never heard anything about eating pork and have no idea where that came from. If I can remember I'll ask tomorrow.

John

That's an interesting bit of news - don't eat pork. John, please ask about that (as you said you would). I've never heard anything like that. As for the feeling in your neck. You'll get used to it. My neck felt funny for a while last June after my port was removed. Something was missing.

Muriel

Thanks for all the replies! :) I will ask my sister again about the pork deal. Diana is complaining about discomfort with her port. When they put hers in, they put it too close to her heart and had to put her back into surgery to correct its placement. She had been told she would be able to go have her treatment right after placement, but she was too sore after the surgery, so they couldn't do it. She is telling me she still has the bandage type strips covering it. She did tell me when she got her first treatment last week Tuesday, the RNs had a tough time using the port, but once started it was fine.

Guest hearrean
"Muriel"]That's an interesting bit of news - don't eat pork. John, please ask about that (as you said you would). I've never heard anything like that. As for the feeling in your neck. You'll get used to it. My neck felt funny for a while last June after my port was removed. Something was missing.

Muriel

Check out this link I just found:

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/ca ... at_dc.html

Ken

Thanks Ken,

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/cancer_meat_dc.html

I found that last night too. Then I asked the oncology gals about it and none of them had heard of it yet. They did all say that they had never specifically heard about not eating pork. So, I guess we're sort of faced with a choice of a healthy vegan slanted diet or continue on with what we did before and hope our drugs protect us.

I've heard and can't cite any sources, that everything I liked for food was always bad for me only now it's worse.

One of my first reactions to all this treatment was serious weight loss. I lived on ice cream, puddings and cream filled pastries for about a year. It drove my cardiologist nuts but every pound I gained was a thrill to my oncologist. I still thrive on high protein meals, good whiskey/wine and rich desserts. I did not like reading the summary of this latest report. :oops:

Regarding my new Power Port, today was day one.

We had a hiccup or two making the first connection, presumably because of the swelling. Then it took a couple more shots to get it flushed and then we were off to the races. It worked very well. I don't know if I'm ready to give it a four star recommendation yet because I still have a small amount of bruising, swelling and peripheral pain. Next week is my off-week but I will have a Cat Scan, blood counts and visit with the doc.

Again, IF I remember I'll give another report on the PP.