Women and Their Hair

ursol

Hi all,

I got my short hairs cut and cleaned up today, they were all different lengths. The last few treatments of chemo did not knock out my hair and I'm in a rest period for now. Not sure what treatment will be next so I'm trying to muster up the courage to take off my wig for work. I think I look okay with my very short boyish haircut that my hairdresser cleaned up for me today. I sooooo hate the wig and don't feel like myself but I'm afraid to shock the office folks. I just need to get the courage to walk through the door. Why do we make such a big deal about our hair...Men don't worry about stuff like this. Argghhhhhh

Lilly

Hey, Lilly, make it an event! Go in with a flourish and say "okay, gang, what do you think?" You could even have a friend precede you by a few seconds to announce the new look -- an advance man, so to speak.

My Tarceva rash has prompted me to stop shaving, for the first time in my life. One of these days I'll be faced with a situation similar to yours when going to some function where I'm known. But I don't yet have that problem, since Tarceva has everything growing so slowly. So for now and probably a few more weeks I'll simply look scroungy. But it sure feels nice!

Aloha,

Ned

As soon as I had a buzz the scarfs went off. Then I bleached my hair. Have fun with it!!! You are a beautiful person and don't worry about what people say. It was great for 4 months before I was bald again. This time when my hair decides to grow I am going to try a brunette with some highlights. We will see. I say take it off it's worth it. Wigs SUCK!

First of all, yes men DO have problems when it comes to losing there hair! Some of them are worse then women! :wink:

None the less, I hated wearing wigs too. Hats hats hats worked for me. I think I wore my wig about 20 times in total over 8 months time. It is what it is and we're bald because we're working on staying ALIVE! :D:wink: Cancer causes a lot of things, and being bald is one of them. :wink:

People are more accepting then you think! I had fun wearing different kinds of hats. I even had one hat that said, " BAD HAIR DAY" on the front of it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Col hates her wigs as well. i can't believe the hairdresser talked her into wearing one for her sister's wedding. That's about the only time she's worn it. If she wears anything it's usually a baseball cap, but she isn't shy about walking around bald, or with what now looks like a crew cut. She does that quite a bit.

IMO it says hey, I've been thru the sh** and I'm still here. I say go for it, and don't look back.

I bought a wig and absolutely hated it!! It hurt my head!! So I went into scarfs. I met a gal who makes them and they are very long and you can have them draped over your shoulder!! Very pretty!! When we went to Arizona over the summer, a lady came up to me and said - Oh, don't you look cute with that beautiful scarf on" We got to talking and then I realized that she didn't realized why I was wearing it!! Must have thought I was making some new fashion statement.

I have hair again and actually had to get it trimmed up. I also had her put hi=lites in. Told her I didn't want to look like a "ho" but I wanted them to stand out!! I waited too long for hair again to not have it be noticed!!

So just walk in with your head held high and be proud!!! You deserve to feel that way!!

Patti B.

I just want to tell everyone that I did it. I walked in to work today without my wig. It felt really good. Some people pretended like nothing was different, others complimented my new great haircut:). And my close friends at work even wanted to touch my hair, they were excited to see that my hair had grown back. All in all, you guys are right, people are far more accepting then we expect. I had a great day...I'm soooo happy to finally get that wig off. I feel like a new person.

Lilly

Lilly-

YEAH!!!!! YOU ROCK!!! Knew you could do it but I also understood the self-conscousness (sp) of going out the first time with "hair". Don't know why, but it is a scary thing!! I loved the first time I went out I rolled the car windows down and let the wind blow my hair around - it felt so good and normal again!!

Hugs - Patti

Lilly,

Glad to hear it's coming back, be kind to it in this fragile state (watch the chemicals you subject it to). I waited a whole year to color mine after it started to fill back in.

I didn't lose all mine, just pieces - first all the blonde strands, then the strawberry blonde...never realized how much I'd appreciate the mousy strands until they were all I had! When it started to fall out, I didn't know how much I'd lose and had a plan (after all, with a plan, anything can be faced). Once I had a shiny chrome dome, I was going to get some temporary tattoos of eyeballs on the back of my head, to prove to my son that I DID have eyes in the back of my head - and any other kids that might see me!

:wink:

Take care,

Becky