A "Shordy's Daddy" update

shordy

Hello everyone, I wanted to update you on Daddy's progress. Some bad news, some great news. He's been in a rehab place for a couple weeks to try and walk. He can walk a little w/the help of a walker but it's not very good. He still can't totally stand up by himself. BUT: I went to see him the other day and every time I go, I see more progress. His latest craving was for stuffed crab, so we took him some, he ate them down really good which was so good to see. I'd still never seen Daddy anywhere other than in the bed since Feb. 4th, well, he sorta put on a little show, he got himself into his wheelchair which was amazing for my Husband and I to see, wheeled himself all the way outside to set with us a minute before we left. He's on the 8th floor, so it entailed a good bit of wheeling and such. He did the elevator and all the turning and such. One of the neatest things was his attitude change, WOW, what a difference, this is a man who was just told the other day that his CT scan came back showing that he has 2 spots on his liver and the cancer in his lung has grown again. He said this time he's not going to let it get him down like he did last time, and he sure is doing it. I saw a different man, he joked with us, talked to strangers & just seemed to have a generally different outlook on life. He's probably going home in a week or 2 at the most and he's hoping to walk out of there & is talking about planting a garden. Even if he doesn't walk out of there, this man is going home with hope, just being able to be mobile by himself even if it is in a chair. What a good day it was to see him like that. I watched him leave us, starring at the back of my Daddy in a wheelchair was sad but at the same time was the neatest thing to see, my Dad being mobile instead of in a bed. I wanted to help him back to the room, but I knew I had to let him do it himself. He even joked that he has so many friends there now that he'll probably have to go back to visit them! Just a few weeks ago, he said he didn't have any friends. I'm very thankful for this website, giving me the opportunity to share this with all the sweet people here. Thank you all again for caring. I hope my next update I'll be able to tell you that he walked out of there. Love, Shordy

that IS AWESOME. Why can't he have rfa if it is just 2 spots on the liver?

The liver regenerates itself very fast, so a little can be removed with out a problem. Are the mets in different lobes of the liver.

Best of luck.

God bless,

John

Guess what?? As soon as Daddy retired, he got ill. He said that all he ever wanted to do was to go fishing. Well, today, the rehab place took him fishing!!!!! I've got tears in my eyes and I just can't get over it, DADDY'S FISHING. He's also able to stand up by himself and he walked the distance of the hallway which is a good long distance. His coordination isn't so good, but he's coming along. I just couldn't wait to tell everyone. Thanks for being here for me.

You guys are the neatest! When I call him today, by now that fish that he caught will be huge by now!! I can't wait to talk to him. He sure has taught us all that's been around him, that everything is "small stuff." I don't get aggravated at things that use to make me mad, we're alll just glad when we get another day with the ability to walk and aren't in a hospital. He's also changed our lives. Thanks to you all for your thoughts & prayers! Love, Shordy

I just talked to Daddy and he said that he was the only one that caught any fish. He also said that the Paducah KY newspaper took his picture along with his fish (the size of a minnow he says!) and it'll be in tomorrow's paper. I can't wait to see it!! He said he really enjoyed it. I asked him if he "showed out" and he laughed and said yes. He says he's going home this next Friday and when I asked him if he was going to walk out of there, he said he thought so, if not, he said he can at least hobble out of there! He's in good spirits, thanks so much for everyone's support! Love you all, Shordy

The beautiful thing here, actually there are many, but the one that I see standing out above the rest is that you started this positive wave by confronting your dad with love. Your healing with him and your honesty started him down this exciting path. Bless you, Shordy. Don

Yesterday was our Family Day at Rehab to learn all the "druthers" on how to take care of Daddy. He's going home Friday. It went great, it was amazing at what that place has done for him. I got to see him walk with a walker and climb up steps and so on, it's just amazing. They think of everything there. I only made one big boo boo. Daddy was walking down the hall and had my Dad's (step) daughter-in-law on one side, the therapist on the other and me following behind with the wheelchair, now mind you I haven't the first clue about how to take care of anyone or am not use to wheelchairs & such, well there we go, my job looked easy enough, we then see a younger guy standing there with his walker along with a therapist next to him and as I strolled slowly by, I almost knocked his walker out from under him! I was so embarrassed, I apologized as I turned 3 shades of red. I didn't realize that there was that plastic foot thing sticking ten miles out to the side! The therapist laughed and I told him not to tell Daddy and he said "why, would you get in trouble?" And I said "YES!" It was a fun & neat day to see just how much he could do. I'll let keep you updated. This place has been the best thing for me to be able to get through all of this and now to be able to share all the great things too! Thanks everyone! Love, Shordy

Today is Daddy's last day in rehab! Yeah!! They gave him & my Stepmom a steak dinner last night. She said that he ate every last bite of it all. He can walk pretty good with a walker and can stand up by himself. He's looking forward to going home & mowing the grass. What a great place this rehab place is. They're giving him a week before they start him back on chemo. I'll keep you all updated and hopefully will be telling you soon that he's walking without any help. Thanks so much to you all. Don, I hope you didn't hurt yourself falling off your chair at my "doctor visit" story!! I'm still trying to get off the floor from humiliation!! Love you all, Shordy