Insomnia and chemo??

Dad wanted me to ask everyone if being tired and sleepy but not being able to sleep is a chemo or radiation side effect. He had his second chemo this past Wednesday and his 7th radiation today and he hasn't slept since Tuesday night. Other than being tired and sleepy he feels great. Not sick and has a ravenous appetite. He didn't bother to ask whether or not he could take a tylenol pm or anything to help him to sleep and I don't know whether that would interfere with his tx's.

Anyway just asking for any suggestions.

Blessings,

Teresa

I'm sure other members may be more knowledgeable than myself on this subject. I just started chemo. ( Cisplatin/Vinerolbine ) 2 weeks ago, and I have been having the same symptoms as your Dad.

Teresa - my mother had trouble sleeping as well - mostly due to the chemo and sometimes the steriods. The doctors put her on Ambien CR almost two years ago, and it's worked since. It's not a heavy duty sleeping pill, and relatively easy on the system. She is on TONS of meds, and the oncologist and her regular doctor said it doesn't interfere. Check it out.

I had trouble sleeping at times when I was on chemo.

They told me it was the Decadron, which is a steriod that they infuse along with the chemo treatment to reduce side effects.

In my case, I also think there was a little anxiety working there as well.

Cindy

Your dad is probably on decadron to help ease the nausea from chemo. It also is an appetite stimulator. if he were to go on ambien, he should get enough sleep. I use ambien to offset my insomnia from the prednisone I am on and it allowws me enough sleep to get by.

don m