Whole Brain Radiation and Hair Loss

Peachy

Welcome back Preachy! We have all been wondering how your doing? Good to see you post.

I have never had WBR, but I know many who have. I know most of the ones I know say, it takes a good year before it really comes back in after WBR. For my sister it took about 8 to 10 months before she didn't feel she needed to wear a wig.

Hope your doing well!

Preachy: Didn't have radiation but Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin took all my hair after one infusion. My husband keeps telling me that after five infusions, it's growing back. Bull, what's there doesn't even amount to peach fuzz and I'm looking at it in a magnifying make-up mirror. Fortunately, two people recently referred to social situations where women are showing up sans hair voluntarily???? It's supposed to be "in" right now. Go figure.

Judy in Key West

When we loose our hair to chemo or PCI/WBR) radiation there really is a difference for most.

Mary Colleen stated after her hubby completed his radiation his hair came in patchy, and I have to agree with that. I've seen many many many many lung cancer survivors (from my Lung Cancer Support Group) over the years, (not to mention other kinds of cancer) and those that do chemo and WBR/PCI radiation really do come back different from one another.

I'm sure you look beautiful with our without! Hang in there. This too shall pass! Sending Get Well Wishes.

Hi Peachy!

Good to see you post again. As the others have said, like much of what happens with LC, it's the luck of the draw.

My BIL had a couple of rounds of chemo plus WBR and his glorious head of hair came back spotty.

My husband never had WBR, but a lot of chemo, and his hair was about 1/3 of what it was before treatment and very fuzzy looking.

Good luck and I hope your tresses come back in full force!

Welthy

Welcome back!!!!! Yes the hair grows back, & really strong. The problem is that take a little longer, I will say two month after.

You are preetty without hair. You will get use to be with out. Think positive... not bad hair days....don't spend money in shampoo....and amny others more

A big hug bucky

Well my chemo had about 1/2 within 2 months after my last chemo. It has taken some time to get my hair this time. My last WBR was was in the middle of Sept. It is very thin and I have a strip down the middle that has just fuzz on it. My back is patchy. I look a little silly when I am outside with nothing on my head but oh well.

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. You are very precious and comforting to me and our other friends on this site.

I had 10 WBR sessions that ended on October 5, 2007. I only have some peach fuzz on my head as yet. I am hoping for a little more hair. At this point I will not go out without a scarf or wig on my head. :(

Thank you again,

Peachy

My mom is in the same boat you are. She had WBR in August 07 and her hair has only grown in some places, while in others she is still completely bald. She has a little on the sides, and two patches on the back. She is hopeful that eventually it will come back.

I am totally bald as well...and without most of my eyebrows and lashes! I have been told (from chemo) that I would be without hair for at least 8 months. There are some benefits to being bald. Takes way less time to get ready. And where I live, it rains...alot. I am back at work and have told folks on rainy days that it is a good day to be bald. The rain doesn't wreck your hair!

I have chosen not to wear a wig as I think many of us do. It is just not me. It bothers me the most because it is just such a visible sign of not being well. So I just smile at people lots (like I would normally do), and engage them in conversation. I find that helps getting over any initial discomfort and they and I soon forget about any illness/baldness.

It does get easier...but I sure do miss my hair.

Take care

"When the going gets tough, the tough get waterproof mascara" (assuming you have eyelashes left after chemo!)

I can say "bald is beautiful" until the cows come home but don't really believe it. I have worked up to going out to get my mail or paper without hair. I even let some neighbors in the house when I'm walking around bald. When I go out anywhere else, though, I still do a wig or scarf. It's not the worst though. The worst is my eyelashes. I would say my eyes were my biggest vanity when I was young. I'd already started thinking they were thinning with age before I was diagnosed. Now with only spikes here and there and little eyebrows to speak of, I look in the mirror and am a pale shadow of myself. I don't expect to be beautiful or even particularly pretty at age 64, I would just like to reconize myself! Oh, in time they tell me....

Judy in Key West

• 10 years later...

My husband lost his hair two weeks after WBRT, then 4 months later lost his short term memory.He will never work again, most likely. Please be happy that your brains are ok. God bless all of you!

Archived